Windows 10: A few questions about resetting the BIOS settings.

Discus and support A few questions about resetting the BIOS settings. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey, What is the proper way to short the CMOS jumper on a laptop motherboard if I don't have that thing that goes on it? Also, when doing a BIOS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BicycleRow, Nov 28, 2016.

1. A few questions about resetting the BIOS settings.

Hey,

What is the proper way to short the CMOS jumper on a laptop motherboard if I don't have that thing that goes on it?
    Also, when doing a BIOS recovery (this laptop's keyboard is broken and I can't use the Fn key) can I use an external normal-sized mechanical keyboard that doesn't have the Fn key to start the recovery? And what's the key/combination?

:)

BicycleRow, Nov 28, 2016

2. A few questions about the e61

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully others will give me some insight on Exchange. Do you like your e61? I currently have a Tmobile SDA and I like it but would like a full qwerty keyboard. Hopefully I can do most things with an e61 that I can on my SDA.

crispeto---01, Nov 28, 2016
  3. A few questions about the N97

Thanks guys, you pretty much answered all my questions, so I am VERY LIKELY to get this phone in October/November/December or the early start of next year, because I got a LG phone that's really annoying the hell out of me and they still won't replace it,
    so I'm just going to get this and it's cheaper than the E75 so =)

Kudos to you guys.

Edit: And I hope Nokia will add support for Linux as well as better support for Mac in the future, I am a Linux enthusiast but I have to use Windows Vista (It's horrible) for my studies, but I dual boot so it's not too bad.

Message Edited by on 11-Jul-2009 07:51 PM

hittingray, Nov 28, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

A few questions about resetting the BIOS settings.

Please tell us the Laptop Make and Model#. Your profile mentions an HP desktop.
    You can get a new keyboard for your laptop from Ebay
    What "Thing" are your talking about? the Jumper pin? Why do you need to short the CMOS?
    Can you boot into Windows? If so, you can go to Settings/Update and Security/Recovery/Advanced Startup/Restart Now and choose to enter Recovery partition.
    Depending on the make and model # of your laptop, there are other ways to enter recovery if you cannot boot into Windows. On an HP, you would press the ESC key. On a Dell or Acer it might be the F11 key.

spunk, Nov 28, 2016
  5. Steve C Win User
    I would try loading the BIOS defaults from the BIOS before resetting the BIOS on the motherboard. There may be a reset switch or button on your motherboard. If not, you can remove and replace the CMOS battery if you don't want to short the jumpers.

Steve C, Nov 29, 2016
  6. It's an Acer Aspire 5745G and I need to do it because my friend messed up his BIOS settings and now the laptop boots but nothing comes up, it's just a black, dead screen. There's no CMOS battery on the motherboard and there's a little, white 2 pin thing which I assume is the jumper, though I'm not completely sure, it could be something else. If you want, I can upload a picture of it.
    Now I'm gonna try to do a BIOS recovery with the F11 key you've mentioned, hopefully it'll work.

EDIT: The external keyboard for some reason doesn't work immediately when I boot the laptop, I have to wait around a minute for it to light up and be functional. I think because of that I won't be able to do the recovery.
    So, I guess shorting the jumpers, assuming there are any, is the only way to fix this problem. Or to just throw it in the trash.

BicycleRow, Nov 29, 2016
  7. On the Acer 5745G when your laptop starts you should be able to enter the BIOS by pressing F2. You may have to press more than once. Say three four times.

I assume this did not work for you. Correct?

Once in BIOS F9 restores defaults, then F10 to save.

Your manual has an error message for CMOS battery dead. According to docs CMOS battery is right beside wireless card and right below memory. It may be covered in black protective material, shaped like a coin. You should see it right after you take cover off.

Caledon Ken, Nov 29, 2016
  8. A few questions about resetting the BIOS settings.

I took out the whole motherboard and there is no CMOS battery anywhere on it. And correct, F2 doesn't work, and that's because the external keyboard is not working immediately after boot, as I said.

