Windows 10: 7-like alternative to windows 10 search function?

Discus and support 7-like alternative to windows 10 search function? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guys, So a few months ago I updated from windows 7 to 10, and for the most part I've liked the transition. But one key problem that's been... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by WintertheMute, Dec 1, 2015.

1. 7-like alternative to windows 10 search function?

Hey guys,
    So a few months ago I updated from windows 7 to 10, and for the most part I've liked the transition. But one key problem that's been persisting since the upgrade is the search function. Windows 7 had a very clean search bar, where you just typed in the name of the program and it came up. Now, not only do I have to make sure I'm actually searching instead of using the Cortana bar (which is in the exact same place), it nearly never actually finds the program i'm looking for, instead displaying web suggestions that usually have little to do with my actual search. Is there any sort of program I can use that replaces the search bar with a more useful one?
    Thanks in advance.

:)

WintertheMute, Dec 1, 2015

2. Windows 7 was so much better. Can I downgrade to it?

You don't have to downgrade to windows 7. Do a web search online for "Start10", the first menu alternative for Windows 10 with the look of Windows 7 menu.

I just upgraded to Windows 10 and love it. It has much less overhead and quicker than Windows 7. I have the Start 10 menu app to configure it to look like windows 7.

Start10 : Software from Stardock

TerryStick, Dec 1, 2015
  3. Tryx3 Win User
    No search files on this computer option after update?

To find files in Windows 10, use the search box in File explorer [it is practically the same as the search box in windows 7's Windows explorer].

There is some guidance in
    A Guide to Using Windows Search; Two Alternatives to Windows Search
    This is a Windows 7 Wiki article but it remains valid for Windows 10 with the exception of the Start menu search item that you have already mentioned.

Tryx3, Dec 1, 2015
  4. simrick Win User

7-like alternative to windows 10 search function?

Classic Shell will get you a Windows 7 Start Menu including the W7-type search; very customizable.

simrick, Dec 1, 2015
  5. vkaryl Win User
    OMG. Thank you simrick. Very helpful link, makes me a happy camper!

vkaryl, Dec 1, 2015
  6. simrick Win User
    You are quite welcome! *Thumbs
    It made my life easier with W8...

Please go ahead and mark the thread as "solved".

simrick, Dec 1, 2015
  7. dencal Win User
    You have been searching in the wrong place, probably as a creature of habit.
    Click on Settings (bottom right hand corner) then All Settings box.
    In box at top right "Find a Setting" type what you are looking for and after two or three letters you will have a selection.
    This in my opinion is far superior to anything in W7, or any app such as Classic Shell.
    Hope this helps.

dencal, Dec 1, 2015
  8. 7-like alternative to windows 10 search function?

I don't have a 'settings' option in the bottom right hand corner

WintertheMute, Dec 3, 2015
  9. simrick Win User
    I think he's referring to the "notification" icon.

simrick, Dec 3, 2015
  10. dencal Win User
    I stand corrected "notification" icon, I too am a creature of habit as this is where I look for settings.
    There is also an alternative "Settings" option just above the "Power" button.

dencal, Dec 3, 2015
  11. Cortana and Bing work and find everything I want straight away
    I start to type what I want and Cortana has it up before I have even finished.
    So far she has not made one error

hTconeM9user, Dec 3, 2015
  12. dencal Win User
    For general information Cortana and Bing are useful, but the original request was for "Program Search" for which you need to enter Settings.

dencal, Dec 3, 2015
  13. simrick Win User

hmmm.... I can get to my programs through Cortana:

7-like alternative to windows 10 search function? [​IMG]

By typing or verbally asking "Hey Cortana, open Skype for Desktop".

simrick, Dec 3, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    There are a number of ways of doing this without installing a third party program.

For instance, you can type what you want to search for, and then click the "My Stuff" link at the bottom, or if you know it's local you can just type "mystuff:whateveryouwanttosearchfor" (without the quotes).

I believe there may be a setting to make this the default as well, but I can't seem to recall what it was.

Mystere, Dec 3, 2015
  15. dencal Win User
    Try saying "Hey Cortana, mouse settings.....to see stupid response.

Yes you can type in the Cortana box for program search, personally I find a much more comprehensive and straight to the point answers using the Settings box. This way you only need to type two letters for pretty well any program, and also what you need options within that program.

dencal, Dec 3, 2015
Thema:

1. 7-like alternative to windows 10 search function? - Similar Threads - alternative search function

2. Search function not working on windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Search function not working on windows 10.: Hello everyone, I have a question about the search function not working on windows 10.It is not working in the Windows Start, not in the search iconcrashing in a couple of seconds, not in Windows Explorer. Things that I've tried :-Restarting Search service both in task...
  3. Windows 7 Briefcase Alternative

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 7 Briefcase Alternative: Does anyone know of a Windows 7 briefcase alternative (for Windows 10) that operates exactly the same? I am not sure that I can sufficiently explain why it worked so well for my specific application, but the ability to sync individual files across multiple users and computers...
  4. search windows 10 for ALL content... like windows 7 did?

in Cortana
    search windows 10 for ALL content... like windows 7 did?: Ok.... I didn't actually know this, but I switched my wife over to windows 10 a while back, but she insists on keeping her windows 7 computer yet as she searches for stuff on it and says windows 10 is not the same. Basically, she says that when she uses the search box on...
  5. exclude subfolder search like in Windows 7 ?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    exclude subfolder search like in Windows 7 ?: in windows 7 there was a search option to exclude searching the subfolders too. In windows 10 i cant see any. Now every time i want to search for a file, my computer searches the whole drive for that file and shows all results which have that name. I only want to see the file...
  6. Windows 10 search function broken

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search function broken: This is a re-post of a thread that I had initially believed to be answered; however, when the fix was applied (a system restore), the issue was solved. Windows updated almost immediately afterward, though, and after restarting the issue returned. [ATTACH] I have tried...
  7. Windows 10 Search Function Broken

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Function Broken: Hi all, Hi all, Just today, I got this issue while trying to use Windows 10 to search (I think it's Cortana search): [ATTACH] When I type anything into the search engine (like 'paint' above), nothing shows up - it is just completely black. I rebooted, shut down, and...
  8. Windows 10 search function

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 search function: Why does windows 10 search function not find anything...nothing at all....its an absolute joke of an operating system. Seriously microsoft...sort it out. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-search-function/50eea776-39c7-4c66-b8b6-d1fd320e3eb8"
  9. Start menu search like Windows 7

in Windows 10 Support
    Start menu search like Windows 7: Hello, I have lots of files in my pc and I usually search them by typing phrases I remember are containted in them. This used to work fine in windows 7's start menu, but windows 10 does not show all the files. It shows a few in the best match window, and then I have to...
  10. Search function windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Search function windows 10: I have a problem with the windows 10 search function. None of my epub files is found. file: epub no result, ext: epub no result, *.epub no result, Tried to change the app being used from calibre to edge no result Any suggestions, please. 91070