Windows 10: 90% of my pictures are gone after changing the Picture´s folder location

Discus and support 90% of my pictures are gone after changing the Picture´s folder location in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello. I changed the location of my Pictures folder to an external drive to make more room in my computer, and after doing so the majority of the .jpg... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ErickCalvo, Dec 27, 2019.

1. 90% of my pictures are gone after changing the Picture´s folder location

Hello.

I changed the location of my Pictures folder to an external drive to make more room in my computer, and after doing so the majority of the .jpg files are missing.

I changed the location back but it didn’t help. I checked the drive for errors, the users folder, looked through the hidden files, performed a indexing, and even tried with two different recovery softwares but nothing fixed the issue.

The part that gets my attention is that all the subfolders are still there and some of them do have pictures in them, but some others are empty; and none of the .mpg files within the same folders are missing.

Please help! I lost all my modeling book which I need to work, and the pictures of my recently-passed-away grandmother.

Thanks.

:)

ErickCalvo, Dec 27, 2019
  2. mrgeek Win User

Correct Directory Location For Pictures Folder

"Now Documents, Videos etc say file location is This PC. But Pictures file location is C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures."

If we understand you correctly, the issue is that Pictures doesn't appear in the left panel under This PC. The correct location IS C:\Users\PeteyBoPetey\Pictures. This is only an issue of using Step 8 in the tutorial to add it back to the list. See if this screenshot is what you want to achieve- put Pictures folder back in list on L.

90% of my pictures are gone after changing the Picture´s folder location [​IMG]

mrgeek, Dec 27, 2019
  3. enso Win User
    Quick Access not searching Pictures folder

Summary, that last suggestion didn't work.

• I moved the pictures to another folder temporarily.

• Since there were no troubleshooting steps for this scenario, just for the heck of it, I ran through the restore steps. Copied some pictures into the Pictures folder, ran a Quick Access search and initial problem remains: Searching all of QA doesn't find any files in Pictures folder, running search on just the Pictures folder does. I want to run a global search and find matching files in any/all of the Documents, Music, Videos, and Pictures folders.
    That article dates from 2015 and I'm guessing is out of date. I hope it didn't create potential future problems in my registry.

Bottom line: I'm still looking for a fix.

4. Mohan B P Win User

90% of my pictures are gone after changing the Picture´s folder location

Picture User Folder vs Library Picture Folder / Add to User folder

Hi,

Form the issue description, I realize that you are trying to view your pictures in the default pictures library. To do so, you have to change the location of the folder that contains your pictures to the default pictures library folder.

To view your pictures in the default pictures library, I suggest you to follow the steps below.

• Right-click on the default Picture folder
      and click on Properties.

• Navigate to Location tab.

• Click on Move…. and select the folder that contains your pictures and click on
      Apply and then click on Ok.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us for further information on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Dec 27, 2019
Thema:

90% of my pictures are gone after changing the Picture´s folder location

1. 90% of my pictures are gone after changing the Picture´s folder location - Similar Threads - 90% pictures are

2. Photos lost after changing default location of Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos lost after changing default location of Pictures folder: I just did a clean install of windows 11 and noticed my user folder name had a typo. Searched how to rename it, found this tutorial and followed it. https://www.elevenforum.com/t/change-name-of-user-profile-folder-in-windows-11.2133/ After having done that, now with a...
  3. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  4. Change Default Location of Picture Folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Change Default Location of Picture Folder: I want to change the default location of my pictures folder from out of my OneDrive and just under the main user folder. I keep getting this error. Is there a workaround for this?...
  5. The Pictures Folder Is Gone.

in Windows 10 Support
    The Pictures Folder Is Gone.: The latest windows update basically deleted my pictures folder and I want to know how to get it back, I have tried numerous software but all of them are demos and I don't want to have to pay millions of dollars or whatever in order to get it, please help. 174753
  6. Unable to change location of Documents or Pictures folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to change location of Documents or Pictures folder: When I bring up the Document Properties window, and click on the Location tab, the window id missing the 3 buttons (Restore Default, Move, Find Target) that everyone else seems to have. And the path field is not editable. Any ideas? 155160
  7. Pictures and Downloads folders disappeared after changing the location

in Windows 10 Support
    Pictures and Downloads folders disappeared after changing the location: Hello, I just got a new PC, and moved my second drive from my old PC into it. This contains my pictures and downloads. I also added a couple of folders to my user folder (C:\Users\MyName\), and copied the data from my old PC. I right-clicked on the Pictures folder in my...
  8. 90% of my pictures are gone after changing the Picture´s folder location

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    90% of my pictures are gone after changing the Picture´s folder location: Hello. I changed the location of my Pictures folder to an external drive to make more room in my computer, and after doing so the majority of the .jpg files are missing. I changed the location back but it didn’t help. I checked the drive for errors, the users folder, looked...
  9. Unable to change location of pictures and documents folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Unable to change location of pictures and documents folders: When I try to change the location of the documents folder and the pictures folder, I get a message, "Can't move the folder because there is a folder in the same location that can't be redirected. Access is denied." I get this message whether or not I choose to move the files...
  10. Default Pictures Folder is Gone

in Windows 10 Support
    Default Pictures Folder is Gone: For some reason, my picture folder is in "Quick Access" pinned. When I go into the properties of the Photos folder that is pinned in "Quick Access", I look at the locations tab and it says it's in my User Folder. Though it does not appear inside of the User Folder, whereas...