Windows 10: A fix for the disappearing Taskbar

Discus and support A fix for the disappearing Taskbar in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; After the latest Windows update, my taskbar disappeared. I tried everything I could find in several forums, but nothing worked. I stumbled onto this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Pete27540, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Pete27540 Win User

A fix for the disappearing Taskbar

After the latest Windows update, my taskbar disappeared. I tried everything I could find in several forums, but nothing worked. I stumbled onto this quick solution that restores the taskbar each morning.
    This only takes a few seconds. Left Click on the Windows icon, right click on a program, for example Calculator. Under "More", click on "pin to taskbar". That fills the taskbar. When you start your system tomorrow, do the same thing, but "unpin from taskbar". I told you it was easy. It's a shame we have to go through that to get the taskbar to show up again.

:)

Pete27540, Jun 4, 2017

2. Microsoft Edge Does Not Appear in Taskbar

again you're a super duper pro obviously and you know me better than I know myself since I thought all I had installed was battle.net steam uplay chrome minecraft and literally not a single other thing, can you please tell me what else I have installed so
    I can uninstall it? thank you mr obvious computer professional

original question The icon for Microsoft Edge disappeared from the taskbar

icon for Microsoft Edge disappeared from the taskbar

for Microsoft Edge disappeared from the taskbar

Microsoft Edge disappeared from the taskbar

Edge disappeared from the taskbar

interneter, Jun 4, 2017
  3. PhilipvR Win User
    OneDrive

My OneDrive starts up, then the icon disappears from the taskbar and OneDrive becomes inactive. How can I fix this ?

PhilipvR, Jun 4, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, thanks, just wondering for clarification- to which update are you referring in particular? Do you mean upgrading to the Creator's Build, or the latest update for either the Creator's Build or the Anniversary Build (people currently use both at present- and a few still on 1511 for example).

dalchina, Jun 4, 2017
  5. Pete27540 Win User
    I don't know. This happened about 3 or 4 weeks ago. One of the suggestions I got was to reinstall windows using an iso file but saving my data and apps. I did that. My update history only shows these 2 updates. They have dates that were after my Taskbar problems.

2017-05 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4020821)
    Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool for Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2, 2016 x64 Edition - May 2017 (KB890830)

They have dates that were after my Taskbar problems.
    Pete

Pete27540, Jun 4, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Jun 4, 2017
  7. Pete27540 Win User
    Thanks. I installed the update as you suggested, then rebooted as directed. The Taskbar was populated. Thinking this was too good to be true, I restarted to see if it was still there. Unfortunately the Taskbar was gone.
    Pete

Pete27540, Jun 4, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Just curious- did you use Windows update? (No relevance in that to the unfortunate taskbar issue).

dalchina, Jun 4, 2017
  9. Pete27540 Win User
    Yes. This is what was installed.
    Pete
    2017-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4020102)

Pete27540, Jun 5, 2017
  10. lmaneke Win User
    Is there a possibility that your auto hide taskbar option is turned on?

lmaneke, Jun 5, 2017
  11. Pete27540 Win User
    No that's turned off.
    My wife's Toshiba laptop just a major update. Now her taskbar is empty too. Sooner or later Microsoft will figure this out. We have a temporary fix that's fairly easy to every morning.
    Thanks to all.
    Pete

Pete27540, Jun 5, 2017
  12. dalchina New Member
    A couple of ideas - which may or may not be relevant- just from reading around:
    1. Try CTRL + ESC

2. Check for this entry
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
    -the value of Shell should be “Explorer.exe”. If it is not, then change it, or else if you don’t have that value name, create it. After that, restart.

My Taskbar is missing and I have no Start button. What do I do? - Ask Leo!

dalchina, Jun 5, 2017
  13. A fix for the disappearing Taskbar

Are you using a third party program to get a Windows 7 like start menu? Or something similar to organise the start menu? Or a third party taskbar modifying program to a quick launch or similar?

alphanumeric, Jun 5, 2017
  14. Pete27540 Win User
    No nothing unusual

Pete

Pete27540, Jun 5, 2017
  15. Pete27540 Win User
    In which folder might this be. Opening the registry with regedit, I have HKEY_Classes,
    HKEY_current user,
    HKEY_local_machine, HKEY_Users, and HKEY_Current_Config.

Pete

Pete27540, Jun 5, 2017
Thema:

1. A fix for the disappearing Taskbar - Similar Threads - fix disappearing Taskbar

2. How do I fix the Taskbar disappearing?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I fix the Taskbar disappearing?: My taskbar sometimes disappears replaced with a black bar, and my entire desktop behind my apps is blacked out as well when my computer is working with heavy files and wont come back until I restart my computer 2-3 times. I would submit a screenshot from one of the numerous...
  3. How do I fix the Taskbar disappearing?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I fix the Taskbar disappearing?: My taskbar sometimes disappears replaced with a black bar, and my entire desktop behind my apps is blacked out as well when my computer is working with heavy files and wont come back until I restart my computer 2-3 times. I would submit a screenshot from one of the numerous...
  4. How do I fix the Taskbar disappearing?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Taskbar Disappearance

Taskbar Disappearance: I updated Windows and signed in again, this time, my taskbar was gone. I force restarted and it reappeared, is this anything to worry about or just a bug? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-disappearance/3339f309-6c76-4032-9093-1da7b5489532
  6. taskbar disappearing

taskbar disappearing: I have my taskbar set to auto hide so i can get that small bet of screen space to use but sometimes when I'm just browsing on edge the taskbar completely disappears as if the browser itself takes focus over it. If I take the browser window and move it around it clearly shows...
  7. taskbar disappeared

in Windows 10 Gaming
    taskbar disappeared: My taskbar with my start button has disappeared where can I find it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-disappeared/3be6b155-72a8-49f1-925e-f41186d6514c
  8. taskbar disappeared

taskbar disappeared: My taskbar with my start button has disappeared where can I find it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/taskbar-disappeared/3be6b155-72a8-49f1-925e-f41186d6514c
  9. taskbar disappeared

in Windows 10 Customization
  10. Taskbar disappeared.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar disappeared.: Not sure I have this under the the correct 'classification' as I'm pretty close to a Luddite, but today my taskbar has stopped displaying when I have my internet windows up [Google Chrome]. Previously I had finally got it to hide and show when I scrolled down to the bottom of...