Windows 10: 8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)??

Discus and support 8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)?? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P51 and am looking at this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate...?skuId=5512100 Elsewhere it says that it comes with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by phaedruspress, Nov 26, 2018.

1. 8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)??

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P51 and am looking at this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate...?skuId=5512100

Elsewhere it says that it comes with a Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1) connector. Is this the connector that plugs into the back of the drive and then on the other end there is a regular USB 3.0 connector that plugs into the back of my computer? The ports on the back of my computer look like this:

8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)?? [​IMG]

Am I good to go purchasing this one without any connection problems? TIA.

:)

phaedruspress, Nov 26, 2018
  2. Sam3000 Win User

Why is my USB 3.1 gen 2 adapter (USB C Female to USB A Male) causing bottlenecking?

I recently picked up an SSD and enclosure with a built in USB Cable. CrystalDiskMark shows a >500MB/s read speed and >400MB/s write speed with a direct USB C connection to a USB 3.1 gen 2 port, so all good here.

But I also picked up these adaptors from amazon.co.uk to ensure I could connect the drive to more common USB type A ports. These adapters noted that they could handle the 10Gbit speeds of USB 3.1 gen 2, although they do note that when this is the case the "other side" (Type A side) runs at USB 2 speeds. Out of a lack of options I decided to give them a go nonetheless and the claim is true. But it's not as simple as saying "these must really just be USB 2 adaptors with a blue finish".

When using the adapter to connect the drive to a front panel USB 3.1 gen 1 port connected to the USB 3 motherboard header, the speeds are ~300MB/s and 400MB/s read and write respectively. So the adapter can handle high throughput but just can't when used in gen 1 or 2 ports on the IO panel of the motherboard itself. Maybe this is a motherboard issue...

Edit: Just verified this across 2 Desktop systems:

• Rear Motherboard IO (USB 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2) with adapter: ~40BM/s
      R/W
    • Rear Motherboard USB C with no adapter ~500MB/s R and ~400MB/s W
      (full speed)
    • Front panel IO connected to motherboard USB 3 header (gen 1) with
      adapter ~200MB/s R ~400MB/s W

What am I missing here? I have found only one adapter available that clearly states it has 10Gbit ports at either end but it's pricey so any alternative suggestions are welcome. Notably, it has a significant rectangle shape at the USB C side, maybe this is part of the explanation...? See below:

8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)?? Z1QHv.jpg

Sam3000, Nov 26, 2018
  3. ironwolf Win User
    Green House Announces Flash Drive with USB and Micro USB Connectivity

Smartphones w/micro USB ports for one.

ironwolf, Nov 26, 2018
  4. foxslink Win User

8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)??

USB 3 Ports not working

Hi folks,
    i was trying to copy some files from an external drive using the usb 3 port on my M/B but it doesnt work, i downloaded the drivers from the Manufacturers website but no luck either, am i missing an important step here? i havent checked the Bios yet
    GA-Z170XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

foxslink, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)??

1. 8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)?? - Similar Threads - 8TB Ext Drive

2. USB 3 ports not working with USB 3 Devices

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB 3 ports not working with USB 3 Devices: I have had this problem since February and not sure what to do. All of my USB 3 ports are not recognized by my computer as USB 3 ports only as USB 2/1.[ATTACH] The two active ports you see there are USB 3 ports, but they don't work as USB 3 ports. If any one has had this...
  3. Win10 with 1 TB+ USB Drives

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Win10 with 1 TB+ USB Drives: I have two different 2.5 SATA drive USB cables I've been using for a long time. When I have a 1 TB drive on these cables they are not working in win10. I can create a new volume, assign a drive letter, disk management shows it as online. Formatting fails either in a command...
  4. usb 3 board

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb 3 board: just installed a new usb 3 board, but PC cannot find or recognize it. Any thoughts? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3-board/e0a97612-4258-4aa9-97e2-7240772ca3eb
  5. Ext. USB HD no longer mounts

Ext. USB HD no longer mounts: It is a 2 TB Western Digital Elements USB hard drive. It used to be divided into two partitions which worked perfectly. I than wanted to re-combine the two partitions into one. I went into DiscManagement and deleted each partition. I expected to mount it again as a single 2...
  6. USB 2 Speeds on USB 3 flash drive.

USB 2 Speeds on USB 3 flash drive.: As per title. Windows 10 has already killed an older USB 2 flash drive, now the new USB 3 one only copies files at 20MBps. USB is seriously broken in Windows 10. 32587
  7. Ext USB HD's will not mount

Ext USB HD's will not mount: Have 2 Seagate SRD00F2 3TB USB ext hard drives in a mirror configuration using MS Storage Spaces. Were working when I shut down yesterday, but would not work this morning. Drives do not show up in Device Manager. However, when starting the drives after boot, two entries show...
  8. USB 3 Hub

USB 3 Hub: I have a new computer and noticed that when using a powered USB 3 hub connected to the ports on the back my USB drive are not connecting. This happens with my HDD's and my SSD's. If I plug the drives in directly to the ports they work. I can use the ports on the front. Is...
  9. USB 3 Ports Stopped Working

USB 3 Ports Stopped Working: My front and rear USB 3 ports stopped working. The rear USB 2 ports still work. When I plug an external HDD into the front USB 3 ports it powers up the drive, but it isn't recognized in Windows Explorer. My USB card reader doesn't light up. Device Manager doesn't show any USB...
  10. 1-3 second lags

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    1-3 second lags: So this started like last week where i get these small lags when my pc freezes for like 1-3 seconds. It can happen when i play games or just browsing. It happens probably like 2 times every hour. This is a problem for me because when i play csgo and im shooting towards...