Windows 10: "A disk read error has occurred" on Windows 10 Startup and unable to troubleshoot

Discus and support "A disk read error has occurred" on Windows 10 Startup and unable to troubleshoot in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, I have a Toshiba laptop that has been working OK, but now wont bootup. Before any Windows 10 logo appears I get the messages "A disk read error... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MontyMole72, May 10, 2020.

1. "A disk read error has occurred" on Windows 10 Startup and unable to troubleshoot

Hi,

I have a Toshiba laptop that has been working OK, but now wont bootup. Before any Windows 10 logo appears I get the messages "A disk read error has occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart".

I was going to try and repair using a Windows 10 installation USB. I have used the media creation tool on another laptop to create one. The broken laptop will boot to USB and I get the Microsoft logo but after a few seconds the screen just goes blank and nothing else happens.

Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Thanks

Gareth

:)

MontyMole72, May 10, 2020
  2. Tommygunn Win User

Startup gives a disk read error.

This is a problem my Mom is having with her computer, so this might be slightly vague.
    Until today she was having no problems. However, today she turned the computer on,
    got the startup blurb, it went to the Windows loading screen but decided to just stay
    on that screen with the Windows loading bar just continuing on its merry way.

She decided to restart the computer, the startup screen came up but then it apparently
    went to blue screen of death. She pressed whatever key it was and it went to another
    screen that said, 'Disk read error - press Ctrl, Alt, Delete to restart'.

Now since I been speaking to her it just goes straight to the disk read error screen
    after the startup screen, no Windows loading, nothing.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Tommygunn, May 10, 2020
  3. u2konline Win User
    "A Disk Read Error Occurred"

I tried to install windows 2000, and after i do a format, and after it copies the files, it says the computer must be restarted, but after it restarts, i get a message that says:

"A Disk Read Error Occurred"

Do i have to hit f6 and install something?
    i do have SATA.

u2konline, May 10, 2020
  4. "A disk read error has occurred" on Windows 10 Startup and unable to troubleshoot

disk read error occurred

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft community. I regret the inconvenience caused to you. Let me help you.

I understand that you get “A disk read error occurred” error message in windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the below Methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

“A disk read error occurred” is a hardware error pertaining to your system’s BIOS. Basically this error indicates that the computer is not able to reliably communicate with the hard disk. This issue may appear if the following events.

• Disk file system changed (For ex. From FAT32 to NTFS)

• Incorrect Boot Order Priority in BIOS

• CMOS settings for hard disk is incorrect

• BIOS mode changed (From UEFI to Legacy)
    I would suggest you to disconnect all the external devices (printers, scanner, USB
    (universal serial bus) drives, etc) except mouse and the keyboard and then boot up to check the issue.

You may check if the hard drive is set a first or second boot device in BIOS.

Note: Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly.
    Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Method 2:

If the issue still persist, I suggest you to try automatic repairing the Windows and check if it helps. I suggest you to download the Windows 10 ISO and create a Media Creation tool and then perform Automatic Repair. Refer to the following link:

Download Windows 10

(Refer to the section "Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool” in the above article for creating the tool).

Once you have the installation media, follow the steps:

1) Start your computer from the installation media. Insert the disk or USB stick and restart your computer. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD,” do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to change the
    boot order in your computer's BIOS settings so that it first starts from the disk or USB. When you see the 'Install Windows' page, tap or click 'Repair your computer' link to start the Windows Recovery Environment.

2) In the Windows Recovery Environment, on the Choose an option screen, click 'Troubleshoot'.

3) Click, Advanced Options and then click on 'Automatic Repair'.

4) After this complete the repair and see if you are able to boot in to your computer.

For more information, kindly refer to the below given article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

Rajeshwari_Patil, May 10, 2020
Thema:

"A disk read error has occurred" on Windows 10 Startup and unable to troubleshoot

1. "A disk read error has occurred" on Windows 10 Startup and unable to troubleshoot - Similar Threads - disk read error

2. A disk read error occurred

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    A disk read error occurred: I facing this problem what should I do now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-disk-read-error-occurred/62d09316-a241-4f1c-bb49-672ca8df9690
  3. A disk read error occurred

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A disk read error occurred: I facing this problem what should I do now? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-disk-read-error-occurred/62d09316-a241-4f1c-bb49-672ca8df9690
  4. Windows 10 Disk Read Error Occured

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 Disk Read Error Occured: Hey, I am facing this issue since months and not having a perfect solution to it.Whenever I start my PC, it shows me, "A disk read error occured Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". And even after doing this, my PC shows the same.Can anyone please help me with this?...
  5. Windows 10 Disk Read Error Occured

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Disk Read Error Occured: Hey, I am facing this issue since months and not having a perfect solution to it.Whenever I start my PC, it shows me, "A disk read error occured Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". And even after doing this, my PC shows the same.Can anyone please help me with this?...
  6. Windows 10 Disk Read Error Occured

7. Disk drive read error has occurred

Disk drive read error has occurred: This happened after I used a software known as aomei to merge an unallocated space to my c drive due to extreme storage issues where I had no space at all anybody could know how to fix this? I tried resetting bios and checking boot order but neither work so can someone who...
  8. Disk drive read error has occurred

Disk drive read error has occurred: This happened after I used a software known as aomei to merge an unallocated space to my c drive due to extreme storage issues where I had no space at all anybody could know how to fix this? I tried resetting bios and checking boot order but neither work so can someone who...
  9. Disk drive read error has occurred

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Windows 10 "A Disk read error has occured" Message

Windows 10 "A Disk read error has occured" Message: Hi, I dropped my windows 10 laptop accidentally on carpet and when I picked it up, the screen froze and I shut it down. I did not check on the laptop for a few days but when I turned it on, it showed the manufacturers logo then said "A disk read error has occurred, press...