Windows 10: 7-Zip can create two folders with exact same name which will stop FileHistory

Discus and support 7-Zip can create two folders with exact same name which will stop FileHistory in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi. If you go to https://gitlab.com/c.v.a/maturaarbeit-KSA/-/tree/master/MA-Vorlage you'll note that there's two folders sharing the same name... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by paasc, Feb 10, 2021.

1. paasc Win User

7-Zip can create two folders with exact same name which will stop FileHistory

Hi.

If you go to

https://gitlab.com/c.v.a/maturaarbeit-KSA/-/tree/master/MA-Vorlage

you'll note that there's two folders sharing the same name "Präsentation". I downloaded the whole directory and extracted it using 7-Zip and now there's still two folders with exact same name but different contents! How is that possible?

I only found out about this after hours of troubleshooting because it stopped FileHistory from working.

Also, it doesn't happen if I use Windows Explorer to extract the zip archive. It will try to merge the folders and ask which one to keep if there are files of the same name inside.

What is this?

:)

paasc, Feb 10, 2021

2. FileHistory stops working

Hello

In have FileHistory backup not working correctly.

After my desktop backup for the portioned drives C: and D: stopped say 6 weeks ago. I have tried a number of suggestions from the form but have not got things working until yesterday 27/6/2020.

After using the same USB extension drive to back up my laptop which worked.

I tried the same usb derive with the desktop and found that by selecting the drive as new a new list of folders to be backedup was created only for drive C: and the FileHistory back up worked again.

Now IF I add any folder on derive D: to the backup list FileHistory stops working.

If I remove the D: related folder FileHistory works again.

When FileHistory stops working event viewer shows the 1st error message .

In the past when FileHistory didn't work EV showed both errors.

Unable to scan user librariles for changes and perform backup.

C:\Users\pflet\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\FileHistory\Configuration\Config

File/directory was not backed up due to being encrypted or insefficent permissions.

D:\System Volume Information.

As enyone seen this?

Could this be the System volume information folder on D: ?

Can this folder be replaced / repaired ? I carn't see it being encrypted. Dont Know about permissions.

Thanks in advance. Paul

PaulFletcherSG, Feb 10, 2021
  3. What is the $0F folder in FileHistory?

I just started using FileHistory in Windows 10. The first folder under the Data folder is named $0F. It is 59.2 GB. Every folder in the $0F folder seems to only have one or two entries to files saved elsewhere. These 5,922 folders are listed sequentially
    with 28,284 files dated from the year 2013 to 2019.

Can I delete the $0F folder? The $0F folder is not listed as a folder to be backed.

If so, how do I prevent it from being created again?

Thanks, Rob

RobertErnster, Feb 10, 2021
  4. cdawall Win User

7-zip benchmark compilation

Figured with someone benchmarks floating around this one would be interesting since quite a few people actually use 7-zip. I am also stealing newteckie's format for the thread so many thanks for him actually making a good layout.

What you are going to need:

7-Zip 9.30 beta: LINK

Rules:
    • Put Add Me+version run as the title of your post.
    • Include a screenshot of CPU-z (CPU and Memory tabs) and the 7-zip window with your results (all in the same screen shot).
    • Only 7-zip version 9.30 beta will be counted.
    Instructions
    • Start 7-zip
    • Select tools-> benchmark
    • Select Dictionary size: 192mb (>8GB RAM) or 64mb (<8GB RAM)
    • Allow it to run at least 4 passes and hit stop

7-Zip can create two folders with exact same name which will stop FileHistory Capture040263.jpg

You will be left with that screen

Post your results in the following format:
    Name | Processor Maker | CPU Model and Clock | Total Rating (CPU USAGE) | Total Rating (Rating/Usage) | Total Rating (Rating) | 64-bit or 32-bit | Notes

cdawall, Feb 10, 2021
Thema:

1. 7-Zip can create two folders with exact same name which will stop FileHistory - Similar Threads - Zip create folders

2. 2 Startup folders with the exact same name in the same name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    2 Startup folders with the exact same name in the same name: i have 2 startup folders in the same folder for some unknown to me reason. When i put in "shells:startup" in Run it opens up a startup folder thats read only and its empty whenever i try to change it to not be read only it just reapplies after the properties window closes...
  3. 2 Startup folders with the exact same name in the same name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    2 Startup folders with the exact same name in the same name: i have 2 startup folders in the same folder for some unknown to me reason. When i put in "shells:startup" in Run it opens up a startup folder thats read only and its empty whenever i try to change it to not be read only it just reapplies after the properties window closes...
  4. Is it possible to create a file with the same name in the same exact directory?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is it possible to create a file with the same name in the same exact directory?: Hi, I am trying to figure out how to create a file with the same name in the same directory. Purely for educational purposes and to experiment around Is there a way to do this? For example: a special character or a command prompt/PowerShell trick. Thanks!...
  5. Is it possible to create a file with the same name in the same exact directory?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is it possible to create a file with the same name in the same exact directory?: Hi, I am trying to figure out how to create a file with the same name in the same directory. Purely for educational purposes and to experiment around Is there a way to do this? For example: a special character or a command prompt/PowerShell trick. Thanks!...
  6. Is it possible to create a file with the same name in the same exact directory?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. Two folders of the same name in the same folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Two folders of the same name in the same folder: Hi All, Could someone please help me to understand if there is any problems with this. By accident, I just discovered one of my folders has two subfolders which are of exactly the same name, though their date stamps are different. It must have come about when I mass...
  8. Undo Created folder with same name

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Undo Created folder with same name: How do I Undo after I created a folder with same name and the old files are gone? submitted by /u/Sameer5858 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j5mtqh/undo_created_folder_with_same_name/
  9. Two main folders with the same name and function

Two main folders with the same name and function: Hi, i trying to change the location of all these folders to other partition but i got a bug and two of that folders get like a fusion because have the same name, location and function, when i change the location of one, the other change to the same folder, how i revert this...
  10. Two folders with exactly the same name, location but different contents and subfolders

Two folders with exactly the same name, location but different contents and subfolders: Hi, I don't know how this happened, but somehow I have two folders with the same name, same address/location but entirely different contents. [ATTACH] Because of this Windows completely bugs out when you try to move either of these folders. I can change the contents...