Windows 10: A file on my desktop cannot be deleted because it does not exist?

Discus and support A file on my desktop cannot be deleted because it does not exist? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a file on my desktop that I cannot delete. I searched the internet but most info is from 2 or 3 years ago. I have tried the CMD routine but it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Sean M3, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Sean M3 Win User

A file on my desktop cannot be deleted because it does not exist?

I have a file on my desktop that I cannot delete. I searched the internet but most info is from 2 or 3 years ago. I have tried the CMD routine but it shows it cant delete because file does not exist. It shows on my desktop. I tried to delete the icon cache but no luck. I have reset, I have started in safe mode and nothing seems to work. I have windows 11 but never had an issue like this with anything else. Nothing works in the properties as far as trying to hide or compress the file. Tried to place it in a folder to delete the folder but "File does not exist" LOL I know a song can be made out

:)

Sean M3, Jul 5, 2022
  2. MohanC Win User

windows 10 deleted my desktop files

Step 1 - I upgraded to Win 10 and lost all my files on Desktop.

Step 2 - Found the files in Network - USers- Desktop

copied all files again to desktop.

Step 3- Restarted my machine again and lost desktop files again.

Step 4 - As suggested did the following as listed below but dont find my files.

• Press “Windows + E”, open This PC/Computer
    • Open Local Disc C, open Windows.old
    • Click on Users, select your User name
    • Go to desktop folder
    Cant find my files. Why is Win 10 deleted files again and again from Desktop ?.

MohanC, Jul 5, 2022
  3. Cant Delete Files From Desktop

Well, ran into a weird bug with vista, for some reason i cant delete files from desktop, this normaly happens to .exe files, the ONLY fix seems to be to KILL explorer.exe, and delete the file, then restat explorer, anybody got any idea why this happens?

Rebo&Zooty, Jul 5, 2022
  4. Try3 Win User

Deleted icons stay on desktop (not in desktop folder)

I can only suggest that you
    1 Add a list of steps you have already taken.
    2 Add a comment about restarting the computer. Do the deleted icons disappear then?
    2 Add a comment explaining if any Desktop items do delete correctly and whether or not there are any significant differences between those that do delete correctly and those that don't.
    3 Add a list of any OS tweaks you have done & any third-party OS-related utilities you have run.

I assume you have already reinstalled your display driver.
    I don't see a Repair install as being relevant. Repair Install - TenForumsTutorials

Denis

Try3, Jul 5, 2022
Thema:

1. A file on my desktop cannot be deleted because it does not exist? - Similar Threads - file desktop cannot

2. Cannot delete file on desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot delete file on desktop: I have a PDF file on my desktop that I had received and am trying to delete it. The PDF file used to open in the Microsoft Edge web browser Edge is my default browser but now it does not open at all. Even, if I try to open it with another browser, it still does not open at...
  3. How to delete a file that does not exist?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to delete a file that does not exist?: I run Windows 11.I have a Roblox Player file that does not exist.When I go to my Apps & Features application, the file shows up, without a logo. I am unable to delete it, as when I try, I get this error."Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files...
  4. How to delete a file that does not exist?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to delete a file that does not exist?: I run Windows 11.I have a Roblox Player file that does not exist.When I go to my Apps & Features application, the file shows up, without a logo. I am unable to delete it, as when I try, I get this error."Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files...
  5. A file on my desktop cannot be deleted because it does not exist?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A file on my desktop cannot be deleted because it does not exist?: I have a file on my desktop that I cannot delete. I searched the internet but most info is from 2 or 3 years ago. I have tried the CMD routine but it shows it cant delete because file does not exist. It shows on my desktop. I tried to delete the icon cache but no luck. I have...
  6. Delete undeletable file that does not exist

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete undeletable file that does not exist: I spent hours trying to sort his out. I found the answer here: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/WINDOWS/en-US/be3fe04d-e725-4199-828c-30eef70fcf95/unable-to-delete-folder-could-not-find-this-item?forum=winserver8gen. Special thanks to Razya73...
  7. delete file that does not seem to exist

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    delete file that does not seem to exist: I'm having a super weird problem. I have an external 2 TB Seagate hard drive. If I connect the drive to a USB port on my laptop there is only one folder I can see . If I connect the same drive to my router Netgear C3700 and view the files via ReadyShare, there are bunch of...
  8. Cannot install Minecraft because Windows Store does not exist.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot install Minecraft because Windows Store does not exist.: I own Minecraft, I have for a long time. I wanted to install the Windows 10 Edition onto another Windows 10 PC. I've discovered that I can't because it seems to only want to download from the Microsoft Store app, which does not exist on this PC. I've tried all manner of fixes...
  9. I cannot delete a folder that "does not exist" (but it does)

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    I cannot delete a folder that "does not exist" (but it does): I tried to remove that folder using rmdir command in cmd, but it's no use. I haven't found other solutions on the Internet. So what else can I do?...
  10. How to delete an empty file on desktop that Win10 says does not exist

in Windows 10 Support
    How to delete an empty file on desktop that Win10 says does not exist: I have a file on my desktop that Windows 10 insists does not exist at that location. A small snip of the screen showing the file next to my drive icons is attached. A snip of the error message is also attached when the delete command is attempted from the right-click...