Windows 10: 97.5 % of copied data copied from Win XP to portable hard drive disappeared - but total...

Discus and support 97.5 % of copied data copied from Win XP to portable hard drive disappeared - but total... in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I copied some 60 GB from a Netbook running Windows XP Home to a 2-month-old portable hard disc drive. The Netbook had TeraCopy installed which... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dB.Distler, Dec 14, 2019.

1. 97.5 % of copied data copied from Win XP to portable hard drive disappeared - but total...

Hello,

I copied some 60 GB from a Netbook running Windows XP Home to a 2-month-old portable hard disc drive. The Netbook had TeraCopy installed which supposedly monitored the process giving feedback such as percentage and time remaining.

When I went to access the copied folders later, I clicked on the top-level folder and Windows 10 opened the following message:

You Don’t currently have permission to access this folder.
    Click continue to permanently get access to this folder

The progress bar ran its course and when I opened the folder it only contained 1 folder and its sub-folders out of the dozens of folders that should be there. It reads 1.5 GB in size out of the approximately 60 GB I copied. I have hope the other 97.5 % of data wasn’t lost because the total hard drive’s size has been reduced in 60 GB. And all the data previously saved to the disc is intact.

I’ve set Folder Explorer Options View tab to

Show hidden files, folders and drives

and unchecked

Hide protected operating system files

(even though what I copied are travel pictures and documents).

I’ve twice scanned the disc with a data recovery program (Recuva Pro) in both normal and in-depth modes and found no “deleted” files.

I’ve also run searches on folder names I remember, to check they weren’t accidentally copied to another folder on this drive.

Can anyone shed any light on what’s going on?

The netbook that originally held the files was formatted to become a Linux machine, so I can’t go back to that without a much larger effort than would be recovering the selected files I copied to this portable Seagate Expansion drive.

:)

dB.Distler, Dec 14, 2019
  2. dhdude Win User

Replacing old hard drive, need way to copy Windows installation across

Hey Guys,
    What would be the best way of copying/imaging the entire contents of an old system drive over to a replacement hard disk for the same machine? I need to copy the Windows installations and all other data to the new drive, and then format the old drive to use as a backup.

Any suggestions? *Smile 97.5 % of copied data copied from Win XP to portable hard drive disappeared - but total... :)

dhdude, Dec 14, 2019
  3. trog100 Win User
    Copying Hard Drives

bart pe is worth getting.. its a freeware win pe pretty much a self contained xp operating system on a cd.. depending what apps are installed on it u can do pretty much everything completely independent of windows..

u just install your second drive make sure your partitions are the same or as u want them and just copy the contents of one drive straight to the other.. remove the first drive and the machine will boot from the new one..

u can put the old one back afterwards and change drive letters and such to make sense in windows if u want to..

the c: documents and settings folder plus the windows folder and the loose files on C: are in essense "windows".. u can just copy these and the new drive will work..

with win 98 it was only the windows folder and the loose files that needed to be copied.. with xp u need the other folder..

http://www.bartpe.org/

trog

trog100, Dec 14, 2019
  4. Pozzie Win User

97.5 % of copied data copied from Win XP to portable hard drive disappeared - but total...

Folder contents disappear from portable hard drive

Hi

I am transferring files from a couple of computers (-all WIN 10, 1803 build) to a portable NTFS hard drive. I have regularly done this before, so its not new and I have not had issues.

But on 2 recent occasions, after a cut and paste from an internal computer hard drive, a duplicate folder has appeared in the hard portable drive, and the contents of the original folder on that portable hard drive have disappeared: the message is the "folder
    is empty". However, when I right click and open "properties" of that original folder, the number of files and the data is definitely not zero and is comparable to all of the prior contents.

I have read up about NTFS folder/file ownership and permissions and have re-assigned both in case I had stuffed this up at another time (The files were coming from different 'owners'). But no help: I cannot access nor even list the missing files.

I have run anti-virus : no issues.

Any suggestions to recover these files would be much appreciated.

Pozzie, Dec 14, 2019
Thema:

97.5 % of copied data copied from Win XP to portable hard drive disappeared - but total...

1. 97.5 % of copied data copied from Win XP to portable hard drive disappeared - but total... - Similar Threads - copied data copied

2. copying from one external hard drive to another

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copying from one external hard drive to another: I am trying to copy a large folder of photo files from one external hard drive to another in Windows 10. I used a drag and drop command and the resulting window showed progress as I could see the names of individual photo files showing briefly. After the copy process...
  3. Copying to External Hard Drive

Copying to External Hard Drive: I try to copy files to my external hard drives, the system goes through the procedure, but when I look where the files should be, only the folders are being copied. Why am I unable to copy to external drives and how can I do this?...
  4. Copy data from HDD to HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy data from HDD to HDD: I need to copy 1.5TB of data (audio/video) onto a new 4TB drive and wondered if anyone had recommendations. I need to keep the data on the source drive. Free is good. I did read a post here that suggested Robocopy, but that seems a bit daunting for an old fogie like me....
  5. Copying a data only drive to a larger data drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Copying a data only drive to a larger data drive: I did the copy, but do I just change the drive letters in Disk Management? The data is fine, I just don't know where to go from here. IOW, I copied my smaller disk E (Platter drive) to larger disk G (SSD) and would like it to function just like the smaller E drive did....
  6. How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?: Before I send my laptop computer to HP for repairs, I want to copy or back up my data not programs or system to my external hard drive which contains plenty of free space. When I try to copy or drag&drop the Windows\Users folder, the dialog box specifies fewer files 3500...
  7. How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?

How Can I Copy My Data from Laptop to External Hard Drive?: Before I send my laptop computer to HP for repairs, I want to copy or back up my data not programs or system to my external hard drive which contains plenty of free space. When I try to copy or drag&drop the Windows\Users folder, the dialog box specifies fewer files 3500...
  8. Can't copy data from my laptop to my external hard drive

Can't copy data from my laptop to my external hard drive: Hi all, I have a 500gb canvio basic that I recently purchased. Yesterday, i was moving some data from my HP laptop & the battery died in the middle of transferring. At this point, i am unable to transfer data from the laptop to the hard drive (it disconnects itself) but I...
  9. Full copy of a hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Full copy of a hard drive?: Is it possible to make an entire copy of your Windows 10 hard drive installation with all existing programs so everything (and I do mean everything) can be transferred to a new SSD drive?...
  10. External Hard Drive copies

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive copies: When I attach an external hard drive it displays two copies (e.g. Drive (E:)) the content is the same but when moving folders or files i have sometimes put them in different copies. I would like just one drive but how do i get rid of the copy?...