Windows 10: A file name cannot include any of the fallowing characters < > / : \ * ? "

Discus and support A file name cannot include any of the fallowing characters < > / : \ * ? " in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm trying to use these illegal terms to create a program i could use in CMD to execute. I'm trying to create a portable JAVA on a portable hard drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by xXRareCandyXx, Jan 27, 2020.

1. A file name cannot include any of the fallowing characters < > / : \ * ? "

I'm trying to use these illegal terms to create a program i could use in CMD to execute. I'm trying to create a portable JAVA on a portable hard drive using these steps below however when it comes to the naming convention i can not change the file type to /"NAME/" to be able to use these Naming conventions \"

I'm looking for another way to preform this or and override command/step to allow me to make changes to the folder to have it become operable

https://itstillworks.com/install-java-flash-drive-5953803.html

:)

xXRareCandyXx, Jan 27, 2020
  2. MRISAK Win User

Searching file names using wild characters

In searching File Explorer (Win10) the wild character "?" doesn't seem to work when searching for a file name. e.g. "?E1" doesn't produce a list of files having E1 as 2nd & 3rd character in file names. Used to work beautifully in Win 7.

MRISAK, Jan 27, 2020
  3. Guinness Book Names "Top 50 Video Game Characters of All Time"

I actually agree with all of the names in the top10. Each character is responsible for a genre or creating a genre. Good list.

WhiteLotus, Jan 27, 2020
  4. A file name cannot include any of the fallowing characters < > / : \ * ? "

How to create folder name or file name with special characters like \ / : * ? " < > |

My problem is that, I can not give name of my folder or file with special characters like \ / : * ? " < > | in windows based O.S.
    This is very important for me, that giving name of file/folder which contain this type of characters.

I already search and refer so many site,for this problems but all are hopeless.
    I also read Microsoft support page, they suggest use other characters. This is its link, https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/177506

I already try Alt button + ASCII code number of this type of special characters, from numpad key, just example rename file/folder and press Alt+60 (for < characters) Still it giving message that, A filename cannot contain any of the following characters:
    \ / : * ? " < > |

Suggest me suitable solution so that I can give name of my file/folder with this type of special characters.

Kirit_Vanani, Jan 27, 2020
Thema:

A file name cannot include any of the fallowing characters < > / : \ * ? "

1. A file name cannot include any of the fallowing characters < > / : \ * ? " - Similar Threads - file name cannot

2. What characters are not permitted in a file name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What characters are not permitted in a file name: I accidentally saved a file that contained an = in the file name. I was surprised that File Explorer didn't reject it. I then tried the characters ! and ? ! was OK, ? was rejected. I'd like to know if there are other permitted characters. What is the rationale for what is...
  3. What characters are not permitted in a file name

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What characters are not permitted in a file name: I accidentally saved a file that contained an = in the file name. I was surprised that File Explorer didn't reject it. I then tried the characters ! and ? ! was OK, ? was rejected. I'd like to know if there are other permitted characters. What is the rationale for what is...
  4. What characters are not permitted in a file name

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Special characters in file names

Special characters in file names: Hi, since this morning out of a blue any of my files that contains special character Norwegian letters or files that stored in a folder that contains special character can not be seen in the preview pane, only an error message "File not found" is shown.Is there any setting to...
  6. Special characters in file names

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Special characters in file names: Hi, since this morning out of a blue any of my files that contains special character Norwegian letters or files that stored in a folder that contains special character can not be seen in the preview pane, only an error message "File not found" is shown.Is there any setting to...
  7. Special characters in file names

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Persian Characters in file names

in Windows 10 Customization
    Persian Characters in file names: How to allow persian letters to be displayed in file names in Microsoft? like گ or چ or پ or ڨ My PC accepts Arabic as it is my native language, but I need some characters from the Persian as well since the alphabets of the two languages are very similar. I DON'T want...
  9. Chinese Character in Names of Zipped Files

Chinese Character in Names of Zipped Files: Hi, I'm a translator and get sent a lot of files containing Chinese characters in the file name. If these files are sent to me in a zip folder, the file names get all messed up, e.g. "δ--⌐ε½.doc", after unzipping. Is there some way to stop this from happening? Do I need to...
  10. An error saying "A file name can't contain any of the following characters"

An error saying "A file name can't contain any of the following characters": These keeps happening even thought none of the characters outlined are in the renaming of my files that I'm trying to rename. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/an-error-saying-a-file-name-cant-contain-any-of/6ec44074-7074-4112-a4f1-26047e304a91"