Windows 10: A better driver than its update, what should I do?

Discus and support A better driver than its update, what should I do? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A couple of days ago, I received a message about an optional update for one of my drivers in Settings-> Windows Update. I let it install but today I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ssss_123, Apr 10, 2021.

1. ssss_123 Win User

A better driver than its update, what should I do?

A couple of days ago, I received a message about an optional update for one of my drivers in Settings-> Windows Update. I let it install but today I checked its status and saw it has been failed. So, I retried to install it by the recommended bottom there. Again it failed and I see this message in Windows Update page of my laptop:

Error encountered
    Last checked: Today 12:12 A.M.

A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we're trying to install. We'll keep trying to install.

I checked update history to see which driver it is belong to, but there wasn't any failed update installation on its list. What should I do? How can I understand which driver it is belong to? What does the message written in bold mean? Will the windows install the update even if the current version is better? Is it OK? Can I prevent it? What can I do if the update installed and it wouldn't be good? Does it really influence my experience as a user, at all?!! Can it be problematic for me?

:)

ssss_123, Apr 10, 2021

2. Windows update keeps replacing ALPS Touchpad driver with a Synaptics driver.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community. Appreciate your interest in using Windows 10.

I suggest you to uninstall and delete the previous drivers and the latest drivers for the touchpad and install the required version of the driver from Device Manager by following the steps below:

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager from the list.
    • Expand the Touch pad driver.
    • Right click on the driver and click on update/install.
    • Select the required version from the on-screen prompts.

And for the problem with the installation of printer drivers, I suggest you to run the Windows Update troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Type “Troubleshooting” in search box and press Enter.
    • Click on “View All” option on top left pane.
    • Select “Windows Update” from the list and follow the prompts for troubleshooting.

Hope the information is helpful. Feel free to
    write to us for any other assistance with Windows, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Eeshwar Kumar, Apr 10, 2021
  3. Windows update reverted display to MS Basic Display Driver

Hi,

Normally, this issue occurs when the drivers were being corrupted or updated after the recent update. Since you've already tried to install the latest driver, we suggest that you roll back to the previous driver and check if it helps to resolve the issue. To
    do this, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open Device Manager.
    • Double-click the device for which you want to roll back to the previous version of the driver, and then click
      Properties.
    • Under the Driver tab, select Roll Back Driver.
    • Select OK.

Let us know how it goes after performing the suggested steps.

Eileen Gal, Apr 10, 2021
  4. 3Colors Win User

Windows Updated(16299.309).KB4088776 Restart is required to complete.

Hi dalchina. Good news, I followed your suggestion and reinstalled the update and now it appears as "installed correctly" *Biggrin Maybe it was not necessary to run the Windows Update Troubleshooter or maybe if necessary. But using it I do not think it could have worsened something. The installation was very fast, unlike the first time it showed step 1 and step 2 completed.

Thanks for the suggestions and for the time to respond A better driver than its update, what should I do? :) Best regards.

And thanks for the tip of that program, I'll have it on my list.

3Colors, Apr 10, 2021
Thema:

1. A better driver than its update, what should I do? - Similar Threads - better driver update

2. If the characters, I type are different than what they are supposed to be what should I do?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    If the characters, I type are different than what they are supposed to be what should I do?: When I type the characters they are different than what they are supposed to be. If I type a question mark something else comes up. I had to guess which was which. I looked it up on the internet which told me to run a troubleshooter on the keyboard. I did but nothing wrong...
  3. If the characters, I type are different than what they are supposed to be what should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    If the characters, I type are different than what they are supposed to be what should I do?: When I type the characters they are different than what they are supposed to be. If I type a question mark something else comes up. I had to guess which was which. I looked it up on the internet which told me to run a troubleshooter on the keyboard. I did but nothing wrong...
  4. If the characters, I type are different than what they are supposed to be what should I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. What should I do with incompatible drivers?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What should I do with incompatible drivers?: This appeared after I updated genshin impact on my pc. I already updated my windows but this issue is still yet to be resolved. Does this denote any problem within my device or the game itself?...
  6. What should I do with incompatible drivers?

What should I do with incompatible drivers?: This appeared after I updated genshin impact on my pc. I already updated my windows but this issue is still yet to be resolved. Does this denote any problem within my device or the game itself?...
  7. What should I do with this optional update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What should I do with this optional update: I have an optional update Western Digital Technologies - WDC-SAM 4.55.25.661 My Passport and I'm not really sure if I download & install it, if it will do something to the SSD on this MSI gf76 Katina laptop or will it automatically pick up the external HD and update the...
  8. What should I do with this optional update

What should I do with this optional update: I have an optional update Western Digital Technologies - WDC-SAM 4.55.25.661 My Passport and I'm not really sure if I download & install it, if it will do something to the SSD on this MSI gf76 Katina laptop or will it automatically pick up the external HD and update the...
  9. What do I do about the message "A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What do I do about the message "A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver...: What do I do about the message "A current driver on your PC may be better than the driver we're trying to install. We'll keep trying to install." Why would Microsoft "keep trying to install" an inferior driver? There is no reasonable action on my part suggested. I was...
  10. Bought the game key and its bad. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Bought the game key and its bad. What should I do?: Hello, so i bought a Sea of Theavs key, and when I trying to reedem it, it shows the error: "Contact who you got this code from. We can't redeem it." Tryed to contact someone via gmail or Microsoft store support, but it just connects me to the AI ( online support bot),...