6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it?

Discus and support 6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Folder named "$Windows.~WS" is about 6Gbyte. What is it doing? I had it after I upgrated from windows 8.1 to 10, but after a clean install I assumed it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Burgurne, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Burgurne Win User

Folder named "$Windows.~WS" is about 6Gbyte. What is it doing? I had it after I upgrated from windows 8.1 to 10, but after a clean install I assumed it would be gone. But no ... after a little while it is back and it is STILL around 6 Gbyte.

What is it for? Can it be deleted without ruin the WIndows 10 installation?

I also now got a folder named "$Windows.~BT" but that is only 395268 bytes, so that is OK ... I think.

:)

Burgurne, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Erdeslawe Win User

hidden folders in drive C

To follow on from the previous response, you will find that the $Windows WS Folder remains after using the Disk Clean Up utility.

This Folder is used by Windows Update whenever there are any further system updates to Windows 10 so I would resist any temptation to delete it or its remaining contents.

Erdeslawe, Aug 1, 2015
  3. AadityaSingh2308 Win User
    hidden folders in drive C

hI iHAVE some hidden folders in C drive like $Windows WS AND $Windows BT.

Ist one is 2.13 GB and 2nd one is 44kb.

could u guide as to if i should delete these.

AadityaSingh2308, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

WS is windows setup..

Use disk cleanup - clean system files > to remove

Kyhi, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Burgurne Win User
    But why is this folder comming back? As written, I did a clean install (from a bootable USB-pen), so why would Windows installer make such a large folder during installation?

But Okay, I'll try and delete it ans see what happens *Cool

Burgurne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it? - Similar Threads - 6Gbyte hidden folder

2. (Fixed) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCP110.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    (Fixed) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCP110.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it...: When I try to start some programs It shows this error [ATTACH] I have DirectX 12, Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017 x64, and Windows 10....
  3. Album Art and Folder View Issue...

in Windows 10 Support
    Album Art and Folder View Issue...: Very weird issue, where the sub-folder and mp3's show there respective album art, but for some reason the primary folders are not. So I have primary folders for each band and inside is a folder for each album of that band, the mp3's show album art and so do each album...
  4. C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCP110.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\MSVCP110.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an...: When I try to start some programs It shows this error [ATTACH] I have DirectX 12, Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2017 x64, and Windows 10....
  5. Gmail folders won't sync to Windows Mail and Calendars, but Inbox Does

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gmail folders won't sync to Windows Mail and Calendars, but Inbox Does: Hi, I have been using Windows 10 Mail and Calendar app for several months, and it was working fine. Within the last couple weeks, suddenly my folders no longer sync correctly...except the inbox does. I have Reset the app, Uninstalled and reinstalled the app, Updated the...
  6. Is whatsnewapp.exe at c:\windows\systemapps part of Windows 10?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is whatsnewapp.exe at c:\windows\systemapps part of Windows 10?: Hello, Online searches give me no good information about whatsnewapp.exe, which is at c:\windows\systemapps\. The first search result points to a known malware site (spywareremove dot com). Is this whatsnewapp.exe part of Windows? What function does it perform? I can't...
  7. retrieving / recovering apps. removed while pc resets.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    retrieving / recovering apps. removed while pc resets.: Reviewed information on subject posted and seems easy enough to reinstall app. however, in particular how do I access the data that was saved to any particular app. ie have several years tax files. Worst comes to worst can I reset to a date prior to this episode?...
  8. Cannot remove old account from login screen

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cannot remove old account from login screen: When I turn on my computer I get the old user ID and have to click on new user ID on bottom left portion of screen to sign in with new user ID. How do I remove the old user ID from login screen?...
  9. How to remove my MS email account from a laptop I am returning ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    How to remove my MS email account from a laptop I am returning ?: I am returning an Acer laptop which I replaced with a new laptop. Before returning the defective laptop, I want to delete my MS account, etc. I have deleted all files but it still shows my administrator name which is my MS email name and email. How do I remove it?...
  10. Quarantine folder on Windows Defender will not open; it says something about Library DDL or...

in Windows 10 Customization
    Quarantine folder on Windows Defender will not open; it says something about Library DDL or...: when I try to see what is in the Quarantine folder on Windows Defender it says somethin about Library DDL or DLL not being installed or in error...