Windows 10: 8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)??

Discus and support 8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)?? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P51 and am looking at this: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate...?skuId=5512100 Elsewhere it says that it comes with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by phaedruspress, Nov 26, 2018.

1. 8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)??

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P51 and am looking at this:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/seagate...?skuId=5512100

Elsewhere it says that it comes with a Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1) connector. Is this the connector that plugs into the back of the drive and then on the other end there is a regular USB 3.0 connector that plugs into the back of my computer? The ports on the back of my computer look like this:

8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)?? [​IMG]

Am I good to go purchasing this one without any connection problems? TIA.

:)

phaedruspress, Nov 26, 2018
  2. Sam3000 Win User

Why is my USB 3.1 gen 2 adapter (USB C Female to USB A Male) causing bottlenecking?

I recently picked up an SSD and enclosure with a built in USB Cable. CrystalDiskMark shows a >500MB/s read speed and >400MB/s write speed with a direct USB C connection to a USB 3.1 gen 2 port, so all good here.

But I also picked up these adaptors from amazon.co.uk to ensure I could connect the drive to more common USB type A ports. These adapters noted that they could handle the 10Gbit speeds of USB 3.1 gen 2, although they do note that when this is the case the "other side" (Type A side) runs at USB 2 speeds. Out of a lack of options I decided to give them a go nonetheless and the claim is true. But it's not as simple as saying "these must really just be USB 2 adaptors with a blue finish".

When using the adapter to connect the drive to a front panel USB 3.1 gen 1 port connected to the USB 3 motherboard header, the speeds are ~300MB/s and 400MB/s read and write respectively. So the adapter can handle high throughput but just can't when used in gen 1 or 2 ports on the IO panel of the motherboard itself. Maybe this is a motherboard issue...

Edit: Just verified this across 2 Desktop systems:

• Rear Motherboard IO (USB 3.1 gen 1 and gen 2) with adapter: ~40BM/s
      R/W
    • Rear Motherboard USB C with no adapter ~500MB/s R and ~400MB/s W
      (full speed)
    • Front panel IO connected to motherboard USB 3 header (gen 1) with
      adapter ~200MB/s R ~400MB/s W

What am I missing here? I have found only one adapter available that clearly states it has 10Gbit ports at either end but it's pricey so any alternative suggestions are welcome. Notably, it has a significant rectangle shape at the USB C side, maybe this is part of the explanation...? See below:

8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)?? Z1QHv.jpg

Sam3000, Nov 26, 2018
  3. ironwolf Win User
    Green House Announces Flash Drive with USB and Micro USB Connectivity

Smartphones w/micro USB ports for one.

ironwolf, Nov 26, 2018
  4. foxslink Win User

8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)??

USB 3 Ports not working

Hi folks,
    i was trying to copy some files from an external drive using the usb 3 port on my M/B but it doesnt work, i downloaded the drivers from the Manufacturers website but no luck either, am i missing an important step here? i havent checked the Bios yet
    GA-Z170XP-SLI (rev. 1.0) | Motherboard - GIGABYTE Global

foxslink, Nov 26, 2018
Thema:

8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)??

1. 8TB Ext HD Drive w/ Micro-USB 3.0 Port (USB 3.1 Gen 1)?? - Similar Threads - 8TB Ext Drive

2. Thunderbolt 3 port cannot recognize USB Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Thunderbolt 3 port cannot recognize USB Drive: hello all,I spotted this issue around 1.5 month ago when my Thunderbolt 3 port could not recognize the mobile SSD drive a nvme SSD driver normally C to C cable. Problem:The system can read the drive normally if the device is plugged in BEFORE the laptop is turned on. But the...
  3. Thunderbolt 3 port cannot recognize USB Drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Thunderbolt 3 port cannot recognize USB Drive: hello all,I spotted this issue around 1.5 month ago when my Thunderbolt 3 port could not recognize the mobile SSD drive a nvme SSD driver normally C to C cable. Problem:The system can read the drive normally if the device is plugged in BEFORE the laptop is turned on. But the...
  4. Only USB 3.2 Gen 1 usb ports working in Windows

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Only USB 3.2 Gen 1 usb ports working in Windows: So, when i start my pc and go to my bios all my Usb ports work, but when i go to windows they stop working. Every usb port still hast power but there is no data transfer. Like written above only the Usb 3.2 Gen 1 ports work fully. I have upgraded my power supply and...
  5. Only USB 3.2 Gen 1 usb ports working in Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Only USB 3.2 Gen 1 usb ports working in Windows: So, when i start my pc and go to my bios all my Usb ports work, but when i go to windows they stop working. Every usb port still hast power but there is no data transfer. Like written above only the Usb 3.2 Gen 1 ports work fully. I have upgraded my power supply and...
  6. Only USB 3.2 Gen 1 usb ports working in Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Are all USB-C ports USB 3?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are all USB-C ports USB 3?: Idk where else to ask this. Do all USB-C ports support USB 3 cables? My USB-C port just has a normal USB port but so does my USB 3.1 Gen1 port. submitted by /u/xMasterMelonx [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/k05owe/are_all_usbc_ports_usb_3/
  8. usb 3 ports not detected

usb 3 ports not detected: we have 2 dell vostro 3750 laptops after update one installed renesas usb3 drivers automatically but the other did not ?usb 3 ports no longer work.strange https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-3-ports-not-detected/1bd5883f-46a3-4d4d-be0b-343b85d272a2
  9. USB 3 ports not working with USB 3 Devices

USB 3 ports not working with USB 3 Devices: I have had this problem since February and not sure what to do. All of my USB 3 ports are not recognized by my computer as USB 3 ports only as USB 2/1.[ATTACH] The two active ports you see there are USB 3 ports, but they don't work as USB 3 ports. If any one has had this...
  10. Ext USB HD's will not mount

Ext USB HD's will not mount: Have 2 Seagate SRD00F2 3TB USB ext hard drives in a mirror configuration using MS Storage Spaces. Were working when I shut down yesterday, but would not work this morning. Drives do not show up in Device Manager. However, when starting the drives after boot, two entries show...