Windows 10: A few questions about reinstalling Windows 10

Discus and support A few questions about reinstalling Windows 10 in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Ahoy Windows 10 folks! So as the title says, I'm going to be reinstalling Windows 10 completely (planning to do so tomorrow). What I bought (about 1... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Ciel_Rosemont, Dec 30, 2020.

1. A few questions about reinstalling Windows 10

Ahoy Windows 10 folks! So as the title says, I'm going to be reinstalling Windows 10 completely (planning to do so tomorrow). What I bought (about 1 year ago, when I built this PC) is a full "Retail" version of Windows 10 Home, which came in the form of the little white box with a USB drive inside (from which I installed Windows). There's also a card with my activation key which says not to lose it "in case you ever need to reinstall Windows 10 Home".

Here is what I'm confused on:

1. I don't have my Microsoft account linked to the sign-in to Windows on my PC as I prefer it this way; the MS account is of course associated with my OneDrive and Office apps, and I've used it in the MS Store to buy a couple things, but I use an old-school local username and password to sign into Windows when the PC is started/restarted, not my MS email or password (and the activation status says "Windows is activated with a digital license"). Is this a problem for reinstalling? I would have assumed no, but I did see a couple articles suggesting that one can have problems reactivating Windows itself (or, alternatively, reactivating other licensed products like Office) after a reinstallation, if you had only a local account when the reinstallation began. I've been using Windows 10 and Office 365 for a year now with no issues so I wouldn't think it'd be a problem but I wanted to be sure.
    2. As I mentioned, I have the retail Windows 10 box, card, and USB drive. My initial assumption was that said drive could play a role in doing a reinstall, but I've been able to find NOTHING about this online. Everywhere I look (whether on the actual Microsoft site or when looking at guides posted by 3rd parties, old Reddit threads, etc.) makes mention of "creating installation media". Is this little USB drive that I got when I bought the thing just useless now? Does this NOT count as "installation media"? Do I really need to make my own using another USB drive?
    3. I have 3 SSDs in this machine. My C drive (which is 500 GB) will be wiped completely, and I'll reinstall Windows 10 on it (and then other programs/apps as well). The other two drives contain personal files. In my research I've also read that the best way to do this would be to physically disconnect the other two drives prior to starting the reinstallation process, so that Windows can't even "see" them (and thus, there's no chance of it erasing anything, since I WILL be using the "nuke everything, don't save any files" option because I intend to wipe the C drive clean during the reinstall, and disconnecting the drives will ALSO eliminate any chance of Windows installing any important bits onto those drives. Everything will just go to C).So I'd turn off the computer, disconnect the other two drives, turn it back on with only C connected, begin the reinstallation process, and only once that's ALL done and I've got a freshly installed Windows 10 desktop looking back at me, would I turn it off again and reconnect those drives, at which point (once the PC is on again) Windows should see them and be able to use them again (I understand I may have to reassign letters to them in Disk Management). Does that all sound right?

That's pretty much it. Any help is appreciated!

submitted by /u/Ciel_Rosemont
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Ciel_Rosemont, Dec 30, 2020
  2. MrGenius Win User

[Solved] Windows 10 keeps reinstalling KB3119142

I noticed quite some time ago that KB3119142 (Update for Microsoft Visual C++ 2012 Update 4 Redistributable Package) kept reinstalling itself for some reason. At least once daily. Sometimes up to several times a day. I just ignored it. It didn't seem to be doing any harm. And I figured they'd eventually fix it. Well...days turned into weeks, weeks into months, with no end to the problem in sight. It dragged on unsolved for at least the last few months. Literally reinstalling itself hundreds of(at least a hundred, felt like more) times in that period of time.

So I finally googled it a couple days ago. And just got around to fixing it today. Which appears to have worked. And it couldn't have been easier to do. I feel so stupid to have let it intimidate me for so long.*Oops! A few questions about reinstalling Windows 10 :oops:
    Below are links to the thread that I got the fix idea from, and the official MS support info page for KB3119142(from which I quoted the above).
    http://www.tenforums.com/windows-up...-windows-10-keeps-reinstalling-kb3119142.html
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3119142

MrGenius, Dec 30, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 30, 2020
  4. Jerry8A Win User

A few questions about reinstalling Windows 10

Reinstall System Image Question

Reinstall System Image Question –
    When saving a system image in Windows 10, it saves it as “Windows Image Backup.” I then add the date to the listing and save it. Therefore, I have a list of backups that read like “Windows Image Backup 9-4-19.”
    So, this is my question.
    If I need to reinstall my system image, does Windows allow me to choose any of the backups in my list to reinstall?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Dec 30, 2020
Thema:

A few questions about reinstalling Windows 10

1. A few questions about reinstalling Windows 10 - Similar Threads - few questions reinstalling

2. Question about reinstalling windows.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Question about reinstalling windows.: My daughter unknowingly updated to Windows 11 on her laptop over 10 days ago. The computer runs so slow, lags so much, that its pretty much unusable. Wondering how we can download a copy of Windows 10, the licensed copy we paid for when the computer was purchased? Since it...
  3. Question about reinstalling windows.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Question about reinstalling windows.: My daughter unknowingly updated to Windows 11 on her laptop over 10 days ago. The computer runs so slow, lags so much, that its pretty much unusable. Wondering how we can download a copy of Windows 10, the licensed copy we paid for when the computer was purchased? Since it...
  4. Question about few windows 10 services.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Question about few windows 10 services.: Hi. Which service or process in windows 10 is stubbornly re-enabling the following services that I permanently disabled : -WaaSMedicSvc, -UsoSvc, -wuauserv ? I am well aware that upon normal circumstances these services should be running, however my PC is a "special case"...
  5. Question about Windows Reinstallation.

Question about Windows Reinstallation.: If I reinstall my windows through a bootable drive will my BitLocker encryption remain or would I lose it? Do I have to keep in mind some settings or not? Will recovery drive after reinstallation be automatically made or not? If not how do I have to make it? submitted by...
  6. Question about reinstalling Windows

Question about reinstalling Windows: First of all, I have never done this before but I do know my way around windows. I’m just not sure on one thing. I want to back up everything (except the OS) to a portable hard drive in order to reinstall Windows, but I don’t know what the best way to do this is. I would just...
  7. Question about Windows reinstall?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about Windows reinstall?: I have reset Windows so that everything is deleted except the own files. And after it was finished there was something about security or something else and at the end there was almost done and now I have a black screen only with the mouse I can restart the PC or should I wait...
  8. Question about reinstall?

Question about reinstall?: If I use the reinstall tool on the MSFT site, do I use lose data on the D drive? submitted by /u/Redtition [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hrtcur/question_about_reinstall/
  9. Question about windows reinstall

Question about windows reinstall: Hello, On the Microsoft site about Windows installation it says that you need a 8GB usb flash drive for the iso file thing. Well, my USB flash drive is only 7.20gb, is it still gonna work? I'm gonna reinstall my OS tomorrow so I would gladly accept any advice. Thanks in...
  10. questions about reinstalling windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    questions about reinstalling windows 10: so i want to reinstall windows 10due to some problems , i have some questions regarding data loss eetc i want to reinstall without losing any data , i have games , musics , pictures , videos and many other things , and i dont want to lose them , is it possible to reinstall...