Windows 10: A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

Discus and support A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; Here is a quick guide how to run ubuntu 18.04 in enhance mode in Hyper-V. EDIT: This is not working on release version! Something has changed. I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Mar 30, 2018.

1. cereberus Win User

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V

Here is a quick guide how to run ubuntu 18.04 in enhance mode in Hyper-V.

EDIT: This is not working on release version! Something has changed. I see it has been reported - I guess we need to wait.

Please guys, do not add any comments about Virtualbox or VMware being better. Start a new thread if you wish to discuss that. The aim here is to get constructive comments about the Hyper-V mode that can be fed back to developers. I will ask @Brink to remove any such irrelevant comments.

It is actually quite easy to do.

It is based on this blog, but there are a couple of differences as that was based on 16.04

Sneak Peek: Taking a Spin with Enhanced Linux VMs | Virtualization Blog

Running in enhanced mode on SCU 1803 (will not work on FCU 1709) allows you to :-

a) resize screens

b) cut and paste text from host and vice versa

c) access native wndows drives

Steps are as follows:-

1) Download Ubuntu 18.04 iso, and install it in hyper-V as generation 1 vm. I will assume install is named Ubuntu1804 - you need name in Step 4

http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/ubu...ktop-amd64.iso

Be patient installing - it is very slow, even with minimal install!

2) Optional but worth doing - modify the screen resolution as the default resolution in hyper-v is rather odd, especially for laptops.

From within the Ubuntu virtual machine, open Terminal.

Type sudo vi /etc/default/grub (or use nano instead of vi)

Find GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

Modify it as follows:-

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash video=hyperv_fb:1366x768"

I set it here for my laptop 1366x768 - change as appropriate.

Reboot Unbuntu VM

3) Modify ubuntu 18.04 to use xrdp

#Get the scripts from GitHub

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt install git

$ git clone GitHub - jterry75/xrdp-init ~/xrdp-init

#Make the scripts executable and run them...

$ cd ~/xrdp-init/ubuntu/18.04/

$ sudo chmod +x install.sh

$ sudo ./install.sh

VM will reboot now after script has been executed.

#Run script again to finish setting up VM

$ cd ~/xrdp-init/ubuntu/18.04/

$ sudo ./install.sh

Shutdown Ubuntu VM. I use Hyper-V shutdown.

4) Run this command on host PC using powershell with admin rights

Set-VM -VMName Ubuntu1804 -EnhancedSessionTransportType HvSocket

(change vmname as appropriate from Step 1). Put name in double quotes if spaces in name

5) Restart VM, and you the get the familiar enhanced mode screen

Important:- UNCHECK Printers in local resources. There is a bug at the moment and if you leave it checked, you cannot see host drives you select.

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V [​IMG]

If you forget, close down VM AND the VMCONNECT SESSION - do not restart same VMCONNECT session or else the enhanced mode screen does not pop up.

6) You will then get the xrdp login screen, and enter username - must be lowercase.

It will now run it in enhanced mode.

Cut and Paste works now.

Shared Host Drives are now visible - 16.04 fails.

A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V [​IMG]

:)

cereberus, Mar 30, 2018

2. Can I dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu on the same drive without partitioning

That sounds like a much better option, or you can also use cygwin or something.

Ubuntu in a VM
    such as
    Hyper-V
    is also an option if you need the actual OS.

RobertJWin, Mar 30, 2018
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Unable to install fall creators update 1709

Oh i see.

I use Ubuntu on a VM.

Windows 10 has Hyper-V so you can download Ubuntu and create a Ubuntu VM.

More work yes, but i like it because it is more isolated too.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-run-linux-di...

SarahKong, Mar 30, 2018
  4. Cliff S New Member

Thanks cereberus, I bookmarked this to my tutorials folder, so I can try this after the spring update on my system(only my VM is insider).
    Plus this post subs me to the thread.

I use my Ubuntu VM daily, so this is important to me.

Cliff S, Mar 30, 2018
  5. lx07 Win User
    Where is the link?

I read it a couple of days ago and can't find any more. I'm assuming you are talking about next version of Ubuntu on insider Windows...

EDIT: OK got it - your post makes more sense now but do use
    Code:
     tags if you can.

I also think you shouldn't post to this forum using Chrome - it comes out gobbledygook.

Thank you for this anyway - it is something fun to play with.

6. cereberus Win User

cereberus, Mar 30, 2018
  7. lx07 Win User
    Got it - thanks. Am trying It now.

8. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    @cereberus Thanks !!!

Just a note to people installing Ubuntu 18.XX

Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Release Date and New Features

LTS date for 18.04 is now out (Apr 26) so people might want to hold off building a "Daily use" type VM until then.

Otherwise thanks for great tutorial.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 30, 2018
  9. cereberus Win User
    I must admit, I dislike the new style desktop. I have yet to work out how to keep taskbar permanently on desk top rather than clicking the applications button in top left. I have no idea what that vertical toolbar on right is?

cereberus, Mar 30, 2018
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there
    @cereberus

that's why I'm using the KDE desktop (install the plasma desktop) I tested it with 17.XX and will certainly try HYPER-V with the new release when it comes out.

I'm a bit reluctant to test it currently with HYPER-V as the final release might still throw up glitches (although this near final it "Should work"). Will certainly download on Apr 26 and test then.

Anyway cheers and enjoy rest of Easter Holiday

jimbo

jimbo45, Mar 30, 2018
  11. GalaxyGe Win User
    thanks for the great tutorial, highly appreciated!!
    bar on the right may be the one to maintain the virtual desktops, you can switch between desktops and move windows around between them and active desktop.

GalaxyGe, Mar 30, 2018
  12. cereberus Win User
    Yeah - it looks like that.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. A guide how to run Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V - Similar Threads - guide run Ubuntu

2. How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V: Before posting, i read from learn.microsoft about Hyper-V, i have also read most of "Introduction to Hyper-V on Windows 10" pdf as well.However i am missing something..The thing goes like this:I have a Win10 Pro desktop. and want to use Hyper-V to install linux OS.From the...
  3. How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V: Before posting, i read from learn.microsoft about Hyper-V, i have also read most of "Introduction to Hyper-V on Windows 10" pdf as well.However i am missing something..The thing goes like this:I have a Win10 Pro desktop. and want to use Hyper-V to install linux OS.From the...
  4. How to force enhanced session mode on Hyper V

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    How to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V: It is possible to get sound for Ubuntu in Hyper-V. See mini guide I have written in elevenforum.com How to get sound on Ubuntu in Hyper-V | Windows 11 Forum 183275
  6. Hyper-V Enhanced Mode issues

Hyper-V Enhanced Mode issues: On my Windows 10 Pro 18363 I have built 3 VM in Hyper-V 2 Windows 10 pro machines 1 Ubuntu At first, there was no issue at all, when starting the machines I'd get the Enhanced Mode dialog box, I'd choose full screen and everything worked fine. I was able to use the VM for...
  7. Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error

Hyper-V/Ubuntu 10.04 Installation/Error: I recently purchased a Dell XPS 15, 9550, 6700HQ, W10P, 16Gig, non-touch, refurb computer. I re-partitioned the SSD drive, creating among other things drive 'R' of about 97 Gig. R was not reformatted - it is NTFS. Using another computer, I downloaded Ubuntu 10.04.LTS ISO...
  8. Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v

Cannot Install Ubuntu 17.04 in Hyper-v: I am trying to install Ubuntu 1704 through Hyper V. It seems to go easily until I select the command to go ahead and install Ubuntu. Then things go wrong. I get the following error messages as shown in the attachment. It says that file...
  9. Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v

Installing Ubuntu in VM using hyper-v: Apologies for the very basic question, but this is my first attempt at creating a virtual machine within Windows 10 pro using hyper-v. I have created a VM, and during the process allocated a drive/folder for that VM, and selected the Linux iso file that should be installed....
  10. Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10: How to: Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10 How to Turn On or Off Hyper-V Enhanced Session Mode in Windows 10 Hyper-V enables running virtualized computer systems on top of a physical host. These virtualized systems (aka: guests) can be used and...
Tags:

Users found this page by searching for:

1. ubuntu 18.04 runs on windows 10 hyper-v with enhanced session mode

2. hyper-v ubuntu 18.04 enhanced mode

3. ubuntu hyper v tablet mode

4. hyper-v enhanced mode ubuntu install,
  5. ubuntu hyper-v enhanced mode,
  6. ubuntu 19 enhanced mode hyperv,
  7. ubuntu hyper-v enhanced,
  8. hyper-v ubuntu 18.04 upgrade blue screen,
  9. Ubuntu 18.04 in Enhanced Mode in Hyper-V,
  10. ubuntu 18.04 enable enhaced session hyper-v,