Windows 10: A gamer's dream Windows 10 on PS4?

Discus and support A gamer's dream Windows 10 on PS4? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Hello! I noticed that the PlayStation 4 has similar specifications to a PC, so I wonder if there would be a way to install Windows 10 on it. Of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by spapakons, Nov 8, 2015.

1. spapakons Win User

A gamer's dream Windows 10 on PS4?

Hello!

I noticed that the PlayStation 4 has similar specifications to a PC, so I wonder if there would be a way to install Windows 10 on it. Of course I would try that on a spare disk, so if it doesn't work I would just connect the original disk back and forget about it. I know that probably Sony has disabled booting from the BD drive and the key combination to enter BIOS or change boot order is restricted to authorized technicians only. But we could partially install Windows 10 64-bit on a spare hard disk, using the imagex utility as described here. This is like running the setup and just before the first restart. So when we put the disk in the PS4, it will hopefully boot and resume Windows 10 Setup to the next stage. As for drivers, if Windows Update cannot find them all, we could try the latest chipset and graphics drivers directly from AMD. If successful the gamer would play either PS4 games booting from the original disk, or PC games booting from the spare into Windows 10. He could even use it as a normal PC.

Yes, it sounds crazy, but what do your think?

:)

spapakons, Nov 8, 2015

2. windows 10 gaming

i love windows , like windows 10 pro, can i expect a gamer edition like: windows 10 gamer

adityavarman, Nov 8, 2015
  3. What does Microsoft have against gamers ?

The best Version ever was XP a very gamer friendly OS . Why cant it stay on the market for Gamers or adapt windows 10 to be more gamer friendly .

CharlesCales, Nov 8, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

What do you mean no? Could you please explain why you think this is not possible? Have you tried it? I think it might be possible since PS4 hardware is very similar to a PC and since using the imagex utility bypasses the need to boot from the BD-ROM drive which is probably disabled. Of course there may be other thing I haven't though of, that's the purpose of this thread. To see all possibilities and judge if it can it can't be done. I would just try that, if I had my own PS4 and post the results here, but I haven't. However, I am more than curious to find out (as I believe many others are). *Smile

spapakons, Nov 8, 2015
  5. badrobot Win User
    Why do you wanna do that? for what purpose? It's a complete waste of energy if you don't have a good reason. You are better off buying a $70 windows 10 tablet and connect it to a bigger monitor.
    I have a PS4 but I have never thought of a good reason why I would even consider the idea.

badrobot, Nov 8, 2015
  6. pparks1 Win User
    Um, drivers will be your issue. Dont think they make drivers for the PS4 hardware to run Windows 10.

Then, the cpu has a protected pipeline capable of only running sonys encypted code with their private keys.

pparks1, Nov 8, 2015
  7. badrobot Win User
    The only thing gamers dream of right now is the Oculus Rift.

badrobot, Nov 8, 2015
  8. spapakons Win User

I want to find out if it is possible. I would do it for the challenge and for economic reasons! It would be great for a parent to just buy a PS4 to their children (and also use it as a PC) than buy both a PS4 and a PC. As for drivers, I bet they are standard AMD stuff, so I would install latest APU or whatever driver and would be OK. In worst case I would have to manually force/install the closest model.

spapakons, Nov 8, 2015
  9. pparks1 Win User
    Knock yourself out. Like I said, unless you find an exoit around the protected execution in the CPU, you are already dead in the water. Google your question and the only answer you will find is no, or NO, or NO NO, NO

pparks1, Nov 8, 2015
  10. badrobot Win User
    Are you just trying to find reasons for your dad to get you a PS4? It wouldn't be economical. But it is a known fact the games and graphics are better on PCs. So there you go, get a normal PC with Windows 10 and your problem is solved.

https://goo.gl/photos/89ATRv14teKTFt1y5

badrobot, Nov 8, 2015
  11. ixian Win User
    No, you will not get this to work. Yes, you are wasting time on the internet posting about it *Smile

ixian, Nov 8, 2015
  12. MrNeeds Win User
    I'm leaning toward agreeing with Badrobot, It actually would be cheaper to buy a PC (albeit an older one) to play games, check out my system, it runs most games on medium settings at 1080p which is better than PS4 already, and i'm sure there are PC's out there at a better pricepoint with better specs.

