Windows 10: A DNS setting for each SSID

Discus and support A DNS setting for each SSID in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I need to assign different IP settings to different wireless networks. More specifically, I want to assign specific DNS servers to different SSIDs.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Mr. Jim Green, Oct 16, 2018.

1. A DNS setting for each SSID

I need to assign different IP settings to different wireless networks. More specifically, I want to assign specific DNS servers to different SSIDs.

One of the networks I connect to regularly is a work network, and the network is giving specific DNS servers that are not working properly. So I need to set them to specific different DNS servers on the work network's private IP space.

The only place I can find to do this is in adapter settings, IPv4 setting. When I change it there, the change sticks for all WiFi networks. But of course the private IP DNS servers aren't reachable on other networks (home, hotel, etc.).

Is it possible to set the DNS server setting to different settings for different SSIDs?

Thanks in advance for weighing in with your expertise.

- Jim

:)

Mr. Jim Green, Oct 16, 2018

2. DNS problems with router

A couple suggestions I have for you:

Update the firmware on the router. Maybe it's getting into a badstate, and a firmware update might fix it. Or if you're comfortable with it, install a custom firmware like dd-wrt. Just make sure its supported on your router first.

Change your DNS to: 8.8.8.8, 4.2.2.1. Might help.

If none of these work, maybe statically set your DNS on your PS3/PC to the IPs you listed, taking the router out of the lookup procedure.

Last option, is look for a new router.

Hybrid_theory, Oct 17, 2018
  3. Windows 10 DNS leak

No, went with a different 3rd party suggestion. Works better. I'm reliant on others for my tech needs that way.

the54thvoid, Oct 17, 2018
  4. A DNS setting for each SSID

dns probe finished no internet

Hi Oxide,

After some trial-and-error testing of all suggested fixes, which I found over the internet, here’re what worked for me to solve "DNS Probe Finished No Internet" issue and might work for you as well.

Method 1: Change Default DNS Address to Open DNS

Here all you have to do is change your default automatically obtained DNS server addresses to open DNS or Google DNS. To do this, follow below mentioned steps:

Step 1:
    Right click on Network icon located in Windows Task Bar Menu.

Step 2:
    Click on ‘Open Network and Sharing Center.’

A DNS setting for each SSID [​IMG]

Step 3:
    Click on Local Area Connection with whom who are presently connected and click onProperties.

Step 4:
    Select ‘Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)’ and click on Properties.

Step 5:
    Now in newly opened windows, select the radio button that reads ‘Use the following DNS server address:’

Step 6:
    Now in the ‘Preferred DNS Server’ box type in 208.67.222.222 and in ‘Alternate DNS Server’ type in 208.67.220.220.

Step 7:
    Now check the box that says ‘Validate settings upon exit’ and then click on OK. That’s it.

A DNS setting for each SSID [​IMG]

TechieNikhil, Oct 17, 2018
Thema:

A DNS setting for each SSID

1. A DNS setting for each SSID - Similar Threads - DNS setting each

2. Disable editing DNS settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Disable editing DNS settings: Hello,Is there any way to grey-out disable this button? in other words, disabling DNS editing.I need it to prevent trespassing the family filter.Screenshot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-editing-dns-settings/a8adbedc-f6b9-4fd8-9440-76f5d0bb1d74
  3. Disable editing DNS settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Disable editing DNS settings: Hello,Is there any way to grey-out disable this button? in other words, disabling DNS editing.I need it to prevent trespassing the family filter.Screenshot https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disable-editing-dns-settings/a8adbedc-f6b9-4fd8-9440-76f5d0bb1d74
  4. Is SSID = passcode for internet setting?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is SSID = passcode for internet setting?: Is SSID = passcode for internet Setting? My WI-Fi won't connect to my printer. I might have the wrong passcode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-ssid-passcode-for-internet-setting/8bdbe715-7cca-43f5-9c0c-d3d0a1bcd59b
  5. Is SSID = passcode for internet setting?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is SSID = passcode for internet setting?: Is SSID = passcode for internet Setting? My WI-Fi won't connect to my printer. I might have the wrong passcode. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-ssid-passcode-for-internet-setting/8bdbe715-7cca-43f5-9c0c-d3d0a1bcd59b
  6. SSID not displaying

in Windows 10 Gaming
    SSID not displaying: Hi Can't figure this out.. I have two laptops sitting side by side, one displays my home wifi SSID, and one doesn't. Both are running Windows 7-Pro. All the settings that I can find are set the same and I even manually entered the wifi address, but it just won't show up. All...
  7. DNS settings?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS settings?: All of a sudden, I'm having problems with my wifi dropping. It's not the router. The all of of this stops for days and then starts again. When I run the MS diagnostics it tells me to check my DNS serttings, etc. When i use search, it is periodicaly telling me ethat...
  8. DNS Settings

DNS Settings: Hello I was looking for different ways to help speed up my slow ADSL connection. I learned that changing your DNS settings to use a different provider is something that you could actually do for free So I did a search in google for the fastest DNS servers in Australia and I...
  9. HELP!!! IP Settings is missing in SSID

HELP!!! IP Settings is missing in SSID: Hi folks, This is my first post in tenforms. I have a question about Windows 10 wifi feature. As you know, in win10 each SSID can set different IP settings. Not network adapter setting. But, I have a problem with one of my friend win 10 PC. In this win10 pc, IP settings...
  10. Cant change DNS settings

Cant change DNS settings: Trying to add a new DNS IP address. Go to the adapter, go to the IPV4 properties and advanced and add the new DNS IP address. Every thing is fine until I close the adaptor window and it pops up an error "an unexpected condition occurred, not all of your requested changes in...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows 10 dns for ssid

2. windows wife ssid specified dns

3. ssid specific dns settings

4. windows change dns by ssid,
  5. windows 10 manual dns configuration over ssid,
  6. windows change dns wifi ssid,
  7. how to use dd-wrt to apply specific dns to one ssid,
  8. set dns specific ssid,
  9. windows configure dns setting for different ssid