Windows 10: 7 ==> 10 Upgrade: What happens to Registry & WINSXS

Discus and support 7 ==> 10 Upgrade: What happens to Registry & WINSXS in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Win7 works A-OK for me and I see no compelling reason (yet) to go to Win10. However, my Win7 system is old and by now my Registry & WINSXS directory... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bbinnard, Jan 28, 2015.

1. bbinnard Win User

7 ==> 10 Upgrade: What happens to Registry & WINSXS

Win7 works A-OK for me and I see no compelling reason (yet) to go to Win10. However, my Win7 system is old and by now my Registry & WINSXS directory are full of junk. I know that at some point, if I don't do a clean install of something, some bad things will start happening.

So that's why I do plan on moving to WIN10 at some point. But what about the Upgrade option - I understand it does not require reinstalling all current software, which is a very desirable option.

So if I do this (instead of a clean install), what happens to my Registry and WINSXS? Do they get "cleaned up" so that only data required for the new WIN10 installation are kept? Or are they simply updated with WIN10 stuff and thus end up getting even larger and more cumbersome?

:)

bbinnard, Jan 28, 2015
  2. chilllly Win User

winsxs

Currently have win 7 pro & not enough space on my ssd to upgrade to w10.

However I have a 10gb winsxs folder.

Will this be freed up when I upgrade?

chilllly, Jan 28, 2015
  3. kruno_830 Win User
    what happens if windows 7 upgrade to Windows 10?

thanks

kruno_830, Jan 28, 2015
  4. 7 ==> 10 Upgrade: What happens to Registry & WINSXS

Good question! I would like to know this myself.

Jesse Williams, Jan 28, 2015
  5. Hi and welcome to TenForums,
    I personally would do a clean install of 7 first and reload all of your programs... without the crap *Wink
    Of course with a good running 7 you'll have fewer reasons to upgrade to 10 but at least you'll have a health base.
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Jan 29, 2015
  6. bbinnard Win User
    I understand the benefits of a clean install. If I do that, however, I'll first do a clean install of 10 (which will reformat my boot drive) and then install all my software.

But my hope was to avoid the software reinstall. Which is why I asked about how the 10 Upgrade option really works.

bbinnard, Jan 29, 2015
  7. From what I understand win-10 won't go final until 10-1-15,
    After that you'll/ we will have another year to do the free upgrade thing,
    That's allot of time so there really is no rush,

Upgrades themselves are hit and miss in an ideal environment
    Re-installs really are not that big of a deal,
    Upgrades do create an windows old folder so an upgrade will overwrite/ replace the existing os,
    Good policy is upgrades rarely fix existing issues so I wouldn't rely on it but fell free to test and let us know *Wink
    Cheers.

ThrashZone, Jan 29, 2015
  8. 7 ==> 10 Upgrade: What happens to Registry & WINSXS

I have a 320 GB HDD with 4 GB DDR3 Memory. My disk usage thing says 95.5 free of 282 GB. Will I need to do a clean install too?

Jesse Williams, Jan 29, 2015
  9. Phone Man Win User
    MS is working on Windows 10 to do a better job of upgrading from Windows 7 & Windows 8.1.
    I always use Macriun to image my disks before any update, so I will give the Windows 10 upgrade a try first and then if things don't seem right I can do a clean install of Windows 10 (if it is doable with the free upgrade). MS is offering the upgrade choice with Windows 10 TP in order for us to test it and see how it does.

Jim *Cool

Phone Man, Jan 29, 2015
  10. Jesse those numbers don't add up to 320gig's :/
    Besides weren't you going to use VMware ?

ThrashZone, Jan 29, 2015
  11. Well, it says on my sticker that it's a 320 GB HDD. I will use VMware until 10 comes out. I will then remove VMware and use the full version of 10.

Jesse Williams, Jan 29, 2015
  12. LMiller7 Win User
    Expansion of the registry is primarily due to third party software. Windows knows nothing and can do nothing about that.

A clean install of an OS is usually better than an upgrade, particularly if the installation is old.

LMiller7, Jan 29, 2015
  13. bbinnard Win User

That is correct. It is also correct for expansion of WINSXS. Long-term (like more than 4 years) expansion typically leads to some sort of corruption and subsequent obscure & hard to resolve problems.

