Windows 10: 66 GB of weird files suddenly appeared

Discus and support 66 GB of weird files suddenly appeared in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, I would like to ask you for help. Every 2-4 weeks I do backup of all my personal files from my PC to an external HDD. All the files and... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Martin_Libiak, Sep 27, 2020.

1. 66 GB of weird files suddenly appeared

Hello, I would like to ask you for help.

Every 2-4 weeks I do backup of all my personal files from my PC to an external HDD. All the files and directories on the HDD are duplicates of those on the PC so I have everything twice and I do the backup by syncing the HDD according to the PC I have got an app for that.

Since March I have been disconnecting ethernet from the PC everytime I plug the HDD in.

When I came to check one of the directories on the HDD, I found many files that have never been there before. They all have weird names with special characters and around 1 GB in size:

66 GB of weird files suddenly appeared [​IMG]

These are properties of one of them notice 0 bytes

On the HDD, this thing happened in this single folder only.

This is what the same directory looks like on my PC and what it should look like on the HDD as well:

When I tried to delete the entire directory, which contains these weird files, nothing got deleted, no error message displayed. When I tried to delete one of those weird files, nothing happened again. When I tried to delete one of my personal files that were there originally, it got deleted in standard way.

So what could this be please? Could it be a virus that could damage files on my PC as well? I have always had Avast antivirus installed on my PC. Or is it that the HDD just got broken somehow? Thank you for your replies.

PS. I am currently running a deep virus scan of my entire PC. I think I should not use the HDD anymore and rather buy a new one.

:)

Martin_Libiak, Sep 27, 2020
  2. pbcopter Win User

Weird WAN Miniport adapters suddenly appeared

Those are normal but usually hidden. I don't know why your's are showing.

Why is this post marked solved? Have you resolved the issue?

pbcopter, Sep 27, 2020
  3. Brink Win User
    Extensions in Firefox 66

Source: Extensions in Firefox 66 | Mozilla Add-ons Blog

Download: Latest Firefox Released for Windows - Windows 10 Forums

Brink, Sep 27, 2020
  4. 66 GB of weird files suddenly appeared

files appearing 180208aa

Hi Fred,

For us to narrow down your concern with files appearing 180208aa, we would like to know the following:

• Were there any changes made on your computer prior to the issue (e.g. updates, software installation)?
    • When did the issue first begin?
    • To make sure that we have not missed on anything, what troubleshooting steps have you done so far?
    • Are you referring to Microsoft Office Word? Which Word version are you using?

As an initial resolution, we suggest that you try repairing your Office application by following the steps in this
    article.

We look forward to your response.

Michael Gall, Sep 27, 2020
Thema:

66 GB of weird files suddenly appeared

1. 66 GB of weird files suddenly appeared - Similar Threads - weird files suddenly

2. weird files just appeared

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    weird files just appeared: so i was just using my pc and i go into my hard drive and all these weird files appeared and i'm not sure what to do with them and the weird thing is i haven't had my pc since 2007 so like...
  3. Rendering video and sudden black screen flashes and weird thing appears

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Rendering video and sudden black screen flashes and weird thing appears: so, I was rendering a video at the time, but i suddenly ran out of memory and made my second monitor turn off and my laptop screen flash closing everything. when explorer came back, this weird, corrupt looking thing appears, and my resolution is set to 1920x1080 and cannot be...
  4. Weird language appearing.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Weird language appearing.: Hey there, thanks for checking this out btw but i have sort of a bugg, some programs that i use are half english and half a diffren language i dont even know if its a language see pictures below I have never had this problem, is it maybe because i changed my font? Thanks...
  5. Photos suddenly not appearing in File Explorer

Photos suddenly not appearing in File Explorer: I regularly transfer photos from my iPhone to my PC, which runs on Windows 10. Photos are transferred using Microsoft Photos and then immediately appear in File Explorer in files according to month and year. However, as of 2/15/19, my photos can no longer be found in File...
  6. Extensions in Firefox 66

in Windows 10 News
    Extensions in Firefox 66: Firefox 66 is currently in beta and, for extension developers, the changes to the WebExtensions API center primarily around improving performance, stability, and the development experience. A total of 30 issues were resolved in Firefox 66, including contributions from several...
  7. weird file appeared after update to ver1809

in Windows 10 Support
    weird file appeared after update to ver1809: Hi, I don't know if this is a problem for sure but I noticed that my C: drive suddenly lost 10 gb of free space. Looking at C: directory I noticed a folder titled 100 that used 9.91 gb that I didn't remember being their before; its subfolder 880 and 880 s subfolder has WINSxS...
  8. Weird WAN Miniport adapters suddenly appeared

Weird WAN Miniport adapters suddenly appeared: WHats up guys? so im having an issue where all these WAN Miniports suddenly appeared in my device manager and i have no idea how to get rid of them. apparently im connected to my wifi through 2 adapters, one seems to be a virtual adapter. how can i get rif of these things?...
  9. Weird file appearing on windows explorer "recent files"

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird file appearing on windows explorer "recent files": Hi everyone my name is Rod and I have a weird "problem" and not sure if I should worry if at all, it's my first time posting here and if I make any mistakes I apologize in advance. I recently did a fresh install of win10 x64 on my HTPC and everything works fine except for...
  10. Weird file appeared with file type of kdiw

in Windows 10 Support
    Weird file appeared with file type of kdiw: So I have a weird file that just showed up in a folder titled gigeg. It is in the users/appdata/local path. File is uhgawgi.kdiw. Any idea what the heck this is? 106605