Windows 10: 6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it?

Discus and support 6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Folder named "$Windows.~WS" is about 6Gbyte. What is it doing? I had it after I upgrated from windows 8.1 to 10, but after a clean install I assumed it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Burgurne, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Burgurne Win User

6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it?

Folder named "$Windows.~WS" is about 6Gbyte. What is it doing? I had it after I upgrated from windows 8.1 to 10, but after a clean install I assumed it would be gone. But no ... after a little while it is back and it is STILL around 6 Gbyte.

What is it for? Can it be deleted without ruin the WIndows 10 installation?

I also now got a folder named "$Windows.~BT" but that is only 395268 bytes, so that is OK ... I think.

:)

Burgurne, Aug 1, 2015
  2. Erdeslawe Win User

hidden folders in drive C

To follow on from the previous response, you will find that the $Windows WS Folder remains after using the Disk Clean Up utility.

This Folder is used by Windows Update whenever there are any further system updates to Windows 10 so I would resist any temptation to delete it or its remaining contents.

Erdeslawe, Aug 1, 2015
  3. hidden folders in drive C

hI iHAVE some hidden folders in C drive like $Windows WS AND $Windows BT.

Ist one is 2.13 GB and 2nd one is 44kb.

could u guide as to if i should delete these.

AadityaSingh2308, Aug 1, 2015
  4. Kyhi Win User

WS is windows setup..

Use disk cleanup - clean system files > to remove

Kyhi, Aug 1, 2015
  5. Burgurne Win User
    But why is this folder comming back? As written, I did a clean install (from a bootable USB-pen), so why would Windows installer make such a large folder during installation?

But Okay, I'll try and delete it ans see what happens *Cool

Burgurne, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. 6Gbyte hidden folder at C:\ - remove it? - Similar Threads - 6Gbyte hidden folder

2. $ Hidden folders in Users folder

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    $ Hidden folders in Users folder: Hi, I have encountered these hidden folders in my Users folder. Can someone please explain what are these? Other computers in domain doesn't seem to have these....
  3. Hidden folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Hidden folders: Here are two folder that you cannot view in File Explorer unless you know the path to them and even if you do, the folder name does not show: C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent\AutomaticDestinations...
  4. hidden folders

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    hidden folders: Hello I was trying to find out if there was anything hidden in my laptop. when I put folders in taskbar and clicked on protected folders Windows Security Came Up Then a message popped up saying: Page Not Available... Your IT administrator has limited access to some areas of...
  5. Removing a Hidden Language

in Windows 10 Customization
    Removing a Hidden Language: On Windows 10, I am unable to remove the DutchNetherlands language from the language preferences tab in the taskbar. I have enabled both English UK and English US and have deleted DutchNL language through Settings. The language does not show in the "Preferred Languages"...
  6. Cant Remove Random C folder

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cant Remove Random C folder: [ATTACH] I tried to remove a folder within a second drive I have but it has a folder that acts as if its the actual C drive and I can't figure out how to remove it....
  7. Hidden folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hidden folders: I would appreciate assistance. I have shared privileges with my Manager. I have access to her Mailbox and have full permissions. I experience the following problem. Recently, when I create a New Folder in Manager's Inbox, the folder in question is not visible on my side....
  8. HIDDEN hidden folders

in Windows 10 Support
    HIDDEN hidden folders: I was doing backing up of certain files, reg files in particular (take ownership, add copyto, etc) I was using "everything" programs which lists files on all drives. I came across one reg disableanti.reg in a very odd place.I viewed the file in note pad and it said it...
  9. Hidden folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Hidden folder: How can I access a file in a hidden folder on my Desktop WITHOUT unhiding the folder? Onlookers need not be aware of the folder's existence, let alone its location . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hidden-folder/3bf8a7d1-28c2-485a-9cb6-b802d05e429e"
  10. Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange hidden folders in C:/ - Can they safely be deleted?: Hi, On my C root disk I have lots of strange hidden folders. Can they safely be deleted? They do not contain anything except a .log file in the $SysReset folder [img] 46920