Windows 10: 8.1 to 10 - Home vs Pro

Discus and support 8.1 to 10 - Home vs Pro in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Been out of the loop for around 12 days and I am curious about the upgrade to 10. After trying various TP's on a separate hard drive I finally bit the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Gramps, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Gramps Win User

8.1 to 10 - Home vs Pro

Been out of the loop for around 12 days and I am curious about the upgrade to 10. After trying various TP's on a separate hard drive I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my 8.1 using 10166, it was then updated to 10240 as a pro edition. After missing the 29th launch I got back in town and updated 10240 via WU. I now have an activated 10 install Pro version even though my 8.1 was the home edition.

At what point will Win 10 revert to the home edition? If I stay in the insider program will it remain pro? If at some point I want to clean install I'm assuming it will get the home ver as that is what I d/l using MCT to create a USB install. Winver indicates 10 Pro licensed to me and HP, which makes sense.

I see no reason for a clean install at the moment but we all know I will do it at some point.

:)

Gramps, Jul 31, 2015
  2. xusaf Win User

Roll it back to windows pro 8.1

Original Title: windows 10 pro vs windows pro 8.1

I purchased a Surface Pro 4 with windows 10 pro, as wiindows 10 sucks can i roll it back to windows pro 8.1

xusaf, Jul 31, 2015
  3. Windows 10 upgrade?

Once upgraded to Windows 10 Home there is absolutely no benefit over Windows 7 Home Premium over Windows 7 Starter. Microsoft have decided to simplify the number of Editions for Windows 10 due to the many complains they got with the many different editions
    of Windows 8.1 and not clearly distinguishing them.

Windows 7 Starter → Windows 10 Home

Windows 7 Starter N → Windows 10 Home

[*]Windows 7 Home Basic → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 7 Home Premium → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 7 Home Premium N → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 8.1 → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 8.1N → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 8.1 Single Language → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 8.1 with Bing → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 8.1 Single Language with Bing → Windows 10 Home
    [*]Windows 7 Professional → Windows 10 Pro
    [*]Windows 7 Professional N → Windows 10 Pro
    [*]Windows 7 Ultimate → Windows 10 Pro
    [*]Windows 7 Ultimate N → Windows 10 Pro
    [*]Windows 8.1 Pro → Windows 10 Pro
    [*]Windows 8.1 Pro N → Windows 10 Pro
    [*]Windows 8.1 Pro (Student) → Windows 10 Pro
    [*]Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre → Windows 10 Pro

Note if that is a full license (non-OEM license) you can transfer it and revert your machine back to Windows 7 Starter allowing you to upgrade two PCs to Windows 10.

Philip Yip, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

8.1 to 10 - Home vs Pro

1. 8.1 to 10 - Home vs Pro - Similar Threads - Home Pro

2. Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11: I am wanting to confirm cost of upgrade? 99.00 I believe. Do I get my VA discount on this type of purchase? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-windows-home-11-to-windows-pro-11/dffb4837-9c4a-4427-bdec-f546a89619bd
  3. Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Upgrading windows home 11 to windows pro 11: I am wanting to confirm cost of upgrade? 99.00 I believe. Do I get my VA discount on this type of purchase? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrading-windows-home-11-to-windows-pro-11/dffb4837-9c4a-4427-bdec-f546a89619bd
  4. What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.: I am setting up a new desktop and on my current desktop I already have a Windows 11 Home license installed and running.I want to upgrade my existing desktop to Windows 11 Pro and relocate the Windows 11 Home license onto the new desktop that is being built.A few questions...
  5. What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.

What happens to my Windows 11 Home License if I upgrade it to a Windows 11 Pro.: I am setting up a new desktop and on my current desktop I already have a Windows 11 Home license installed and running.I want to upgrade my existing desktop to Windows 11 Pro and relocate the Windows 11 Home license onto the new desktop that is being built.A few questions...
  6. Getting a license key for a Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting a license key for a Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade: Hi everyone,I work for an MSP and I have a managed customer who needs a few existing PC's upgraded from Windows 11 Home to Pro.I've done this before with the method of putting in a company Microsoft account with a company credit card to purchase the upgrade from right inside...
  7. Getting a license key for a Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade

Getting a license key for a Windows 11 Home to Pro upgrade: Hi everyone,I work for an MSP and I have a managed customer who needs a few existing PC's upgraded from Windows 11 Home to Pro.I've done this before with the method of putting in a company Microsoft account with a company credit card to purchase the upgrade from right inside...
  8. Windows Pro downgraded to Home on OEM License of Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Pro downgraded to Home on OEM License of Pro: Dell OEM license for Windows 8 pro was upgraded to 11 pro a few years ago, now It's on 11 Home. I upgraded to Win 11 Pro some years ago and it's been fine. How do I go back to 11 Pro without having to reinstall? I used ShowKeyPlus and it shows installed key as Win 10 RTM Core...
  9. Windows Pro downgraded to Home on OEM License of Pro

Windows Pro downgraded to Home on OEM License of Pro: Dell OEM license for Windows 8 pro was upgraded to 11 pro a few years ago, now It's on 11 Home. I upgraded to Win 11 Pro some years ago and it's been fine. How do I go back to 11 Pro without having to reinstall? I used ShowKeyPlus and it shows installed key as Win 10 RTM Core...
  10. Windows 11 home or pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 home or pro: I know the Pro version is supposed to be for businesses but should non-business consumers buy it? I am thinking of buying a new computer Lenovo 2023 IdeaCentre 3 Premium All-in-One Business Desktop, 27" FHD Touchscreen Display, Intel Core i7-13620H, 64GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Webcam,...