Windows 10: A black screen with the mouse cursor

Discus and support A black screen with the mouse cursor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I tried to press F8 frequently during the start up to enter the safe mode with cmd, but seems that windows ignores my pressings. i made a bootable... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Mergho, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Mergho Win User

A black screen with the mouse cursor

I tried to press F8 frequently during the start up to enter the safe mode with cmd, but seems that windows ignores my pressings. i made a bootable flash drive and wrote a command to enter the safe mode. but when it enters the windows, i can hear that welcoming tone of the windows, see a black screen with the mouse cursor and the loading circle beneath it. is there any way i can overcome this?

-I also tried repair & system restore via bootable win 10 usb

A black screen with the mouse cursor [​IMG]

A black screen with the mouse cursor [​IMG]

:)

Mergho, Jun 14, 2017

2. Screen turns black with the mouse cursor after login

Unfortunately nothing has worked. This kind of advice is already on the web and I had exhausted such fixes before asking the Microsoft community. This has been a huge waste of time - Ray

rayabrishami, Jun 14, 2017
  3. Screen turns black with the mouse cursor after login

Original Title: Win 10 upgarde from XP

Upgraded my Win 7 premium home eddition online to Win 10. The screen turns off/or turns dark soon after desktop comes on, but the computer is on and the mouse can be moved around. Rebooting and restarting essentially results the same. Please help - Ray

rayabrishami, Jun 14, 2017
  4. A black screen with the mouse cursor

Hi Mergho.

Lets start at the beginning. What happened? Did your machine crash, did you install something, were you just booting up?

Then what error message or symptoms did you see, please be as specific as possible.

F8 is no longer valid.

If you want to enter the Advance Startup either hold the shift key down and click restart or...

Windows is programmed to enter after two unsuccessful starts so;

Power your machine on, when you see the spinning dots hold power key down until device powers off. Power on, see the dots hold the power key down until it is off. Power on and it should enter the menu.

Here is the tutorial

Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

Plenty of Windows system have Restore points shut off. Should you be successful in getting it restarted please enable.

If you could post those answers it will help members help.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 14, 2017
  5. iDamn Win User
    Tried pressing "Ctrl + Shift + Esc"? if the Task Manager can appear during the black screen with mouse, then you can type "explorer.exe" in the File > Run New Task.

iDamn, Jun 14, 2017
  6. Mergho Win User
    The problem happened suddenly without installing anything. i remembered that i've encountered this problem before and chkdsk /f c: or /R c: has solved my problem. i tried doing that again but i got the following msg :failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

Mergho, Jun 15, 2017
  7. Mergho Win User
    nth happened :/

Mergho, Jun 15, 2017
  8. A black screen with the mouse cursor

Hi Mergho.

Sorry to hear that you've had this before and that you can't run chkdsk. I would be suspect of the disk even if you get back in.

Your first objective should be to get your data off the drive just to ensure it is safe. Do you have a recent backup?

Then could you run chkdsk withh all theses switches

chkdsk c: /r /f /v

If you are booting from media please ensure you Windows drive is drive C:

To confirm once you boot press shift + F10. This should take you to command prompt. Then enter these commands

diskpart
    list disk
    exit

The List disk should provide the info you need.

Once data is off and chkdsk run you could try enter the the Advance Startup Option and attempt a Reset this PC.

If that fails maybe Kyhi Recovery drive using Macrium will help.

Windows Boot issues

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 15, 2017
  9. Mergho Win User
    I have been trying to upload the screenshots along the past 24 hours, but there's a problem with my browser
    here's my onedrive link with the uploaded photos Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

unfortunately, i don't have a recent backup.. is there a way i can do that now through cmd?
    Is Kyhi Recovery drive using Macrium the same as Rufus?

Mergho, Jun 17, 2017
  10. Talvl Win User
    After your computer restarts several times, you should see Windows 10 Boot Options menu.

Select Troubleshoot > Advanced Options. > Command Prompt
    Type
    • bootrec.exe /rebuildbcd
    • bootrec.exe /fixmbr
    • bootrec.exe /fixboot
    • chkdsk /r c:
    • chkdsk /r d:

Restart your computer

Talvl, Jun 17, 2017
  11. Mergho Win User
    Problem still persists.
    Screenshots Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

Mergho, Jun 17, 2017
  12. Hi Mergho.

Lets go back to posting #6.

