Windows 10: 8.1 upgrade to 10 a disaster so far

Discus and support 8.1 upgrade to 10 a disaster so far in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Started the upgrade about 10AM, all went well till near the final reboot to the login screen. Display froze though mouse still worked. [img]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Ztruker, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Ztruker Win User

8.1 upgrade to 10 a disaster so far

Started the upgrade about 10AM, all went well till near the final reboot to the login screen. Display froze though mouse still worked.

8.1 upgrade to 10 a disaster so far [​IMG]

Let it sit for 45 minutes then dropped power and powered up. Went through same end of install then same hang.
    Dropped it again. This time I started seeing flashes of the Desktop then back to the hang screen as above, flashing back and forth every few seconds.

Dropped power again and this time I get the desktop most of the time but it flashes back to the hung screen. Was able to click on Power then Shift click on Restart and rebooted to the repair screen.

Navigated through that till I was able to pick Rollback (Go back to previous build).
    Looks like this is hung now, asll I see is a blue screen with Go back to previous build at the top and RUnning under it with the rotating circle of dots.

I'll give it a few ore minutes then nuke it and restore my image of 8.1.

Not happy with the upgrade process at all, even though I've already done it many times during the Insider Preview.
    The biggest problem is there is no way to tell what is going on.

Can't Clean Install until after I can complete an upgrade install.

:)

Ztruker, Jul 28, 2015

2. Windows 10 upgrade to 1511 (10586) problems. Windows 10 pro 64 and windows 10 home 32.

If Microsoft does not get together all this mess with windows 10, the best way to go will be windows 7 definitely. So far has been a disaster just like windows vista, 8, 8.1 and now 10.

ReneDugarte, Jul 28, 2015
  3. Jmill831 Win User
    win 10

Upgraded to win 10 and it was disaster. Rolled back to 8.1 now it is disaster. Contemplating second upgrade to win 10 but clicking on toolbar icon does not work. How do I upgrade to win 10 second time?

Jmill831, Jul 28, 2015
Thema:

8.1 upgrade to 10 a disaster so far

1. 8.1 upgrade to 10 a disaster so far - Similar Threads - upgrade disaster far

2. Upgrade Disasters

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgrade Disasters: What is the best way to protect ourselves from Microsoft release of corrupt updates. When 1809 came out I was still suffering the same problems I had with 1803 and earlier with networking sharing which was totally changed since April. I could no longer access the drives on...
  3. Windows 10 upgrade disaster (Again!!!)

Windows 10 upgrade disaster (Again!!!): Once again I have received an update for windows 10. And again, the update failed to install, it then failed to revert back to my previous version. So now I have to try and re-install Windows 10 and will lose all the data/info on my PC. How can a large company be allowed...
  4. So Far, So Good

in Windows 10 Support
    So Far, So Good: After installing Windows 10 onto my Dell 1545 it appears to run faster than Win-7 and while it will take some time to get used to MS Edge it appears to run faster as well. Learning curve is fair and not too steep. Happy so far. Hopefully I can install the ISO and new GF...
  5. Disaster trying to upgrade to Windows 10

Disaster trying to upgrade to Windows 10: Hi I attempted to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last night and when I got up this morning my laptop is stuck on a DOS window with a message that the operating system cannot be found. *Sad Any advice? [img] 56987
  6. Upgrading so far - Success

Upgrading so far - Success: Greetings O Great Ones, from the Emerald Isle. Background: I've being using Windows since 3.00a. I had a dual boot set-up with 8.1 and 10240. 8.1 downloaded the RTM/GA. I have not upgraded this yet. 10240 downloaded only some of the files for the upgrade so I...
  7. Impressed so far

in Windows 10 Support
    Impressed so far: The upgrade had a hiccup but I've been very pleased with Windows 10 so far My observations ... All programs and hardware work with no modifications (was running 8.1) Full screen apps are manageable from standard PC desktop Like the new UI style, multiple desktops, task...
  8. Windows 10 upgrade good so far

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 upgrade good so far: Well I decided to post how my Windows 10 upgrade went because I felt like I was among the group that was left out from getting anywhere with the upgrade lol. First of all I was like many here who had Windows 10 reserved on this PC but never received the $Windows~BT folder or...
  9. My Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade Experience So Far

in Windows 10 Support
    My Windows 7 to Windows 10 Upgrade Experience So Far: I decided to take the plunge and do the Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 7 on my Lenovo T510 laptop (i5-m520 processor, 4GB RAM). Before I did the upgrade, I did a disk image copy of my hard drive to make it easy to go back to Windows 7 if I decide to. I've been running...
  10. So far so good Windows10

in Windows 10 Support
    So far so good Windows10: Installed Windows10 on two ASUS computers one running Win7pro the other 8.1,both installed Win10 without a problem. All files and installed programs were there after the instillation. Even my very old Paint Shop Pro 7 used on an XD computer again is working. But on the 8.1...