Windows 10: A big mistake help

Discus and support A big mistake help in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I made a big mistake. my Dell crashed and my girlfriend used the warranty to have Dell fix it. In doing so they wiped my enter drive and all its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doncole, Jan 31, 2018.

1. doncole Win User

A big mistake help

I made a big mistake. my Dell crashed and my girlfriend used the warranty to have Dell fix it.
    In doing so they wiped my enter drive and all its partitions. Is there anyway I can get them back with forensic software or something?

By the way I made a Mac... boot disk. If I would have run that would it have erased all my partitions?

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Jan 31, 2018
  2. Daihermit Win User

Big mistake

Thank you so much will do.

Daihermit, Jan 31, 2018
  3. Daihermit Win User
    Big mistake

I messed up so much I am nearly in tears. I accidentally downloaded malware but before I could do a restore I updated windows to todays date. So can I reinstall windows 10 to get all that came with it. I love Windows 10 I upgraded from Windows 8.1 when
    I first got my laptop.

Daihermit, Jan 31, 2018
  4. dalchina New Member

A big mistake help

Short answer - no. If you were to pay some horrendous amount you might get something back, assuming it's a hard drive.

Good thing you have a backup disk - if that's what it is..?

This is also one reason we continually advocate disk imaging - relatively girlfriend-proof provided you keep the backup secure!

dalchina, Jan 31, 2018
  5. spunk Win User
    If you booted the computer with the Mac OSX disc, and tried to install it, it would have wiped all of your partitions and formatted the Drive for a Mac OS.
    As far as recovering, since the new Operating System was installed, it over wrote all of your previous data.
    You can try recovery software like the free TestDisk program, but I would assume you will not find anything.
    Remember to always have a current backup of your files on more then one drive or Cloud service.

spunk, Jan 31, 2018
  6. matfx Win User
    No, once your hard drive wiped out entirely you can't trace it back. If you have a backup copy that's better.

matfx, Jan 31, 2018
  7. spunk Win User
    Doing a Quick Format or deleting partitions does not totally remove the data, and the files could have been recovered. However, once you reinstall the OS, it overwrites the data and those files can no longer be recovered.
    In the future, if you computer won't boot, you can use a Windows or Linux boot disc to boot the computer and copy the files off of it to an external USB HDD before sending the computer in for warranty repair. Dell probably put in a different HDD in the computer anyways, so there is no data of yours left to recover.

spunk, Jan 31, 2018
  8. doncole Win User

A big mistake help

Thanks Every one for replying,

The usb I made I got off of this forum..
    MediaCreateTool64.exe

The name is ESB-USB.

It contains folders:
    boot
    efi
    sources
    support
    It contains 3.25 GBs..
    I think its boot only.
    I made it before the crash.
    I don't think it will work because they formatted everything.

I have an old computer that has the files in it but old.

I know, I know, I should have made a back usb for the files.

I had one but I messed it up just before the crash.

Don Cole

doncole, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

A big mistake help

1. A big mistake help - Similar Threads - big mistake help

2. i made a big mistake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    i made a big mistake: So, i installed windows 8 and thanks to windows 8 I am now stuck on the ethernet thing, and I don't think that windows 8 supports wireless when I click on connection it keeps on saying that no internet detected even though i have a Wi-Fi router in my mom's room Microsoft,...
  3. i made a big mistake

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    i made a big mistake: So, i installed windows 8 and thanks to windows 8 I am now stuck on the ethernet thing, and I don't think that windows 8 supports wireless when I click on connection it keeps on saying that no internet detected even though i have a Wi-Fi router in my mom's room Microsoft,...
  4. Deleted One Drive from This PC - Big mistake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Deleted One Drive from This PC - Big mistake: I wanted Windows 10 OneDrive to stop storing files. So I went to This PC and deleted OneDrive. That deleted myy Documents Folder but apparently nothing else pictures, videos, music from the PC. So I logged into OneDrive online and found files from my Document folder. I moved...
  5. Deleted One Drive from This PC - Big mistake

Deleted One Drive from This PC - Big mistake: I wanted Windows 10 OneDrive to stop storing files. So I went to This PC and deleted OneDrive. That deleted myy Documents Folder but apparently nothing else pictures, videos, music from the PC. So I logged into OneDrive online and found files from my Document folder. I moved...
  6. Deleted One Drive from This PC - Big mistake

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Help. Mistakes were made.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help. Mistakes were made.: (Sorry for bad formatting, I'm on mobile) My mother has two old laptops that were still running on Windows 8 and 8.1 Recently the computer she regularly uses for photo editing has been breaking down, so in a worst-case-scenario, sadly, she had to resort to using one of these...
  8. This is really funny! I cant believe such a mistake from a big company

This is really funny! I cant believe such a mistake from a big company: Sir/Ma'am The calculator app is not programmed correctly. It is showing wrong results eg: 1*5-2*2=4 correct answer 1*5-2*2=6 this is what windows calculator shows The multiplication or division should be done first, not the addition or subtraction. FIX THIS...
  9. I made a big mistake...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I made a big mistake...: A call from Wavene Infotech showed me 1,159 errors/attempted hacks and other "serious" breaches on my laptop / Window's 10. Sounding like a scam I hung up....he kept calling back. I eventually allowed him to show me a log illustrating all the incursions. Long story short I...
  10. Big mistake

in Windows 10 Customization
    Big mistake: I went into Personalise to change some settings and have as you can see picked something from Browse that has left me with a large grey bar at the top of the screen . Could someone please how I can get back to a normal screen? 119624