Windows 10: 6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it?

Discus and support 6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Folder named "$Windows.~WS" is about 6Gbyte. What is it doing? I had it after I upgrated from windows 8.1 to 10, but after a clean install I assumed it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Burgurne, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Burgurne Win User

6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it?

Folder named "$Windows.~WS" is about 6Gbyte. What is it doing? I had it after I upgrated from windows 8.1 to 10, but after a clean install I assumed it would be gone. But no ... after a little while it is back and it is STILL around 6 Gbyte.

What is it for? Can it be deleted without ruin the WIndows 10 installation?

I also now got a folder named "$Windows.~BT" but that is only 395268 bytes, so that is OK ... I think.

:)

Burgurne, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Erdeslawe Win User

hidden folders in drive C

To follow on from the previous response, you will find that the $Windows WS Folder remains after using the Disk Clean Up utility.

This Folder is used by Windows Update whenever there are any further system updates to Windows 10 so I would resist any temptation to delete it or its remaining contents.

Erdeslawe, Aug 1, 2015
  3. hidden folders in drive C

hI iHAVE some hidden folders in C drive like $Windows WS AND $Windows BT.

Ist one is 2.13 GB and 2nd one is 44kb.

could u guide as to if i should delete these.

AadityaSingh2308, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

WS is windows setup..

Use disk cleanup - clean system files > to remove

Kyhi, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Burgurne Win User
    But why is this folder comming back? As written, I did a clean install (from a bootable USB-pen), so why would Windows installer make such a large folder during installation?

But Okay, I'll try and delete it ans see what happens *Cool

Burgurne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it? - Similar Threads - 6Gbyte hidden folder

2. allowing hidden folders to be seen within user folder messed up c drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    allowing hidden folders to be seen within user folder messed up c drive: Windows 10 OS. This is a discord AND a Windows 10 issue both! 1. Navigated to user folder. 2. Right clicked to allow hidden folders to be seen. 3. Wanted to find AppData folder so that I could manually delete Discord, but instead "lost data". See below. 4. Desktop...
  3. Cant Remove Random C folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant Remove Random C folder: [ATTACH] I tried to remove a folder within a second drive I have but it has a folder that acts as if its the actual C drive and I can't figure out how to remove it....
  4. Hidden folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hidden folders: I would appreciate assistance. I have shared privileges with my Manager. I have access to her Mailbox and have full permissions. I experience the following problem. Recently, when I create a New Folder in Manager's Inbox, the folder in question is not visible on my side....
  5. HIDDEN hidden folders

in Windows 10 Support
    HIDDEN hidden folders: I was doing backing up of certain files, reg files in particular (take ownership, add copyto, etc) I was using "everything" programs which lists files on all drives. I came across one reg disableanti.reg in a very odd place.I viewed the file in note pad and it said it...
  6. Hidden folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hidden folder: How can I access a file in a hidden folder on my Desktop WITHOUT unhiding the folder? Onlookers need not be aware of the folder's existence, let alone its location . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hidden-folder/3bf8a7d1-28c2-485a-9cb6-b802d05e429e"
  7. Remove "hidden" user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Remove "hidden" user: I have what might be a similar problem Trying to resolve confusion with accounts on wife's PC. We upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 about a month ago. Background. She got the PC from her mother who is 92 and not interested in computers. Mother-in-law was given PC by a...
  8. Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?: Hi, On my C root disk I have lots of strange hidden folders. Can they safely be deleted? They do not contain anything except a .log file in the $SysReset folder [img] 46920
  9. Deleting a Hidden Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Deleting a Hidden Folder: I've just scanned an old hard drive using WinUtilities Undelete function and found a hidden folder as shown on the attached snip. I can't find any other way to access that folder and Winutilities Undelete only shows it and allows it to be copied. My question is how can I...
  10. ProgramData Folder Not Hidden

in Windows 10 Support
    ProgramData Folder Not Hidden: So I have 2 Windows 10 build 1709 machines. One I just noticed that the ProgramData folder is not hidden. I tried to hide it, but it just will not. I checked the settings and properties against my good machine and it all lines up except for not being hidden. Is there a...