BicycleRow, Nov 30, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I guess this is not the laptop in question:
    How to disassemble Acer Aspire 5745 | Inside my laptop

A few questions about resetting the BIOS settings. [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Nov 30, 2016
  10. It looks the same, only the CMOS battery is not there.

That's the 5745, the one I have is the 5745G.

BicycleRow, Nov 30, 2016
  11. Wow. I found this video. Basically I searched for our to remove password from Bios. Interesting the battery is under wireless card in this video for Acer 57**. Did you by chance remove wireless card? Then he shorted the leads in battery slot to reset BIOS.

How to remove BIOS password for Acer Aspire 57** Series - YouTube

Caledon Ken, Nov 30, 2016
  12. I've already watched that video, and tons of others but none of them match the one I have.

See for yourself:

(Sorry for the bad quality)

I suppose that white 2-pin thing is the jumper that has to be shorted, though I tried but nothing happens.

BicycleRow, Nov 30, 2016
  13. A few questions about resetting the BIOS settings.

That white 2 pin header is where the battery would be connected. There is a picture on the page in the link NavyLCD posted that shows the wires from the battery going to it. It appears somebody already removed it? If it has already been removed, the BIOS has reset to defaults on its own. Keep in mind, on a laptop, some settings will not be reset by removing the CMOS battery. If you set a BIOS password for instance that will not be erased by removing the battery. It's stored in non volatile RAM. Everything else will be erased though, boot order, etc will go back to defaults.

alphanumeric, Nov 30, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Great catch! That explains the absence of a battery - it's supposed to be there but isn't.

NavyLCDR, Nov 30, 2016
  15. So, I just have to buy a new battery?

BicycleRow, Nov 30, 2016
Thema:

A few questions about resetting the BIOS settings.

1. A few questions about resetting the BIOS settings. - Similar Threads - few questions resetting

2. Look at details for questions it’s about bios

in Windows 10 Customization
    Look at details for questions it’s about bios: I really need help when I hold shift and click on restart then click advanced options then click UEFI Firmware Settings it doesn’t send me into bios instead it sends me into a page asking to select a language I click English then click the only other button reset and it just...
  3. Look at details for questions it’s about bios

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Look at details for questions it’s about bios: I really need help when I hold shift and click on restart then click advanced options then click UEFI Firmware Settings it doesn’t send me into bios instead it sends me into a page asking to select a language I click English then click the only other button reset and it just...
  4. Look at details for questions it’s about bios

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. This question is not about the BIOS setting for enabling numlock key on startup

This question is not about the BIOS setting for enabling numlock key on startup: This question is not about the BIOS setting for enabling numlock key on startup.It is about how to enable the numlock key at startup and simultaneously disable the key so it can not be turned off when accidentally hit on a laptop.I know the key can be glued down on a desktop...
  6. Question about settings

Question about settings: Hello good evening, I went to some settings which I don't remember what they were and there was a box that you could check or uncheck and it said either "Disable external microphone" or "Disable external speakers". It said something like that but I don't remember exactly....
  7. Question about drive setup in Bios

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Question about drive setup in Bios: Hi All, Opened Macrium Reflect this morning and just browsing around and noticed it had my M.2 SSD 250GB drive assigned to Disk 5. I opened Windows 10 Disk Management and noticed the M.2 drive was assigned to Disk 4. I failed to notice this when I first upgraded to all these...
  8. Question about drive setup in Bios

in Windows 10 Support
    Question about drive setup in Bios: Hi All, Opened Macrium Reflect this morning and just browsing around and noticed it had my M.2 SSD 250GB drive assigned to Disk 5. I opened Windows 10 Disk Management and noticed the M.2 drive was assigned to Disk 4. I failed to notice this when I first upgraded to all these...
  9. Questions about bios updating

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Questions about bios updating: Can anyone show me a detailed way to update my bios? [img] 59784
  10. A few Brief Questions about W10

in Windows 10 Support
    A few Brief Questions about W10: 1. There is a search bar at the bottom of my computer. It says search the web and windows.......I don't want it there. How do I get rid of it ? 2. What is box ? I clicked it on but it won't open.....should I delete it ? I unpinned the games, groove music, sports,...