Windows 10: 8 -> 8.1 -> 10: The Evolution of Activation Keys

Discus and support 8 -> 8.1 -> 10: The Evolution of Activation Keys in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hi everyone I'll preface this question with a simple disclaimer: every Microsoft product I've ever used is legit, paid for, updated in a timely... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Mafman, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Mafman Win User

8 -> 8.1 -> 10: The Evolution of Activation Keys

Hi everyone

I'll preface this question with a simple disclaimer: every Microsoft product I've ever used is legit, paid for, updated in a timely manner, etc. I've also been using the same homebuilt PC all this time, so nothing has changed, physically. With that out of the way...

Pre-ordered Windows 8 (Pro) directly from Microsoft for $39.99 back in the day and that came with a Product Activation Key. When Windows 8.1 was first released, I downloaded it through the Windows app store, and could not activate it with my 8 Pro key. The advice was to use a particular generic activation code (See Post #1 in THIS thread for an example. )

Fast forward to today, where I've wiped my computer numerous times and am currently running Windows 10 (10162) with a generic activation number.

Any ideas what I can do, or may have to do, in order to fully update and activate Windows 10 when it's released? To the best of my knowledge I don't have a unique 8.1 code, and my old Windows 8 isn't currently in use.

The reinstall/upgrade path was tricky during some of the transitions these last few years. Worried about what sort of hoops I may have to jump through at the end of this month.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much,

Mike

:)

Mafman, Jul 4, 2015

2. My Windows 10 is asking me to activate it but it says my product key is invalid

Is this a new purchase of Windows 10 or you upgraded from Window 7/8/8.1 to Windows 10 or Windows 10 came preinstalled on your computer?

Also try Windows 10 activation troubleshooter

Windows Key+I > Update & security > Activation > Troubleshoot

E for Excel, Jul 4, 2015
  3. Activate Windows error after hard drive changes in Windows 10

If you move Windows 10 to a new PC then you need to reactivate it:

For paid retail Windows 10 just reinsert the Product key in Activation settings.

For free Upgrade, confirm you have Version 1511 at Settings>System>About, then insert a
    retail Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 Product key at the link there.

If the PC it was moved from came with Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 installed at factory or was Builder's OEM then it's Key cannot be used to activate on another PC.

Hope this helps.

Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Jul 4, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

That's not a generic activation code. That's a generic *INSTALLATION* code, then you have to use your Windows 8 code to activate.

The problem is that the installation program doesn't recognize Windows 8 codes, but the Activate dialog does. Your copy of Windows is still using your Windows 8 key.

Mystere, Jul 4, 2015
  5. Mafman Win User
    Thanks Mystere, but I'm not certain I understand. Ultimately my Windows 10 was installed fresh and not as an update, so I never used my old Windows 8 key, and definitely not a Windows 8.1 key.

With the newest 10 build(s), I had to use another, 2nd, key (as seen HERE) and a minor hack to activate, but even now, it shows my copy is activated (All Settings > Activation = Edition: Windows 10 Pro Insider Edition - Windows is Activated).

Is my old Windows 8 key tied to my Microsoft account and keeping me activated? Or am I, at this point and time, misrepresenting my account through openly shared keys? That's where my initial concern/confusion lay.

Sorry for being dense!

Mafman, Jul 4, 2015
  6. Mystere Win User
    I was correcting you that you did not activate Windows 8.1 with a generic key. There's no such thing as a generic 8.1 activation key. There is a generic 8.1 *INSTALLATION* key, but this does not activate your copy of 8.1, it only allows you to get it installed. You then have to use your original Windows 8 key to activate your Windows 8.1. I said nothing about Windows 10.

You are using the beta keys to activate Windows 10, and as long as you stay in the Windows Insider program, you can keep doing that. But if you want to install Windows 10 without staying in the program, you will need your original Windows 8 licensed copy to be upgraded.

Mystere, Jul 4, 2015
  7. bagavan Win User
    Due to this very reason I reverted back to my original 8.1 using my system image.

bagavan, Jul 4, 2015
  8. Mafman Win User

Mystere,

I get it now. I appreciate the fuller explanation. Now I'm looking forward to July 29th, the upgrade trepidation is gone.

Thank you.

Mike

Mafman, Jul 4, 2015
  9. So one question I have is can you upgrade a current licensed version of 8.1 to the 10240 that has been released and it basically be the same as the update they are going to release on 7/29 or is it best to wait?

rayman4449, Jul 21, 2015
  10. Mystere Win User
    We don't know... it may well be the same version. Or it might not... we'll have to see.

Mystere, Jul 21, 2015
  11. swarfega Win User
    I suggest waiting, its not long now.

swarfega, Jul 21, 2015
  12. frankws Win User
    I purchased win 8 for an old Dell laptop because it boots up so quickly.
    I updated it to 8.1 but do not remember having to use a key # to activate it.
    I recently updated it to the windows 10 insider addition and did not enter any key for that either.
    Do you only need a key if you are doing a clean install?

frankws, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. 8 -> 8.1 -> 10: The Evolution of Activation Keys - Similar Threads - Evolution Activation Keys

2. Cannot activate Windows 10 with Windows 8 key

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cannot activate Windows 10 with Windows 8 key: Hello,I just upgraded my hardware including my motherboard and now it shows me that my Windows 10 is not activated due to a hardware change. I tried to enter my original Windows 8.1 key which I buyed a long time ago but it is the transferable not OEM sort of a key I upgraded...
  3. Cannot activate Windows 10 with Windows 8 key

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot activate Windows 10 with Windows 8 key: Hello,I just upgraded my hardware including my motherboard and now it shows me that my Windows 10 is not activated due to a hardware change. I tried to enter my original Windows 8.1 key which I buyed a long time ago but it is the transferable not OEM sort of a key I upgraded...
  4. Cannot activate Windows 10 with Windows 8 key

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Error code: 1-8

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error code: 1-8: A few months ago I bought the virtual reality headset hp reverb g2 and after a week i did not playing them I had the error 8-1 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/error-code-1-8/528667d3-0819-45b7-8cf4-848089f68983
  6. Windows 10 activation failed Windows 8 key

Windows 10 activation failed Windows 8 key: A few years ago I built a PC, bought a Windows 8 core key through retail, activated it, and then upgraded to Windows 10. A few days ago I finished building a new PC and attempted to use the same key to activate Windows 10, figuring that since I had already done that upgrade...
  7. Activating Windows 10 with Windows 8 Key

Activating Windows 10 with Windows 8 Key: Hello Everyone, So the past two evenings have been an absolute nightmare trying to get Windows 10 re-installed on my computer. Here's a little background: I currently possess a Windows 8.0 key. I previously had upgraded to Windows 8.1 and then in August upgraded to...
  8. Version 15063 still activates with an 8 key

Version 15063 still activates with an 8 key: Had an old 8 key - just used it to activate version 15063. So either this is not CU, or CU can still be activated with old keys (unless MS have a way to pull the shutters down). 80265
  9. Activating Windows 10 using a Windows 8 Key

Activating Windows 10 using a Windows 8 Key: Hi everyone, I'm thinking about installing Windows 10 pro using the virtualization station on my QNAP NAS. Because we're still in the free upgrade period and I have access to one Windows 8.1 Pro license key through my school for personal use, I was wondering how best to...
  10. Windows 10 Activation from win7/8 key

Windows 10 Activation from win7/8 key: Hey everyone, been lurking this forum for a while and thought id post this one to hopefully clear this question up. We all know that if you have a win7/8 installation, then its just a matter of upgrading it when the final release lands by using the little windows app next...