Windows 10: A few problems I have in W10, trying to figure out if a clean install is the only realistic...

Discus and support A few problems I have in W10, trying to figure out if a clean install is the only realistic... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; So I have a few problems in my OS that have surfaced. I've been trying to tackle them on a case-by-case -basis, but I'm reaching the end of the line... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Grakchawwaa, Sep 11, 2020.

1. A few problems I have in W10, trying to figure out if a clean install is the only realistic...

So I have a few problems in my OS that have surfaced. I've been trying to tackle them on a case-by-case -basis, but I'm reaching the end of the line here and unless I can find a permanent fix, I'll have to resort to clean installing my OS.

My latest attempt at fixing it was re-installing W10 while keeping personal files and apps, and it did fix some of the more irritating issues, but some other issues still remain.

1. I have a few files scattered around that I cannot seem to remove, as I'm prompted that they're no longer present in their paths as I try to remove them. This is not a major problem, but to me it's an indication of something being wrong.

2. My windows defender seems unusable. It's probably not unique to windows defender, but some other default functionality and apps of windows 10, but defender is the one I note/care about. I'm able to perform scans manually, but I'm incapable of turning on the real-time protection.

In its inception I had not used any alternative antivirus progrems, but when I noticed the problem I did install Malwarebytes to perform scans to see if anything was maliciously preventing it, but found nothing. This is a bit of an annoying one. I'm also unable to verify the update status on Windows Defender Intelligence, which is another symptom.

3. This problem was fixed with the re-install of the OS, but a lot of installers were unable to install their software due to admin privilege prompts and rejections during installation (installer not being allowed to create files to C:\ start menu and so on due to lack of privileges). To this day I have no idea what might've caused it.

4. Not sure if it was related to my OS at all, but my firewall control software stopped working somewhat recently and I had to remove it. I was using Windows 10 Firewall Control from Sphinx Software but I stopped being able to control it (new inquiries no longer were visible to the controller). Now I'm using W10's default Firewall setup, which is fine, I'm just listing things that have gone to shit in the recent times that might be even remotely related.
    submitted by /u/Grakchawwaa
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Grakchawwaa, Sep 11, 2020

2. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Sep 11, 2020
  3. SAM
    sam Win User
    How to install system drivers after a clean install of W10

Ive got an error on a windows 10 HP laptop with the OS and i need to do a clean install of the W10.

Ive never done a windows clean install (done plenty of Mac ones) so im trying to figure out everything i need in advance.

So far my plan is to :

• backup all data
    • download W10 from microsoft HERE , install it onto a USB drive, boot into the drive and run the installer

Once the clean install of W10 is complete as i understand i need to install drivers for various bits of hardware, for this HP have a driver page for my laptop HERE. Where i currently cant make my mind up is wether i should download the individual drivers from that page and install them (the issue with this is im a bit confused on some of them as there seem to be 2 bluetooth drivers, and other options on a couple of other drivers, due to what hardware the specific laptop has).

I was also told to check out the HP Setup Assistant software which apperently functions like a driver install wizard, by scanning your hardware and then downloading the required drivers.

What is preferable to download the individual drivers or the use the HP setup assistant ?

Is there also a test / tool i can run at the end of the processes after the new OS and drivers have been installed, to check nothing is missing ?

Will i need to enable security features etc, or does a clean copy of W10 default to a locked down mode ?

4. A few problems I have in W10, trying to figure out if a clean install is the only realistic...

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Sep 11, 2020
Thema:

A few problems I have in W10, trying to figure out if a clean install is the only realistic...

1. A few problems I have in W10, trying to figure out if a clean install is the only realistic... - Similar Threads - few problems W10

2. I cant figure out the problem:

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cant figure out the problem:: DescriptionA problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.Problem signatureProblem Event Name: LiveKernelEventCode: 1b8Parameter 1: 1Parameter 2: 0Parameter 3: 0Parameter 4: 0OS version: 10_0_22621Service Pack: 0_0Product: 768_1OS Version:...
  3. I cant figure out the problem:

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cant figure out the problem:: DescriptionA problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.Problem signatureProblem Event Name: LiveKernelEventCode: 1b8Parameter 1: 1Parameter 2: 0Parameter 3: 0Parameter 4: 0OS version: 10_0_22621Service Pack: 0_0Product: 768_1OS Version:...
  4. I may have figured this out.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I may have figured this out.: Here is my original post: Can you please tell me how to fix my computer? I'm having trouble - Microsoft CommunityI may have discovered the problem. Please see the image below.It appears that "System Reserved" is on Disk 1. Should "System Reserved" in fact be on Disk 0?...
  5. I may have figured this out.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I may have figured this out.: Here is my original post: Can you please tell me how to fix my computer? I'm having trouble - Microsoft CommunityI may have discovered the problem. Please see the image below.It appears that "System Reserved" is on Disk 1. Should "System Reserved" in fact be on Disk 0?...
  6. I may have figured this out.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. after installing w10 clean install and updating wifi only onboard then updating w10 to 20h2...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    after installing w10 clean install and updating wifi only onboard then updating w10 to 20h2...: i posted a new topic with the same question as i couldnt reply to DaveM12 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/after-installing-w10-clean-install-and-updating/1487c3bd-6ffe-4285-888c-d31ade75db54
  8. I have a problem and I can't figure out why

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I have a problem and I can't figure out why: I have recently realized that everytime I open up the settings, my whole screen turns pitch black (like not even open black) but when it is opened up in windowed, my screens just as fine. I think I may have messed with something that I can't think of right now but it will be...
  9. I have a BSOD that I couldn't figure out

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I have a BSOD that I couldn't figure out: Dears @ Windows 10 Forums, Peace be upon you, I have a BSOD that I couldn't figure out and I'm in need of your help, The dump files are kindly attached, Many thanks in advance 79269
  10. Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.: So i just bought a bigger SSD to install w10 on and the installer runs fine right up until the first restart. Computer restarts and the W10 installer is back at the start where I select the language. Im installing from an USB boot stick which I made with microsofts own tool....