Windows 10: A couple of questions - If I do new download/installtion of Win 10...

Discus and support A couple of questions - If I do new download/installtion of Win 10... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Guys, I've been (fairly) happily running Windows 10 since early August, but was thinking of doing a clean install... So I have a couple of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mingle, Dec 5, 2015.

1. mingle Win User

A couple of questions - If I do new download/installtion of Win 10...

Hi Guys, I've been (fairly) happily running Windows 10 since early August, but was thinking of doing a clean install...

So I have a couple of questions:

1: If I go to the Microsoft website and download the media creation tool and make a new ISO, will it be the latest version (with all current patches) that I install?

2: Do I still have to go through the saga of upgrading my Windows 8.1 install, then doing a clean install to end up with a nice, registered, activated Windows 10 installation?

Cheers,

Mike.

:)

mingle, Dec 5, 2015

2. A couple of questions I have about Win 10

Hi Tanamir,

Thank you for posting your response.

Addressing your concern, it is true that Windows will not let you choose or block the regular update for your drivers. But as I have mentioned you can Defer updates which will allow you to block updates for a period of time.

Coming to the other issue, I would suggest that you post your Feedback in our feedback site so that our developers can enhance the Windows 10 features.

Hope this helps.

Vanessa Sohtun, Dec 5, 2015
  3. Tanamir Win User
    A couple of questions I have about Win 10

So there are a lot of features in Win 10 that I am "uncomfortable" with and before I decide whether to reinstall Win 10 hinges on the answers to a few questions:

1) I found that the new version of Windows Update didn't allow me to pick and choose which updates I took for my machine unlike previous versions where I could tell the OS to just get updates for Windows products, for example. This version wanted to cram
    updates into the computer that I DID NOT want the OS doing. Where is my option to regain control of the updates I put into MY machine through Windows Update?

2) How many people besides myself were more than a little irritated that the new Microsoft Account feature AUTOMATICALLY signs you into ALL of your accounts, whether you wanted to or not? How could I change that ABSURD behaviour by the program?

3) I am not really fond of the new Start Page. Flipping all of that garbage out of the way just to get to a screen I can deal with ( my wallpaper, a few icons and my task bar.) is a waste of resources. Can I get Win 10 to act at startup more like Win 7?
    I never ran Win 8 because I hated that Splash screen...

4) OK, Microsoft should do a comprehensive survey of the people who use their operating systems on exactly how many of those people use Microsoft's browser ( Now, or in previous iterations of the software. ) I don't use IE... I just never liked it. There
    are BETTER browsers on the internet, so my question is... How come I can't just get Win 10 without "The Edge" and, for that matter, Cortana. If I can't get a stripped down version of Win 10 ( just the core power features of the OS, none of the fluff....) then
    how do I stop stuff like Cortana from running? Can it be shut off?

5) How do I get Microsoft to stop pestering me to upgrade to Windows 10..... ANYONE????

Tanamir, Dec 5, 2015
  4. Steve C Win User

1. You should get the latest build 1511 released about 3 weeks ago. Windows Update will then upgrade to the latest build.

2. I was advised on this forum that if you have a Windows key in our BIOS then a clean install will automatically use this and activate. I think you can also use a valid Windows 8.1 retail key?

Steve C, Dec 5, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Since you already have Windows 10 installed, you have a digital entitlement stored on Microsoft activation servers. If you clean install the same version of Windows 10 on the same computer, if it asks you for a product key you can click on "skip", "I don't have a product key" or "do this later" and Windows 10 will activate itself based on the digital entitlement stored on Microsoft activation servers.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. A couple of questions - If I do new download/installtion of Win 10... - Similar Threads - couple questions download

2. couple of questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    couple of questions: hi again microsoft i have a couple of SVChosts.exe running in my taskmanager now my first question is this, is svchost.exe a virus, malware or a worm? what is dashost.exe should i remove or disable svchost.exe would it be dangerous to do so?what is MaskVPN could you please...
  3. A couple of questions

in Windows 10 Support
    A couple of questions: Q #1. Can cookies be manually added to Google Chrome Browser? I recently purchased a new computer. I backed up my cookies and passwords and added them into the new machine. What I didn't realize that I had to "Turn on Cookies" so websites could recognize my usernames and...
  4. installtion

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    installtion: in microsoft store,i am trying to download new windows notepad.but is not meet system requirements.it requires build os 19541.0 but my pc has version19041. so,can any one tell me which version is 19541 and when i can get this update....
  5. Couple questions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Couple questions: Recently built my PC.... dream build. So happy. Got a few questions though. Ryzen 5 3600 (overclocked to 4300Mhz) B450 tomahawk max Gigabyte 8Gb 2070 super 16gb Corsair ddr4-3600 128? Gb ssd 1) when I boot it, I turn on my two monitors. Most of the time they go to sleep...
  6. a new question about win 10

in Windows 10 Support
    a new question about win 10: The Dell laptop that I have doesn't have a LED that blinks when the internal HD is working. So I found a small program that sites on the desktop and runs in the background and blinks when the HD is working. But the prog didn't come with an installer. I have a copy of the prog...
  7. A couple of threee questions

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    A couple of threee questions: The partition can be created any where, not necessarily at the end but easier just to shrink the partition at the end. Depend on if your Windows is installed using GPT or MBR disk type. If MBR, you must set this partition to Active then you would not be able to boot Windows...
  8. Couple questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Couple questions: First of all does anyone know a simple way to deny permissions to an unknown user in the registry? S-1-15-3-1024-1065365936-1281604716-3511738428-1654721687-432734479-3232135806-4053264122-3456934681 this unknown user has read permissions all through out the registry - I...
  9. Couple Enterprise questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Couple Enterprise questions: 2 PCs...1 W10 Pro, the other W10 Enterprise. W10 Pro is on an inferior old laptop and is functioning as intended. W10 Enterprise is on a bigger better desktop and there are two issues at the moment: 1) it is slower than Pro on the older laptop. 2) Edge is installed and...
  10. couple questions from a win 10 noob

in Windows 10 Support
    couple questions from a win 10 noob: couple questions from a win 10 noob, 1:Back in the day you could right click and pin to your desktop,Now how do I pin a webpage/site to your desktop?I tried right clicking and it pins to the tabs but not the desktop.I want to be able to access my dashboard without having to...