MrNeeds, Nov 9, 2015
  13. spapakons Win User

The point here is to find out if installing Windows 10 on a PS4, using any method, is possible. I know the obvious, to buy a new PC. I just want to know. I wish I had a PS4 to try myself, but I don't have, and I certainly don't buy just to test it. Anyone having a PS4 can disconnect the original HDD, put a spare and try. If it doesn't work, then no harm done. Connect back the original disk and that's it. But if it does work, it would be interesting to share the experience here. I know almost everyone on Google says it doesn't work, but the problem is they haven't tried! Just speculating. So I have a remote hope it can be done.

spapakons, Nov 9, 2015
  14. ixian Win User
    You honestly believe that in the 2 years the PS4 has been on the market this has never been tried, and there's a chance some random person today is now going to pop in a different HDD (which people do all the time) and it might work with Windows or any other OS? You really believe that? Follow your thought process out to the logical conclusion.

Or are you just trolling? Because you aren't making any sense whatsoever.

ixian, Nov 9, 2015
  15. TheZeeMan Win User
    I'm not messing with my PS4, but I can speculate that it probably is running some homegrown sony version of linux. Back in the days when the original xbox came out, I gandered a bit into it since it was also a PC in that time. Guess what, it also ran linux, an MS version of BSD if I recall. The best I could do is run a hacked version so I could run XBMC for my "entertainment" purposes. Consoles are strictly for console gaming, nothing more. Sure you can view the web and other very simple tasks, but that's all they will ever be capable of. If anyone is going to run windows on a console, it will be on the xbox, but its not powerful enough, and no one will really want to buy a console + pc for $1000+ when it's geared towards casual consumers.

TheZeeMan, Nov 9, 2015
Thema:

1. A gamer's dream Windows 10 on PS4? - Similar Threads - gamer's dream PS4

2. gamer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    gamer: graphics setting https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/gamer/10fd553c-b8dd-49e3-aee2-a9b2db6345fc
  3. Powering the Dreams of Gamers with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S

in Windows 10 News
    Powering the Dreams of Gamers with Xbox Series X and Xbox Series S: [media] Made from Dreams This week marks a year since the world was introduced to the Xbox Series X and Power Your Dreams. Since then, we’ve explored the possibilities of the next generation of gaming and, in the past few weeks, experienced the...
  4. Windows 10 gamer edition ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 gamer edition ?: it's true microsoft is going to release a windows 10 edition specifically designed for pc gamers? if yes when microsoft is going to release it?! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-gamer-edition/b4a9a343-d40f-47ea-9074-3e2bdfbb1c93
  5. HDMI sweet dream

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI sweet dream: My Plex on my Win 7 PC has quit working, so I am using the hdmi ports from pc to tv to watch videos. It works fairly well. At first the only sound I could get was from PC speakers (it was ok but not as good as if it came from the tv). It seems to have fixed itself now....
  6. Windows 10 Educational for gamers

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 Educational for gamers: I’ve installed Windows 10 Educational but I don’t have a product key. I want to play game so my question is it good for gaming purposes? Do I need to install Windows 10 Home?...
  7. Windows 10 gamer edition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 gamer edition: Nem hamis? No dangerous and virus? http://igetintopc.com/windows-10-gamer-edition-2018-free-download/ https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-gamer-edition/9cfc8e9f-8422-454f-93c8-57bd22342aed
  8. Avermedia live gamer hd ps4 problem no device detected

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Avermedia live gamer hd ps4 problem no device detected: Hi, I just purchased the Avermedia Live Gamer HD internal card to record my pd4 gameplay. I connected my computer to my ps4 via hdmi just as the instructions say to. I keep getting an error message that says," nodevice detected" when I open the Avermedia software. please...
  9. Windows 10 is empowering developers to dream again

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 is empowering developers to dream again: Yesterday Terry showed you how Windows 10 will usher in a new generation of Windows by powering innovation and more personal computing across the largest range of devices, including Microsoft Surface Hub and the world’s first holographic computing platform; Microsoft...
  10. Windows 10 Patch Strategy: IT Dream Or Nightmare?

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10 Patch Strategy: IT Dream Or Nightmare?: "Windows 10 isn't for all of us, but for each of us." That's the tagline Microsoft is using to convey that Windows 10 won't cater to one particular group of users. Instead, it will be able to conform to how we individually use the system to fit our unique needs. For...