Windows 10: A downside to creating restore points?

Discus and support A downside to creating restore points? in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I'm puzzled by Microsoft's decision to have System Protection off by default in Win10. Is there a downside to creating Restore Points (other than the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by pokeefe0001, Nov 15, 2015.

1. A downside to creating restore points?

I'm puzzled by Microsoft's decision to have System Protection off by default in Win10. Is there a downside to creating Restore Points (other than the disk space needed)?

:)

pokeefe0001, Nov 15, 2015
  2. JimWynne Win User

Is there any downside or problem with enabling System Restore in Windows 10?

If it's not turned on, you should turn it on. There is no downside unless you're
    very short of disk space. A restore point should be created automatically when you do the driver installation, but you can create one anyway just to be sure.

JimWynne, Nov 15, 2015
  3. How to manually backup and restore your files

As well as the file level backup described in this article (the only way to backup all the data and then selectively restore) I also create an image of the system disk (note, this is the entire drive, not just the OS partition) just in case the system gets
    really, totally, trashed!

The downside is, of course, that any restore is of the entire drive only.

JimSmith42, Nov 15, 2015
  4. sn00ker Win User

A downside to creating restore points?

Maybe because 10 still has to many bugs that need to be fixed

sn00ker, Nov 15, 2015
  5. Winuser Win User
    I don't know why it's turned off by default. I have it turned on and haven't noticed any problems.

Winuser, Nov 15, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    One of the first things I do is turn it on. I think this was a bad decision by MS. It's saved my butt several times so for the little space it uses its well worth having.

Ztruker, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

A downside to creating restore points?

1. A downside to creating restore points? - Similar Threads - downside creating restore

2. creating a restore point

in Windows 10 Gaming
    creating a restore point: creating a restore point https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-a-restore-point/9c1f81c1-0eb2-4663-861f-edef4d87fa44
  3. creating a restore point

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    creating a restore point: creating a restore point https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/creating-a-restore-point/9c1f81c1-0eb2-4663-861f-edef4d87fa44
  4. Create a Restore Point

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Create a Restore Point: Sirs, Following a service /inspection by my local computer service engineer - I was recommended to increase the protection- I installed Virus Protection Software from Norton. It was not to my liking and used their uninstall software to remove the installation. The removal...
  5. Create a restore point.

Create a restore point.: Hi there! Does anyone know what the problem is! Attached are 2 images. Unfortunately, the text is in Swedish. With best regards, R. T [ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/create-a-restore-point/5c93a9c2-7f27-4cad-916b-cc10e0a3abd7
  6. System Restore will not create a restore point

System Restore will not create a restore point: This has been a recurring problem on my HP Pavilion with Windows 10 64bit. I cannot create a System Restore point and System Protection will not turn on. It just keep searching for drives. The error code given is 0x81000203. I have also tried installing Macrium Reflect as a...
  7. Cannot create a restore point

in Windows 10 Support
    Cannot create a restore point: I'm not sure I'm in the right place, but when I go to create a restore point I get a message: The restore point could not be created for the following reason: The writer experienced a transient error. If the backup process is retired, the error might not reoccur. Please try...
  8. Creating restore points?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Creating restore points?: Is there an application, freeware or paid, that works in creating restore points in Windows 10, so if an installed application messes things up, I can restore the saved point, so Windows 10 loads as if the application was never installed in the first place, and Windows...
  9. Create Restore Points

Create Restore Points: Hi Group, I'm wondering if W-10 can be configured to create a system restore point on a regular basis? Like maybe once a week or so. Also, how much drive space does a restore point use? Thanks 101418
  10. Scheduled Instant Restore Point - No Restore Point Created

Scheduled Instant Restore Point - No Restore Point Created: I followed the instruction to manually create a Manual Restore Point and that works fine. Then I decided to set up the task in the Task Scheduler to automatically create a restore point once daily. For some reason the task is started as it should but it never completes and I...