Windows 10: A couple of questions

Discus and support A couple of questions in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Q #1. Can cookies be manually added to Google Chrome Browser? I recently purchased a new computer. I backed up my cookies and passwords and added them... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jcloversX, May 19, 2021.

1. jcloversX Win User

A couple of questions

Q #1. Can cookies be manually added to Google Chrome Browser? I recently purchased a new computer. I backed up my cookies and passwords and added them into the new machine. What I didn't realize that I had to "Turn on Cookies" so websites could recognize my usernames and passwords. Things have worked out for my bill paying sites but some forums I used to access on my older computer will not let me log-in. I know the passwords and usernames are correct because I copied the excel spreadsheet that had all the passwords and usernames. I finally had to re-register on one forum but still having problems with another forum. I just looked at the cookies for that forum and they are not correct . So my username and password is not acknowledged. Unfortunately that forum will not allowing any new users to register because some JA spambots were registering an causing havoc on the forum. I have a fully registered paid for software that I use as a newsreader and download manager for Usenet newsgroups. Occasionally I run into problem using the software and having access to the developers is very important. Q # 2. When an app is "free" in the Microsoft Store what vulnerabilities can I expect?

:)

jcloversX, May 19, 2021
  2. JKarch Win User

A Couple Questions About Partitions

Hello, it's been a couple days. So I decided to get back at the effort of resolving this, but I'm so confused on how to perform the steps you have listed above even though the list looks pretty simple and self-explanatory. Is it possible to go a little bit more in depth and explain it like you're talking to someone who has no experience doing something like this? That would be greatly appreciated.

JKarch, May 19, 2021
  3. simrick Win User
    A Couple Questions About Partitions

Hi. Yes, sure, no problem.

So, what we need to do is properly install W10 onto your SSD, so that Windows ONLY needs the SSD to boot, and get rid of all unnecessary partitions.

So, step #1: go to Kyhi's recovery media thread and download the 64-bit W10586PESEx64 ISO.
    Decide how you are going to use it - will you boot your system to a disk, or boot to USB flash drive? Either burn the ISO to a DVD, or right-click it, select MOUNT and then copy all the files to a flash drive.

Step #2: Download and install Macrium Reflect Free. Create an IMAGE of your C partition from your SSD onto your data drive. Be sure to select VERIFY in the options. Grab an ISO of Windows 10 from MS. Create a DVD or Flash drive which you will eventually use to clean install Windows 10. Then shut your computer down.

Step #3: Disconnect your Data drive, leaving only your SSD connected.

Step #4: Boot into the Windows 10 media you made from MS and clean install Windows 10, keeping nothing - no files, no programs. Using the custom install selection, you can nuke all partitions before the install. This will create the necessary partitions cleanly. The drive needs to be "un-allocated" when you begin the clean install of W10.

From the tutorial in our forum:
    A couple of questions [​IMG]

Step #5: Shut down after W10 is clean installed.

Step #6: Re-connect your data disk.

Step #7 Boot the computer into Kyhi's recovery media

Step #8: Open Macrium Reflect (on the recovery media), in the restore tab, navigate to your C partition image on the data drive, and drag it over to the C partition on the SSD. Perform the recovery and your OS will be as it was, with all partitions cleanly in place as they should be.

Your system will then boot from the SSD only and all unnecessary partitions will be gone. Does that make sense? A couple of questions :)

EDIT: If you need screenshots to help visualize things, just let us know.

simrick, May 19, 2021
  4. A couple of questions

N8 - A couple of niggling questions...

On the whole I think it's a fantastic piece of kit, but I have a couple of questions:

In the Contacts menu is it possible to either remove the 'Add to favourites' button or send it down to the bottom of the list?

When viewing individual contacts is it possible to remove the 'Social networks' button? I won't be using my phone for Facebook, so this is unnecessary. :smileytongue:

SatansArse, May 19, 2021
Thema:

A couple of questions

1. A couple of questions - Similar Threads - couple questions

2. a couple file management questions

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    a couple file management questions: Hi all, I have two questions about file management. 1. I notice when I examine my documents folder in file explorer that a blank status column appears. Is there a way to get rid of this? This is my local folder, not One Drive. 2. I notice that when modifying files stored in...
  3. a couple file management questions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    a couple file management questions: Hi all, I have two questions about file management. 1. I notice when I examine my documents folder in file explorer that a blank status column appears. Is there a way to get rid of this? This is my local folder, not One Drive. 2. I notice that when modifying files stored in...
  4. a couple file management questions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. couple of questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    couple of questions: hi again microsoft i have a couple of SVChosts.exe running in my taskmanager now my first question is this, is svchost.exe a virus, malware or a worm? what is dashost.exe should i remove or disable svchost.exe would it be dangerous to do so?what is MaskVPN could you please...
  6. Fitted SSD, a couple of questions.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fitted SSD, a couple of questions.: I've fitted an SSD to a PC, cloned Windows over to it, but it won't boot. The old HHD is still in the PC, working fine with Windows 10. The PC is made by Asus. I can't be exactly sure what was supplied with the PC but I do have a piece of paper which came with is that is...
  7. A couple of questions about Edge Chromium

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A couple of questions about Edge Chromium: Does anyone know if it is possible to keep a site muted after the browser gets restarted? When I use Win+Tab I can see pages I've had open/history in Edge on my iPhone, but I don't see any pages I've had open on my actual computer. Does anyone know how to get them to show?...
  8. Windows Security - Couple Of Questions

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Security - Couple Of Questions: Hello to all. I've just emigrated from the 7 forum. Didn't really want to change, but circumstances dictated. Anyway, I'm sure I'll be fine with 10 when I get my head around it. Got the classic shell so breaking myself in gently. Anyway, my friend replaced my HD with a new...
  9. Couple of questions on NASs please

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Couple of questions on NASs please: For the longest time I have thought of adding a NAS to my desktop computer. I've been looking at Synology and Qnap. While researching one article stated that using a NAS protected the user from ransomware is that possible? I would have thought that the ransomware would have...
  10. Planning to upgrade my laptop to windows 10, a couple questions since its an old laptop.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Planning to upgrade my laptop to windows 10, a couple questions since its an old laptop.: So my laptop is 7 years old and i wanna upgrade it to windows 10. I looked at the system requirements and it looks like my computer can more than handle it. Have there been any cases of computers meeting the requirements but not being compatible with windows 10? submitted by...