Please create a Kyhi's Recovery disk. This has nothing to do with Rufus.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk

Next run Macrium Reflect as suggested in the link in posting 6.

If that fails Kyhi's recovery disk gives you Windows Explorer and assuming your disk is okay you can copy your files out.

From there I would go with a clean install on a new disk. May even be an opportunity to get an SSD. You may want to do the clean install on your existing disk but as you have had to run chkdsk before I would not recommend it. As well by using new disk it allows you to come back to original if required, again assuming you can talk to disk.

Clean Install Windows 10

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jun 18, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

Let's see if one of these options works:
    1) The Kyhi recovery method above or
    2) reattempt to boot to the windows recovery or advanced troubleshooting menu by power on and as soon as you see the Microsoft Icon you poweroff. This is repeated either two or three times until you see "diagnosing your PC " with rotating dots. If this advances to the windows advanced troubleshooting menu then choose startup repair. If the start up repair fails choose reset with save files.
    3) If the on board windows recovery does not work create a bootable windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10
    Each computer manufacturer has a F key to boot to a device. Find out the F key for your computer. If it is a custom computer you may need to change the bios boot order so that you can boot to the USB flash drive.
    Once you are able to boot to the windows 10 iso you can attempt to repair windows. Let us know if you get to this setting and you can attempt a repair using the windows 10 iso or a registry repair.

zbook, Jun 18, 2017
  14. Mergho Win User
    Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

The blue screen appears after a minute and the laptop restarts

Mergho, Jun 24, 2017
  15. zbook New Member
    In post #1 the image displays two choices:
    shutdown
    advanced options

Can you get to this window again?
    If so choose advanced options > reset with save files

Did you create a bootable windows 10 iso?
    If you have not already created one please find a flash drive that you can format and create a Microsoft bootable windows 10 iso: Download Windows 10

zbook, Jun 25, 2017
Thema:

1. A black screen with the mouse cursor - Similar Threads - black screen mouse

2. black screen with mouse cursor again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    black screen with mouse cursor again: so i did 2 threads on this issue on 2 different windows installsevery few days my windows freezes after opening waking up from sleep mode on w11after checking event viewer i saw that "netwtw10" was absolutely spamming event viewer with errorsi will actually check for the...
  3. black screen with mouse cursor again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    black screen with mouse cursor again: so i did 2 threads on this issue on 2 different windows installsevery few days my windows freezes after opening waking up from sleep mode on w11after checking event viewer i saw that "netwtw10" was absolutely spamming event viewer with errorsi will actually check for the...
  4. stuck at black screen with mouse cursor

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    stuck at black screen with mouse cursor: I was stuck at a black screen similar to when a computer is waking from sleep and could only see my cursor for a long time.Further when I restarted I just got back to this black screen ctrl alt delete, win+ctrl+shift +B did nothing eventually the computer went back to normal...
  5. stuck at black screen with mouse cursor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    stuck at black screen with mouse cursor: I was stuck at a black screen similar to when a computer is waking from sleep and could only see my cursor for a long time.Further when I restarted I just got back to this black screen ctrl alt delete, win+ctrl+shift +B did nothing eventually the computer went back to normal...
  6. stuck at black screen with mouse cursor

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Black screen with only the cursor mouse

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen with only the cursor mouse: I had windows 10 on my computer but today I installed Windows 7 and the desktop crashed and didn't even load the icons, so I tried to start in safe mode and it got worse because now only a black screen appears with the mouse pointer after "starting windows" appears, help me...
  8. Black screen with mouse cursor before login

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Black screen with mouse cursor before login: I am having issues fixing black screen with white cursor that has come up before log in screen when laptop was turning on this is a new laptop, 5 days old i have windows 10 that came with it. No matter what combination I try I cannot get task manager to start. i have tried...
  9. black screen with mouse cursor

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    black screen with mouse cursor: how can I fix black screen with mouse cursor ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/black-screen-with-mouse-cursor/1bf545a7-be98-4c0f-b9b5-d3432942393e
  10. Black Screen with Mouse Cursor with continual repair loops

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Screen with Mouse Cursor with continual repair loops: Many users are also reporting the same, one thought is that the user profile has become corrupt & the solution is to create a new one within cmd prompt under task manager. From the black screen press ctrl alt del to open task manager -> file -> run new task type "cmd.exe"...