Windows 10: 8 gb ram installed only 4 showing

Discus and support 8 gb ram installed only 4 showing in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Lenovo ideapad 310 touch laptop with 8gb ram installed in the ram slot. The laptop came with the 8gb ram installed when it was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Michael Duperly, Mar 30, 2020.

1. 8 gb ram installed only 4 showing

Hello,

I have a Lenovo ideapad 310 touch laptop with 8gb ram installed in the ram slot. The laptop came with the 8gb ram installed when it was purchased, this was not a modification. However, the system shows exactly 4.00 gb of ram when I click on about in settings. This is very strange since the CPUzid tool detects 8 gb of ram when I run it on my laptop, but windows AND the bios both only show 4 gbs. I have tried using msconfig to set a higher maximum ram limit, and to not set a limit at all, both of which result in no change. The bios specifically shows 4096 so I feel like the bios may be limiting the amount of ram windows can see that is installed. However you would think the laptop would have come set up to use all 8gb of ram installed. I have tried updating the bios but I'm not sure it is as up to date as it could be.

One reason I feel this may be a problem with windows is that a while back, my old hdd was corrupted and the laptop would not boot correctly. I bought a 1tb ssd and did a clean windows 10 install. Not sure if that would change any of the factory ram settings, but it seems the ram is being limited to exactly 4gb. I read that this may be because I could be running 32 bit windows 10 but this is not the case. It is 64 bit. I would appreciate anyone that can share input. Thanks.

:)

Michael Duperly, Mar 30, 2020

2. Ram upgrading: 4+4=8 gb or 4+8=12 gb?

I am using dell inspiron 5447

windows 10, 4 gb ram installed originally,

Intel i5, 2.4Ghz.

What would be better choice 4+4=8 gb or 4+8=12 gb?

ArpanPatel777, Mar 30, 2020
  3. Avik Win User
    Why 2.66 GB usable in 4 GB ram?

Thanks to everyone for their valuable suggestions. I guess the problem was with the OS.Because after increasing my ram from 4 gb to 8 gb still the usable memory was 2267 mb out of 8 gb, then I did a clean install of Windows 7.Now everything is fine and smooth, and usable memory is 7.9 gb out of 8 gb.

4. vedaban Win User

8 gb ram installed only 4 showing

8 GB RAM installed but only 3.23 GB usable

I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 Home from Windows 7 Home. And I replaced my 4 RAM sticks with 8 GB RAM but my system shows : Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (3.23 GB usable). Please advise if anyone knows how to fix this.

8 gb ram installed only 4 showing [​IMG]

vedaban, Mar 30, 2020
Thema:

8 gb ram installed only 4 showing

1. 8 gb ram installed only 4 showing - Similar Threads - ram installed showing

2. Why is only 3.38 GB RAM available from 8 GB installed?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is only 3.38 GB RAM available from 8 GB installed?: When I first got my laptop it had Windows 10 and 6GB RAM was available out of 8 GB I understand this is because of an integrated graphics card, but now I am on Windows 11 and there is only 3.38 GB available. I've also started getting the BSOD today when running more intensive...
  3. Why is only 3.38 GB RAM available from 8 GB installed?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is only 3.38 GB RAM available from 8 GB installed?: When I first got my laptop it had Windows 10 and 6GB RAM was available out of 8 GB I understand this is because of an integrated graphics card, but now I am on Windows 11 and there is only 3.38 GB available. I've also started getting the BSOD today when running more intensive...
  4. 8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.: Hello, So I Wanted To Know if I Can Use My Unusable RAM, Or Not, Because I Have Lot's Of Work, And I Want To Use The Unusable RAM, is There any way how to do it?...
  5. 8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    8 GB RAM, But 7.78 GB Unusable.: Hello, So I Wanted To Know if I Can Use My Unusable RAM, Or Not, Because I Have Lot's Of Work, And I Want To Use The Unusable RAM, is There any way how to do it?...
  6. Only 4 of 8 gb ram available

in Windows 10 Support
    Only 4 of 8 gb ram available: Thanks for reading this post. I have a Dell Inspirion 5770 laptop. Screenshots of some pertinent specs attached. My task command prompt >systeminfo shows that I have 8,055 mb total physical memory installed but only 3,881 mb available physical memory. I have seached the web...
  7. Is 4 GB of RAM Enough?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is 4 GB of RAM Enough?: Work is sending me a laptop since my personal one has been giving me issues. However, when looking at the specs, I noticed that the RAM is only 4 GB (i3 processor), and this has me pretty worried. Specifically, the model is a Dell Inspiron 14 5000 Series 2-in1 (5406). I am a...
  8. 16 GB of Ram installed hardware hijacking 8 GB of it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    16 GB of Ram installed hardware hijacking 8 GB of it.: Hi here's my specs first off: MPG X570 MSI Gaming Plus Motherboard 2x8 GB Patriot Viper 3000mhz RAM sticks AMD Ryzen 5 2600x 6 core processor GeForce EVGA RTX graphics card CX750M PSU Corsair USB 3.1 Gen 2 PCIe Allegro Captain 240RGB V2 CPU Cooler My problem: I...
  9. 8 GB RAM installed but only 3.23 GB usable

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    8 GB RAM installed but only 3.23 GB usable: I have recently upgraded to Windows 10 Home from Windows 7 Home. And I replaced my 4 RAM sticks with 8 GB RAM but my system shows : Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (3.23 GB usable). Please advise if anyone knows how to fix this. [img] 24275
  10. 12 GB Installed only 4 GB usable?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    12 GB Installed only 4 GB usable?: Just installed my new RAM and took a look at system to see that I only have 4 GB usable out of the 12 installed. I've done everything I thought of and nothing has worked. Does anyone know why this could be? CPU-Z Report CPU-Z TXT Report...