Windows 10: 75 GB in temp files in one month!?! - how to clean up automatically

Discus and support 75 GB in temp files in one month!?! - how to clean up automatically in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I changed my environmental variables so that my TMP and TEMP folder locations are now C:\TEMP. Every so often I try to delete everything in this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by x509, Feb 11, 2020.

1. x509 Win User

75 GB in temp files in one month!?! - how to clean up automatically

I changed my environmental variables so that my TMP and TEMP folder locations are now C:\TEMP. Every so often I try to delete everything in this folder.

I just did a delete operation for the first time in 26 days. Over 75 GB, over 433K items deleted. *Redcarded Aside from this \TEMP directory, my entire C drive is 86 GB. *really That total includes Windows, all installed programs, and swap and hiberation files, but no user data. My user data, photos, music, etc. are stored on Drives D and E.

My C drive in on an SSD, and before I cleared out \TEMP, there were only 51 GB free. That seems to mean than in less than three weeks, the SSD would fill up and Windows might possibly freeze. *Banghead

Doesn't Windows have some kind of automatic housecleaning or garbage collection?
    Is there a program that people can recommend for current use to perform this function? I know that CCleaner used to be recommended, but no longer.

:)

2. Ken Blake Win User

C:/Windows/Temp file is a wopping 128 gbs

Yes, they can, and should be, deleted periodically.

The temp folder provides workspace for programs. Programs can create temporary files there for their own temporary use. Each program should delete all its temporary files when it closes, but for various reasons it doesn't always happen (for example,
    if the program crashes, it never gets to do this). That's why it's a good idea to periodically clean out anything left there.

Also note that there are some program installations which work in two steps. The first step concludes by writing temporary files and rebooting. The second step starts automatically after rebooting and needs to find those files there (and then deletes
    them when it's done).

Other than doing it automatically when rebooting (that would interfere with installations like the kind I described), it's always safe to delete the contents of the temp folder. Because it's safe to delete any temp files that aren't open and in use
    by an application, and since Windows won't let you delete open files, it's safe to (try to) delete them at any time. If any fail to delete because they're open, they'll either be deleted automatically when the app using them closes, or you'll get them the
    next time you delete manually.

Some people may suggest that you reboot before deleting anything, but that's not necessary, for the reason described above (on the other hand, it doesn't hurt to do it).

Ken Blake, Feb 11, 2020
  3. Temp Files : Runaway Creation

Hello Bruce,

Windows Temporary files are created by the operating system during the normal course of its running when there may not be enough memory allocated for the task.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to delete temporary files nad check if it helps:

Step 1

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type temp and click OK
    • Press Ctrl + A and click Delete

Step 2

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type %temp% and click OK

Step 3

• Press Windows key + R
    • Type prefetch and click OK

Get back to us, if you have further queries. We will be glad to help you.

Anju Thekkethil, Feb 11, 2020
  4. leda3333 Win User

Settings will not open, Edge has disappeared, and temp files are filling up c drive in Windows 10

As for temp files, I am having trouble finding them. Typing %temp% in the search box reveals less that a gb, but disk cleanup shows 75 gb temp files, and will not delete them. How do I find them?

leda3333, Feb 11, 2020
Thema:

1. 75 GB in temp files in one month!?! - how to clean up automatically - Similar Threads - temp files month

2. temp files taking up 75 gigs of data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    temp files taking up 75 gigs of data: so, i was watching youtube, as you do. i got a notification to clear up my files, i thought "strange, i only ever store files on my d: drive" so i click the notification, and BAM! i got 75 gigs of temp files. so i was like "WHAT IN THE NAME OF-" and tried to clean it up by...
  3. temp files taking up 75 gigs of data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    temp files taking up 75 gigs of data: so, i was watching youtube, as you do. i got a notification to clear up my files, i thought "strange, i only ever store files on my d: drive" so i click the notification, and BAM! i got 75 gigs of temp files. so i was like "WHAT IN THE NAME OF-" and tried to clean it up by...
  4. temp files taking up 75 gigs of data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Files getting automatically deleted in Temp folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files getting automatically deleted in Temp folder: Specs:Windows 10 Pro, version 21H2, OS build 19044.2364.Storage Sense is turned off.No 3rd party virus scanners or disk cleanup software installed.Issue: Majority of files in system temporary directory i.e. the path the environment variables TEMP and TMP are pointing to,...
  6. System and Reserve takes up 75 gb of storage on my C drive. How do I clear it up.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    System and Reserve takes up 75 gb of storage on my C drive. How do I clear it up.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/oRamzi [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gl93zi/system_and_reserve_takes_up_75_gb_of_storage_on/
  7. temp files showing 1.4 gb and not getting options to delete it

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    temp files showing 1.4 gb and not getting options to delete it: hello, when I tried to update during installation I see a notification about lack of space. so I tried clearing all my unwanted data from the storage option. in that temp files is showing 1.4 gb and it is not getting deleted. so please help me delete these files. even...
  8. configure storage sense or run it now: we cleaned up... GB of space in this past month

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    configure storage sense or run it now: we cleaned up... GB of space in this past month: hi Microsoft: I don't understand one thing. In configure storage sense or run it now, I had 7.99 GB of space freed up in the past month but just yesterday, it dropped down to 7.08 GB. How did it happen?...
  9. Size of windows 10 folder is 75 GB??

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Size of windows 10 folder is 75 GB??: My windows 10 folder seems to have been getting out of control in the last year. It went from around 50 GB at the beginning of the year to 75/69 GB at time of posting. Windows keep trying to update and wants more space to do so, then it tries to download smaller updates,...
  10. Windows Settings does not clean Temp Files

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Settings does not clean Temp Files: In the year since Win 10 came out I have tried probably 30 times on about 5 different computers to use Settings to clean Temp files, and have left it for hours, and it has never removed a Megabyte. (Settings/System/Storage/This PC/Temporary files) It says I have 1.36 GB of...