Windows 10: A basic Win 10 or a strong Win 7?

Discus and support A basic Win 10 or a strong Win 7? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For what its worth I have three systems here with AMD CPU's, all of them are running Windows 10 with no issues. That may change tomorrow, but as of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018.

1. A basic Win 10 or a strong Win 7?

For what its worth I have three systems here with AMD CPU's, all of them are running Windows 10 with no issues. That may change tomorrow, but as of today no issues.
    My laptop is running an AMD A10-4600M 2.3 GHZ Quad Core AMD Trinity, AMD A70M chip-set.
    My main desktop an AMD Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition Deneb 3.7GHz
    And my backup desktop an AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz
    Both desktops are running NVIDIA nForce 630a / GeForce 7025 chip-sets.
    I can't see ever going back to Windows 7, as much as I liked it. Worst case scenario is I would just run and older build of Windows 10.. just my 2 cents.

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018

2. I am searching for opinions and advice: I have two laptops, one is a 15 year old Lenovo with an ADM processor with Windows 10 (came originally with Win 7 and later converted to Win 10) which I am using and which does everything I ask it to. I also have an HP with an i5 processor with Windows 7 which, I am told, is a many times more powerful machine. I should appreciate advice and opinions as to which one I should use as my daily "for everything" machine.

I mostly use Office components (documents and spreadsheets), pictures for viewing, editing and printing (Corel products), the web for reading the daily news from 5 or 6 different locations (Chrome) and watch accompanying videos, and occasionally download music which I eventually burn to disc (CDburnerXP) using my built-in CD-Rom drive. I also conduct all my on-line financials (Quicken). I do not game.

The reason I am mentioning my uses is because I am 74 years old and not familiar with what is relevant and what is not to form the desired opinion. Let me add that over all these years this Lenovo Win 10 convert has never given me any problems; never!

I have discovered in the past that there are many experts on this forum and I hope some will be kind enough to humour this old dinosaur with advice about the advisability and/or the necessity of changing over from one laptop to the other simply for the sake of the extra processing power. For any contributions to my computer-education I thank one and all in advance.

Regards from Ottawa, Canada.

:)

Tony Vella, Apr 29, 2018
  3. Transferring license

That means it is a win 10 key and basically useless. In win 10 it is the device that is registered not the software.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Apr 29, 2018
  4. A basic Win 10 or a strong Win 7?

How to set up POP3 Email account in Windows 10

That was helpful! I am currently dealing on this old Win 7 machine. Running strong since 1999! Tomorrow I will be back on Win 10, which I like, and I will deploy your SPAM folder advice. Thanks again. jiva Wheeling Creek WV

jivagoswamidasa, Apr 29, 2018
  5. pyramid10 Win User
    For a 74-year-old, you are busy!

If I were a busy 74, I would have two 'workstations'. One for the (newer Intel i5) CPU-intensive tasks, and one for the (older Lenovo) reading/browsing. Adjust the furniture and mood as needed. Network the two, and one station can download and the other can burn.

pyramid10, Apr 29, 2018
  6. A 15-year-old Lenovo? I don't think Lenovo has been making computers for that long!

In any case ... if it really is that old I'd junk it.

I don't know how old that i5 CPU is (you did not specify which i5) but it's surely not 15 years old.

The choice is easy. Use the newer one.

margrave55, Apr 29, 2018
  7. Bree New Member
    Lenovo has been around a lot longer than that, but if we're talking about the IBM range of PCs then 14 years is possible.
    Lenovo - Wikipedia

If it has worked reliably that long I'd keep it, if it still does the job why not? Regularly back up your user files though, it can't last forever *Smile

I would however update the i5 to Windows 10, then you'd have a spare for the day the Lenovo dies or ceases to be sufficient for the tasks. And if you find you like the i5 better, you can take your time and migrate your work to it gradually. If they're networked migrating files would be easy.

Thema:

A basic Win 10 or a strong Win 7?

1. A basic Win 10 or a strong Win 7? - Similar Threads - basic strong

2. Windows 10 basic clipboard issue not all highlighted text is copied to clipboard usually...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 basic clipboard issue not all highlighted text is copied to clipboard usually...: Windows 10 basic clipboard issue not all highlighted text is copied to clipboard usually trying to copy one page of text https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-basic-clipboard-issue-not-all/1819b887-2636-4cea-a01a-00473acb481a
  3. Windows 10 basic clipboard issue not all highlighted text is copied to clipboard usually...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 basic clipboard issue not all highlighted text is copied to clipboard usually...: Windows 10 basic clipboard issue not all highlighted text is copied to clipboard usually trying to copy one page of text https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-basic-clipboard-issue-not-all/1819b887-2636-4cea-a01a-00473acb481a
  4. Windows 10 basic clipboard issue not all highlighted text is copied to clipboard usually...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. How I can make my Dynamic disk to basic Disk

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How I can make my Dynamic disk to basic Disk: How I can make my Dynamic disk back to Basic .it is my main Disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-can-make-my-dynamic-disk-to-basic-disk/d506d312-5e4c-4d0e-b84d-3a8bc597a0f1
  6. How I can make my Dynamic disk to basic Disk

How I can make my Dynamic disk to basic Disk: How I can make my Dynamic disk back to Basic .it is my main Disk https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-i-can-make-my-dynamic-disk-to-basic-disk/d506d312-5e4c-4d0e-b84d-3a8bc597a0f1
  7. Getting Blue Screen while trying to do basic quick virus scan on my antivirus

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Getting Blue Screen while trying to do basic quick virus scan on my antivirus: Hi!Title is pretty self explanatory, I'm getting a blue screen when trying to use my antivirus to do a quick scan. I also have a separate issue where I cannot play games for more than a couple minutes without crashing with a persistent error.Here are the crash logs of the...
  8. Getting Blue Screen while trying to do basic quick virus scan on my antivirus

Getting Blue Screen while trying to do basic quick virus scan on my antivirus: Hi!Title is pretty self explanatory, I'm getting a blue screen when trying to use my antivirus to do a quick scan. I also have a separate issue where I cannot play games for more than a couple minutes without crashing with a persistent error.Here are the crash logs of the...
  9. Getting Blue Screen while trying to do basic quick virus scan on my antivirus

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  10. Visual Basic Command Line Compilervbc is consuming100% of my CPU while Computer starts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Visual Basic Command Line Compilervbc is consuming100% of my CPU while Computer starts: Hi Community!When I turn on my PC, the Visual Basic Command Line Compiler vbc immediately consumes 100% CPU, and I'm unsure why this issue is occurring. I've already scanned for malware and viruses using Windows Defender, but no threats were found. As a developer, I...