Windows 10: 99% drop in disk performance

Discus and support 99% drop in disk performance in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have a six month old HP laptop with a clean install of windows 10 updated to v.1903 (OS build 18362-356). It is updated to current. I have a pair... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Robert Scott VA, Sep 27, 2019.

1. 99% drop in disk performance

I have a six month old HP laptop with a clean install of windows 10 updated to v.1903 (OS build 18362-356). It is updated to current.

I have a pair of internal drives- one solid state system disk, and one internal SATA spinning disk from Seagate. I have downloaded Seatools drive diagnostics, and the drive gives every indication of being absolutely fine. I have a pair of Western Digital USB 3.0 external drives that are working just fine.

I have experienced a sudden drop in transfer speeds to the spinning disk drive. When I copy a large file to the drive, I experience <1mb transfer speeds. This drive used to accomplish 100mb-120mb sustained speeds when copying files. This seemed to begin after an update to v.1903.

I have attempted drive optimization- 59% fragmented- and have been running defrag now for 36 hours- and Im still on the first pass 5%.

It's a 2TB drive that is almost full, mostly with files >2gb. I certainly have enough space left to do a defrag, and I can't imagine this has to do with indexing...

I am still under warranty, but after noticing that HP support drivers for my video card were all vulnerable to a pair of exploits, I called those folks to ask if my video card was a reference design, and would support a current driver directly from nVidia- and they had no idea what I was talking about. Anyone with an HP computer would be better advised to consult the nearest handy thirteen year old child.

So, I'm stumped, anybody have any ideas?

Regards,

Scott

:)

Robert Scott VA, Sep 27, 2019
  2. Johan45 Win User

AMD FX OC'ers Club

That's what the auto setting will do since you're over the 1333 mark it jumps to the next step which isn't listed or officially supported I assume by that ram.

At this point though I would suggest dropping the multi one step or .5 so that we can get something stable and possibly take the heat issue out of the picture for now.

Johan45, Sep 27, 2019
  3. Disk Usage 100 % in Windows 10 degraded my system performance

Hi Zahid,

To help us identify the cause of the issue and then find the proper resolution for it, let us know if there were any changes made on the PC prior to the issue.

Since the steps you have taken didn't help, here are a few suggestions that you can try to resolve Windows 10 high disk usage issue:

Disable the Superfetch service.

This service is built to improve PC performance by speeding up the startup of programs and pre-loading the apps you often use into memory. If you don't do anything after powering on, it will still take up high percentage of the disk. To disable the Superfetch
    service, follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + X and select Computer Management.

• Expand Services and Applications on the left column and click on
      Services.

• Navigate to Superfetch and double-click on it, and then select
      Disable from the drop-down menu of Startup type.

Update the AHCI driver.

Outdated AHCI driver will affect the system performance and result in 100% disk usage in Windows 10. Furthermore, outdated, missing or broken drivers can also cause other issues like Bluetooth not working, PC not waking up from sleep, etc.

Let us know how it goes.

Aileen Alf, Sep 27, 2019
  4. 99% drop in disk performance

DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Sep 27, 2019
Thema:

99% drop in disk performance

1. 99% drop in disk performance - Similar Threads - 99% drop disk

2. Weird Performance drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird Performance drop: Hi, I've been playing on my laptop for about 2-3 years now and it didn't seem to have big performance issues. However, as it stands since a few weeks ago, the performance dropped in the device. I gave it to repair quite recently due to a short circuit, yet the GPU and CPU...
  3. Weird Performance drop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird Performance drop: Hi, I've been playing on my laptop for about 2-3 years now and it didn't seem to have big performance issues. However, as it stands since a few weeks ago, the performance dropped in the device. I gave it to repair quite recently due to a short circuit, yet the GPU and CPU...
  4. Weird performance drop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird performance drop: This used to never happen to me. My game is constantly getting 15 or under FPS, when I usually get 60 with the same amount of CPU, GPU and Memory usage. Also even if I restart the game it will still have the same problem, and I actually have to restart the whole laptop. Even...
  5. Weird performance drop

Weird performance drop: This used to never happen to me. My game is constantly getting 15 or under FPS, when I usually get 60 with the same amount of CPU, GPU and Memory usage. Also even if I restart the game it will still have the same problem, and I actually have to restart the whole laptop. Even...
  6. Check disk stuck at 99%

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Check disk stuck at 99%: Hi!My computer started a check disk upon startup on my external drive. I didn't know what it was and let it run.It now says "Fixing E: Stage 3: 100% 1 of 1: Total 99%; ETA: 0:00:00...", right under the ROG logo. And it has been stuck on that screen for more than 48 hours now....
  7. Check disk stuck at 99%

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Check disk stuck at 99%: Hi!My computer started a check disk upon startup on my external drive. I didn't know what it was and let it run.It now says "Fixing E: Stage 3: 100% 1 of 1: Total 99%; ETA: 0:00:00...", right under the ROG logo. And it has been stuck on that screen for more than 48 hours now....
  8. Check disk stuck at 99%

9. Computer Performance Suddenly Dropped

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Performance Suddenly Dropped: Hi everyone,Several days ago I started having performance issues when ever I attempt to play games on my computer. The type of game doesn't really matter, it could be a triple A game or the equivalent of a mobile game, and I will have serious issues trying to play it. I'm...
  10. Windows 10 = Performance drops

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Windows 10 = Performance drops: Hi guys, I recently upgraded to windows 10 (Clean install) from windows 7 64-bit. I have a Geforce GTX 970 GPU, latest drivers, latest BIOS. In fact the computer isn't over 2 months old. However after upgrading to Windows 10, I have experienced substantial performance...