Windows 10: A couple of programs no longer work in Latest Win 10

Discus and support A couple of programs no longer work in Latest Win 10 in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Since I updated my Windows 10 installation to version 1703 (OS Build 15063.296), two programs which I used frequently no longer work. JRuler Pro,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Syncopator, May 16, 2017.

1. A couple of programs no longer work in Latest Win 10

Since I updated my Windows 10 installation to version 1703 (OS Build 15063.296), two programs which I used frequently no longer work.

JRuler Pro, from JR Screen Ruler Pro - Transparent, Rotation Supported, doesn't appear when I click on its original exe file.

I downloaded again and tried a new installation of it. The installation procedure progresses normally.

The "Create a desktop icon" box is checked. On the last screen, I check "Launch Ruler". Once the screen closes I see the blue circle chasing its own tail for a second or two next to the cursor. Then no icon, no ruler.

I've tried installing again using the Troubleshoot Compatibility facility, but that doesn't help. I have sent a message to Spadix asking for help, but they haven't replied.

The other program is the PPM meter ME 12 from Audio Level Meter

After running the installer, a windows saying "List index out of bounds (0)" appears and gives an OK button. Clicking on that makes it disappear, the Basic meter is displayed, but it doesn't have its two needles.

I've tried installing as administrator and I've tried the Compatibility route too, neither of which have worked.

I also asked for help from Paul Marshall, the PPM meter designer, through two email addresses, neither of which has yet elicited a response.

Does anyone know how I can get these two programs to work?

:)

Syncopator, May 16, 2017

2. Windows 10 upgrade/update nags

Hi - my laptop came with Windows 10 Home Premium. I've used it without problems for a couple years, but recently I am getting constant and severe nags to update to the latest version of Windows 10. These nags are 'constantly interrupting my work'. They
    are authentic MS nags. The problem is... I run old versions of a couple programs that prevent the updates from completing, and these are old programs that I simply "can not" replace. I MUST continue to run these programs that run fine on Win 10 as is. My
    question: since it's impossible to complete the Win 10 updates with these programs installed... is there ANY way to disable all the nags??? If not, I will be forced to revert back to Win 7 with a fresh install. Thanks for any answers!

DonDraper1, May 16, 2017
  3. KenLyle Win User
    With Each major Win 10 and Win 7 update Homegroups are killed? Help?

Usually, each time another Win 10 and Win 7 updates arrives, I have to "re-establish" the Homegroups so I can have printer sharing from the Windows 10 computer.

Now with the latest set of Win 10 Updates (about December 10th) and then followed by Win 7 updates (about December 12th); network sharing no longer works? And I can not longer share the Windows 10 printers or anything else?

With the latest set of updates, I can no longer get it to work? I have even "recovered" to an earlier date on the Windows 7 computer; still a no go?

Any ideas of what is so messed up or just another Microsoft Bug?

Help Please.

KenLyle, May 16, 2017
  4. Steve C Win User

A couple of programs no longer work in Latest Win 10

Right click the .exe file and experiment with the compatibility options.

Steve C, May 17, 2017
  5. I mentioned in my post that I had tried the compatibility settings, (all of them, back to XP, without success).

Syncopator, May 17, 2017
  6. Sheltieuk Win User
    This is strange I've just downloaded a trial of the pro version and it runs ok on my Windows 10 machine as does the free version, looks like something could be blocking it on your machine, AV software perhaps?

Sheltieuk, May 17, 2017
  7. Perhaps, but thanks for the suggestion. I will try disabling them a bit later - rather busy now.

Usually though, if any of the AV programs get excited about something they cough up a warning,

Syncopator, May 17, 2017
  8. A couple of programs no longer work in Latest Win 10

At present I'm using Bitdefender and Malwarebytes. I can disable the latter, but not the former.

I did try with just the one disabled but still couldn't get either of those programs to work.

I asked on the Bitdefender forum how to disable it. Instructions were given but they didn't work. Bitdefender still ran.

I reported this on the forum and await a response. If it continues to be difficult to disable I will probably uninstall it and ask for a refund.

If I don't get a reply which lets me disable it after a while this evening, I will uninstall it anyway.

Syncopator, May 17, 2017
  9. TairikuOkami, May 17, 2017
  10. That may well be, but I'm afraid that I don't understand anything in that link. But thank you for trying to help.

As a matter of possible interest, I Googled for "How to disable Bitdefender" and came across dozens of leads to similar cases.

