Windows 10: A confusion in file explorer menu nomenclature?

Discus and support A confusion in file explorer menu nomenclature? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, in the ribbon there are two instances of 'Type' when specifying search parameters. [img] The upper one is actually 'Kind' - the kind of file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by dalchina, Jan 30, 2018.

1. dalchina New Member

A confusion in file explorer menu nomenclature?

Hi, in the ribbon there are two instances of 'Type' when specifying search parameters.

A confusion in file explorer menu nomenclature? [​IMG]

The upper one is actually 'Kind' - the kind of file e.g. video, picture etc and is expressed as kind:= in the search field.

The lower is the file type, expressed as type: in the search field.

Is anyone confused?

I have a feeling this was quite different in 1703. Do you recall how that appeared?

:)

dalchina, Jan 30, 2018

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Jan 30, 2018
  3. telboy22 Win User
    Win 10 update

Thank you for your reply. There seems to be some confusion, I should have specified Internet Explorer in my original query, not Explorer. The error message appears if I select 'Update' from the File menu.

I have since found that it is easier to access update via 'Settings' and can ascertain what updates have been installed or failed.

telboy22, Jan 30, 2018
  4. lx07 Win User

I think you search with kind:=document or kind:=video (for multiple extensions) or alternatively type:=.exe or type:=.txt for a specific extension.

The top button puts kind:=whatever you chose in the search box while the bottom one simply puts type: in the search box and you have to manually type in "=.txt" or whatever extension you are looking for.

On 1709 I have "Kind" and "Type" separately not "Type" for both as you do. Perhaps because I use en-US and something was lost in translation to en-GB if you use that?

A confusion in file explorer menu nomenclature? [​IMG]

5. dalchina New Member
    Hi, that's interesting- so could be a language pack ..er.. mis- type.

I seem to recall it was Kind in 1703 for me..

dalchina, Jan 30, 2018
  6. Berton Win User
    I see the same Search choices in the latest RTM version, Kind at the top but clicking Other properties get the Type. And the choices are Dynamic, menu changes according to what the Search is in.

Berton, Jan 30, 2018
  7. lx07 Win User
    Need someone with en-GB to check it I guess.

Alternatively @dalchina could delete "C:\Windows\en-GB\explorer.exe.mui" and it should then default to en-US (I think that would work).

The word Kind is pretty much an exact synonym of Type. I guess Extension would be better than Type here (seeing a Type is short for File Type in this case) but Extension wouldn't fit in the UI as it has too many letters.

Must be quite hard writing a multi-lingual computer systems now I think of it, but as far as I know these 2 words don't have different meanings in UK and US English so a small mystery certainly *Smile

8. dalchina New Member

Not exactly earth shattering...! I've sent in a note via the feedback app on a language pack basis.

Just came across it when looking at something for someone.

English is great at words with similar but not quite identical words because of its mongrel linguistic history. Word pairs like sick/ill ... which can be used to mean the same- or something different.. Latin + Germanic + French.. and more..
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/interac...ex_embed.shtml

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. A confusion in file explorer menu nomenclature? - Similar Threads - confusion file explorer

2. Explorer Confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Explorer Confusion: I find File Explorer in Windows 11 very confusing and I have many questions but I'll start with this one and see if it helps.I'm used to only seeing one "Desktop" folder in windows and that resided on the c drive. Now, when I open explorer in Windows 11 I have 3 Desktop...
  3. Explorer Confusion

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Explorer Confusion: I find File Explorer in Windows 11 very confusing and I have many questions but I'll start with this one and see if it helps.I'm used to only seeing one "Desktop" folder in windows and that resided on the c drive. Now, when I open explorer in Windows 11 I have 3 Desktop...
  4. Windows 10 file explorer unit confusion

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 file explorer unit confusion: Windows 10 file explorer properties and such state that the file/folder sizes are in KB =1,000 bytes, MB =1,000 KB, GB =1,000 MB. As I understand KB = kilobytes, MB = megabytes and GB = gigabytesWhen converting from bytes into either 3 units, the number comes out different...
  5. Windows 10 file explorer unit confusion

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 file explorer unit confusion: Windows 10 file explorer properties and such state that the file/folder sizes are in KB =1,000 bytes, MB =1,000 KB, GB =1,000 MB. As I understand KB = kilobytes, MB = megabytes and GB = gigabytesWhen converting from bytes into either 3 units, the number comes out different...
  6. Windows 10 file explorer unit confusion

7. File Explorer menu missing

File Explorer menu missing: I am running Windows 11 Home, version 21H2 with 2021-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 11 for x64-based Systems KB5007262. My problem is that File Explorer does not display a menu bar and none of the solutions posted in the Microsoft Community fix the problem.Here is a screen...
  8. File Explorer is confusing

in Windows 10 Customization
    File Explorer is confusing: Somewhat new to Windows, after having used a Mac for several years. I find the layout in the File Explorer very confusing. It shows Quick Access, I see two separate Desktop listings (contents not the same), OneDrive, This PC, Libraries, My User Name. Why are there two...
  9. File Nomenclature ?

in Windows 10 Support
    File Nomenclature ?: Hello, I have some quite old files that I haven't looked at for quite a while, but would possibly like to use them again. As i remember, these were.csv files. Radio frequency listings. But, looking at them now, they appear as, e.g., " Maritime.txt.zycizhj Type ECC " What...
  10. blue File menu on File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    blue File menu on File Explorer: The File menu on Explorer has some useful shortcuts [img] If you select / highlight a folder in File Explorer and and then pick Open Command Prompt, then the Current Directory (CD) in Cmd is the folder selected in file Explorer. You don't have to change directories in...