Well I wonder about that. MS does issue WINSXS cleanup routines after each major OS update. These actually work, but take out only the modules that were used by the previous OS and that were replaced by the update. Obviously doing this prevents reverting to the non-updated version of the OS, but who wants to do that anyway?

If that technique can work for the OS itself, why can't it be expanded/enhanced to work for application installs too? Most major apps use the infamous WIndows Installer package, so this would be the perfect place to implement such a capability.

This whole WINSXS issue got started as a means to eliminate the old "DLL Hell" problem in Win3.x. That, in turn, resulted from the concept of sharing DLL's as a means of saving hard disk space. But now disk space is both inexpensive and plentiful. So a simple fix would be to change Windows Installer to install everything in the application's own directories.

The same concept could work for Registry entries. Remember the old INI files? These worked just fine, but for some reason someone at MS thought they needed to be replaced with something "better." Is there anyone who really believes the Registry is better?

Exactly correct. Which is why I plan on scheduling 2 days to get my 10 installation working correctly. That's a ridiculous amount of time I know, but my past experience suggests it's what it will take. I recognize that this is partly my fault - my system has 2 SSD's and 2 HDD's and I have used Junction Links to reposition various files to non-standard (i.e., off my SSD boot drive) locations. Nevertheless, 2 days to do a clean OS install is ludicrous.

bbinnard, Jan 29, 2015
  14. adamf Win User
    Yes it is. It is utterly your own decision though.

It is your only comment I could agree with though.

adamf, Jan 29, 2015
  15. bbinnard Win User
    If you have a better suggestion I'd be most pleased to hear it.

bbinnard, Jan 30, 2015
Thema:

1. 7 ==> 10 Upgrade: What happens to Registry & WINSXS - Similar Threads - ==> Upgrade happens

2. Win 10 to 11 upgrade - what happens when restore

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 10 to 11 upgrade - what happens when restore: Hi. I bought an ASUS pc with win10 a while back and it offered to upgrade to 11 during initial setup/startup. I was going to give it to a family member and want all my personal stuff removed. I thouight maybe reset would be easiest to remove everything but not sure what will...
  3. WinSxS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WinSxS: I found WinSxS is big but not large in windirstat. But it is not safe to delete. I got analyze component store in command prompt. After analyze, it says no component store cleanup recomended. I got uninstall some apps but it never free up space. How can i make my disk C free...
  4. What happens if I delete 'EnableSmartScreen' from registry?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What happens if I delete 'EnableSmartScreen' from registry?: If I delete 'EnableSmartScreen' from registry will it affect windows commutative update? Or will it couse any other problems? Please answer....
  5. WinSXS

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WinSXS: [IMG] I've tried using cmd like image above, but my storage remain same. What should i do ? And thanks in advance https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/winsxs/44b9dd32-c5c5-41fd-a9d8-4470866f3329
  6. what happens to system files when I'm upgrading win 7 to win10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    what happens to system files when I'm upgrading win 7 to win10?: I'm going to upgrading my win7 to 10 this weekend. All I've learnt is that the upgrading process is easy and won't do harm to existing data. I'm wondering what happens to system partition while the upgrading process? Will old files be replaced? or new files will be added? or...
  7. What will happen with Windows 7 after installed Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    What will happen with Windows 7 after installed Windows 10?: I have a question about the new operating system of Microsoft Windows 10 64X Home Edition that will be available on July 29th or so. My question is that when the new operating system of Windows 10 installed in my computer and what will happen with the old operating system of...
  8. Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 upgrade deletes registry entries

Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 upgrade deletes registry entries: Hello folks. In advance, I really haven't lost my marbles. Here's the deal. The org for which I work runs an application on a couple of thousand pcs. This application, when installed creates the following registry entry....
  9. What updates are required to upgrade Win 7 to 10

What updates are required to upgrade Win 7 to 10: Does anyone have a list of the required updates to upgrade Windows 7 SP1 to Windows 10? Does Microsoft? 21592
  10. What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year?

in Windows 10 Support
    What Happens to the Free Win 10 Upgrade After A Year?: Does anyone know what happens with Windows 10 free upgrade after a year? I'm thinking MS will charge ppl a year, but I'm just guessing. I haven't heard what happens and would like to know. 8167