It seems that many (most?) users of the latest iteration of Bitdefender are dissatisfied with the inability to temporarily disable it.

I am not prepared to cross swords with recalcitrant software so it has been uninstalled and I have asked, via PayPal, the selling agent, Avangate, for a full refund.

Whatever the outcome of that, Bitdefender will never again be welcome on my computer.

Syncopator, May 17, 2017
  11. I uninstalled one of my AV programs, and disabled the other. I still can't get either of the two programs to run.

By the way, which of the two did you download and run? And what version of Windows 10 is yours?

Syncopator, May 18, 2017
  12. Sheltieuk Win User
    I downloaded and tried both the Pro version and the free version, my Windows version is 1703, build 15063.296.

Sheltieuk, May 18, 2017
  13. A couple of programs no longer work in Latest Win 10

Good morning.

I meant which of the two programs, JRuler Pro or PPM, but that is surely academic.

I've had a response from Paul Marshall. He's busy but will look into the matter next week.

Syncopator, May 18, 2017
  14. Sheltieuk Win User
    I was referring to the 2 versions of Jruler, I've just downloaded and tried PPM and I get the same error as you.

Sheltieuk, May 18, 2017
  15. Oh, that suggests more than one problem in the operating system. A pity that I can't revert to the previous version.

Syncopator, May 18, 2017
Thema:

A couple of programs no longer work in Latest Win 10

1. A couple of programs no longer work in Latest Win 10 - Similar Threads - couple programs longer

2. Windows 10 Latest Update - Sound driver no longer working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Latest Update - Sound driver no longer working: I’ve recently done a full reset on my Toshiba Satellite C50D-A-13B and installed the latest version of windows 10 (Version 2004 10.0.19041 build 19041) and as a result my sound driver is no longer working. I’ve tried installing several sound drivers now but to no avail. The...
  3. Win 10 notepad no longer works?

Win 10 notepad no longer works?: Hi folks, I have the latest iteration of Windows 10 64bit. Around a week ago my notepad just stopped working, I click on it and it opens and the first thing I notice is the cursor doesn't move I click into it and the top right corner of the notepad over the buttons goes...
  4. FPS programs no longer working in Win 10, not xgamebar related.

FPS programs no longer working in Win 10, not xgamebar related.: I'm new to win 10 and used FRAPS for years but it doesn't work with dx12 games. So after getting a few suggestions from the forums I tried Bandicam first. It was working fine and for about a week. I thought maybe there was a trail period but I was only using FPS counter. I...
  5. Game no longer working correctly on Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game no longer working correctly on Win 10: I hope someone can help. Myself and a few other gamers who have upgraded Machines to Win10 that were previously Win7 and Win8.1 are now suffering a conflict when submitting records to the game server. The game is Fishsim2 from 2000 very old game but has worked on all...
  6. Old program work on Win 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Old program work on Win 10?: Hi all, I have an old invoice form filling software that has been working for many years, the latest being Win 7. I had to upgrade to Win 10 and the program will not install. Is there anything I can do to make this program work on Win 10? If you need more info to answer,...
  7. Latest Win 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Latest Win 10: Compared with theWin 10 on my domestic computer, this one is areally fussy beggar. If any attempt is made toCustomise folder colours [even if they can be], Windowsgoes off into a sulk - User screen, little swirly cursor, "Please Wait". Sometimes the Wait Time is too great and...
  8. Emoji Picker ( Win+. or Win+; ) No Longer Works

in Windows 10 Support
    Emoji Picker ( Win+. or Win+; ) No Longer Works: After the latest big update from Windows, I noticed that my Emoji Picker Window (the window that you can pull up when pressing the Windows key + the period or semicolon key) no longer comes up. I tried searching online to why this doesn't work, and how to fix it, etc, yet...
  9. Programs won't open, did work for a couple of days

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Programs won't open, did work for a couple of days: I installed Windows 10 a few days ago and it was working fine. As far as I remember, the only thing I tinkered with today were mouse settings (tails, click speed, etc). Now I have the following problems: 1) Most/all of it is related starting up programs Left click on...
  10. latest win 10 updates affected startup programs

in Windows 10 Support
    latest win 10 updates affected startup programs: on 16/17th this month got a few windows updates, since then some of my startup items have become eratic, also i now have 3 startup folders [img] any help sorting this out, cheers 80130