Windows 10: A few questions about using and creating wim files

Discus and support A few questions about using and creating wim files in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; ACCIDENTAL DUPLICATE.. SORRY. I have a few questions about creating .WIM files. Can you use DISM to create a .WIM on an already installed partition... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by binaryCodescape, Jul 5, 2019.

1. A few questions about using and creating wim files

ACCIDENTAL DUPLICATE.. SORRY.
    I have a few questions about creating .WIM files. Can you use DISM to create a .WIM on an already installed partition from the usb windows installer. Or must you use WINDOWS PE and imagex or run it before windows is actually installed. It seemed to work and said saving image on the recovery partition i created but when I checked it, it wasnt there. Do you have to create .WIMs in Win PE, or can they be created in non-PE? If i wanted to add an option to Win RE(Recovery Enviroment/F8..Repair your computer) to run an automated .WIM deployment as a "Factory Image Restore" with the custom .WIM I created, How hard would that be? Obviously, I know I would have to program the GUI for it to work but just wondering. Sorr

:)

binaryCodescape, Jul 5, 2019
  2. johnspack Win User

Compacting a wim file?

Sorry, no idea where to put this. I just recently learned how to use dism. I use it to slipstream all hotfixes and ie10 ect into an AIO install disc. The problem is, it creates a huge install.wim after 8 index mounts and slipstreams. Considering all 8 images use the same darn wim and files, don't know why it has to increase the wim size by 1gig. Either I need to figure out how to use the same wim.install file for all indexes, or I need to compact the wim file which is now 4gbs with ie10 and all updates to April. Any way to do either?

johnspack, Jul 5, 2019
  3. johnspack Win User
    Compacting a wim file?

Actually it turns out the answer is the dism that comes with Win8. Using the new Export-Image command, and a simple batch file, was able to compress my AIO wim by several hundred mbs.

johnspack, Jul 5, 2019
  4. A few questions about using and creating wim files

how to open wim files

Hi , I am Dexter, an Independent Advisor, here to help you.

I'll suggest you read this doc from Microsoft:

Capture and apply a Windows image using a single .WIM file

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardwa...

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and let me know how it goes. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Dexter Lien, Jul 5, 2019
Thema:

A few questions about using and creating wim files

1. A few questions about using and creating wim files - Similar Threads - few questions using

2. A few questions about shipping a broken product

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    A few questions about shipping a broken product: I recently had to order a new surface luckily i was under a 1 year warranty. It says that the order was placed for a in warranty exchange but they never gave me direcrions on who to ship it too. I need help on what to do...
  3. Question about creating a computer.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Question about creating a computer.: I was planning on creating a simple computer that could run Windows 10. I am planning out all of my parts right now and got confused about how it could run Windows 10. I don't have a lot of experience yet, so I appreciate any support. Is there a Windows 10 OS inside one...
  4. A few questions about using and creating wim files

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    A few questions about using and creating wim files: I have a few questions about wim/winpe/imagex. Is there a way to create a .WIM file for a windows installation that has already been created. Im basically wanting to (for now) create a .wim file that I can install as a sort of custom "factroy image restore" I understand doing...
  5. A few questions about using and creating wim files

in Windows 10 Support
    A few questions about using and creating wim files: I have a few questions about wim/winpe/imagex. Is there a way to create a .WIM file for a windows installation that has already been created. Im basically wanting to (for now) create a .wim file that I can install as a sort of custom "factroy image restore" I understand doing...
  6. Questions about few things on if i create two account on my PC

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Questions about few things on if i create two account on my PC: I have created two accounts on my pc. One has Administrative Privileges and other has user type-Child(account with many constraints like screen time, content viewing etc.). I have few question, i will list them below- 1. Which parts of the PC will be sharable between two...
  7. Question About Create System Image

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Question About Create System Image: If you create a system image using Create System Image in Backup and Restore and save it to an internal hard drive in an enclosure connected via usb, can you just use that as a replacement hard drive and just replace your current hard drive and use the one the System Image is...
  8. Create a wim or esd file with no volume image

in Windows 10 Support
    Create a wim or esd file with no volume image: [img] Hi Using Windows ADK 10 v1511, it is possible to create a wim or esd file with no volume image so that I can add them later? Thanks Bye 42214
  9. Creating a wim and using a answer file that I have cresated ..

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Creating a wim and using a answer file that I have cresated ..: If I have create install.wim from an existing installation (running) and created my answer from another install.wim , should I create a answer file from the install.wim I created from the existing install or are they install.wim independent? can I used the install.wim from...
  10. A few Brief Questions about W10

in Windows 10 Support
    A few Brief Questions about W10: 1. There is a search bar at the bottom of my computer. It says search the web and windows.......I don't want it there. How do I get rid of it ? 2. What is box ? I clicked it on but it won't open.....should I delete it ? I unpinned the games, groove music, sports,...