Windows 10: 6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it?

Discus and support 6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Folder named "$Windows.~WS" is about 6Gbyte. What is it doing? I had it after I upgrated from windows 8.1 to 10, but after a clean install I assumed it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Burgurne, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Burgurne Win User

6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it?

Folder named "$Windows.~WS" is about 6Gbyte. What is it doing? I had it after I upgrated from windows 8.1 to 10, but after a clean install I assumed it would be gone. But no ... after a little while it is back and it is STILL around 6 Gbyte.

What is it for? Can it be deleted without ruin the WIndows 10 installation?

I also now got a folder named "$Windows.~BT" but that is only 395268 bytes, so that is OK ... I think.

:)

Burgurne, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Erdeslawe Win User

hidden folders in drive C

To follow on from the previous response, you will find that the $Windows WS Folder remains after using the Disk Clean Up utility.

This Folder is used by Windows Update whenever there are any further system updates to Windows 10 so I would resist any temptation to delete it or its remaining contents.

Erdeslawe, Aug 1, 2015
  3. AadityaSingh2308 Win User
    hidden folders in drive C

hI iHAVE some hidden folders in C drive like $Windows WS AND $Windows BT.

Ist one is 2.13 GB and 2nd one is 44kb.

could u guide as to if i should delete these.

AadityaSingh2308, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

WS is windows setup..

Use disk cleanup - clean system files > to remove

Kyhi, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Burgurne Win User
    But why is this folder comming back? As written, I did a clean install (from a bootable USB-pen), so why would Windows installer make such a large folder during installation?

But Okay, I'll try and delete it ans see what happens *Cool

Burgurne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it? - Similar Threads - 6Gbyte hidden folder

2. Remove "hidden" user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Remove "hidden" user: I have what might be a similar problem Trying to resolve confusion with accounts on wife's PC. We upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 about a month ago. Background. She got the PC from her mother who is 92 and not interested in computers. Mother-in-law was given PC by a...
  3. Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Removing/renaming a user profile folder in C:\Users?: Just joined this forum recently, so this is my first post. Anyways, I've been looking online for a method to simply delete the folder of an old user profile in C:\Users. I have yet to come across a successful method. The message that appears when I try to delete the folder is...
  4. Modifying the hidden Recovery folder?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Modifying the hidden Recovery folder?: I work in IT for a higher learning institution. We deploy out about 210 laptops a year to students who lease the laptops and end up purchasing them after graduation. This creates some headaches.. To make a long story short, the laptops are basically the modified OEM image (I...
  5. Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?: Hi, On my C root disk I have lots of strange hidden folders. Can they safely be deleted? They do not contain anything except a .log file in the $SysReset folder [img] 46920
  6. Hidden Files and Folders Help

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden Files and Folders Help: Hi there. I have multiple hidden files on my computer. I am planning on downloading Windows 10 sometime soon. But I was wondering if I did, would I have to re-hide my currently hidden files and folders? (By the way I am currently running Windows 8.1) Any help would be...
  7. Taskbar remove hidden icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar remove hidden icons: Dear folks In the snapshot attached if I want how can I remove hidden icons in the task bar ? Thanks [img] 101102
  8. Deleting a Hidden Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting a Hidden Folder: I've just scanned an old hard drive using WinUtilities Undelete function and found a hidden folder as shown on the attached snip. I can't find any other way to access that folder and Winutilities Undelete only shows it and allows it to be copied. My question is how can I...
  9. Hidden Partition(s) on C: - Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hidden Partition(s) on C: - Help: I've installed Win 10 twice on my system, the first time I did an upgrade when it came out, and then last weekend I did a clean install. I never use system restore, so its turned off, but it would appear each time I installed 10 it created a 450 MB hidden partition on my C:...
  10. ProgramData Folder Not Hidden

in Windows 10 Support
    ProgramData Folder Not Hidden: So I have 2 Windows 10 build 1709 machines. One I just noticed that the ProgramData folder is not hidden. I tried to hide it, but it just will not. I checked the settings and properties against my good machine and it all lines up except for not being hidden. Is there a...