Windows 10: 6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it?

Discus and support 6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Folder named "$Windows.~WS" is about 6Gbyte. What is it doing? I had it after I upgrated from windows 8.1 to 10, but after a clean install I assumed it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Burgurne, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Burgurne Win User

6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it?

Folder named "$Windows.~WS" is about 6Gbyte. What is it doing? I had it after I upgrated from windows 8.1 to 10, but after a clean install I assumed it would be gone. But no ... after a little while it is back and it is STILL around 6 Gbyte.

What is it for? Can it be deleted without ruin the WIndows 10 installation?

I also now got a folder named "$Windows.~BT" but that is only 395268 bytes, so that is OK ... I think.

:)

Burgurne, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Erdeslawe Win User

hidden folders in drive C

To follow on from the previous response, you will find that the $Windows WS Folder remains after using the Disk Clean Up utility.

This Folder is used by Windows Update whenever there are any further system updates to Windows 10 so I would resist any temptation to delete it or its remaining contents.

Erdeslawe, Aug 1, 2015
  3. hidden folders in drive C

hI iHAVE some hidden folders in C drive like $Windows WS AND $Windows BT.

Ist one is 2.13 GB and 2nd one is 44kb.

could u guide as to if i should delete these.

AadityaSingh2308, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

WS is windows setup..

Use disk cleanup - clean system files > to remove

Kyhi, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Burgurne Win User
    But why is this folder comming back? As written, I did a clean install (from a bootable USB-pen), so why would Windows installer make such a large folder during installation?

But Okay, I'll try and delete it ans see what happens *Cool

Burgurne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it? - Similar Threads - 6Gbyte hidden folder

2. There is a 50 Gb hidden Extend folder in C drive. How to remove it?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    There is a 50 Gb hidden Extend folder in C drive. How to remove it?: I recently used WizTree to analyze my C drive and discovered a hidden "Extend" folder occupying a significant amount of disk space, approximately 50 GB. The folder is located in the root directory of the C drive, and I am seeking guidance on understanding its purpose and...
  3. There is a 50 Gb hidden Extend folder in C drive. How to remove it?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There is a 50 Gb hidden Extend folder in C drive. How to remove it?: I recently used WizTree to analyze my C drive and discovered a hidden "Extend" folder occupying a significant amount of disk space, approximately 50 GB. The folder is located in the root directory of the C drive, and I am seeking guidance on understanding its purpose and...
  4. There is a 50 Gb hidden Extend folder in C drive. How to remove it?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hidden folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden folders: Here are two folder that you cannot view in File Explorer unless you know the path to them and even if you do, the folder name does not show: C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations...
  6. hidden folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    hidden folders: Hello I was trying to find out if there was anything hidden in my laptop. when I put folders in taskbar and clicked on protected folders Windows Security Came Up Then a message popped up saying: Page Not Available... Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of...
  7. Hidden folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hidden folders: I would appreciate assistance. I have shared privileges with my Manager. I have access to her Mailbox and have full permissions. I experience the following problem. Recently, when I create a New Folder in Manager's Inbox, the folder in question is not visible on my side....
  8. HIDDEN hidden folders

in Windows 10 Support
    HIDDEN hidden folders: I was doing backing up of certain files, reg files in particular (take ownership, add copyto, etc) I was using "everything" programs which lists files on all drives. I came across one reg disableanti.reg in a very odd place.I viewed the file in note pad and it said it...
  9. Hidden folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hidden folder: How can I access a file in a hidden folder on my Desktop WITHOUT unhiding the folder? Onlookers need not be aware of the folder's existence, let alone its location . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hidden-folder/3bf8a7d1-28c2-485a-9cb6-b802d05e429e"
  10. Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?: Hi, On my C root disk I have lots of strange hidden folders. Can they safely be deleted? They do not contain anything except a .log file in the $SysReset folder [img] 46920