Windows 10: A hard drive is invisible to disc management

Discus and support A hard drive is invisible to disc management in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Simply does not even appear anywhere in any program in win 10. However drive appears in the bios. Using Ubuntu drive appears in gparted and disks, and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by sdowney717, Jan 2, 2019.

1. A hard drive is invisible to disc management

Simply does not even appear anywhere in any program in win 10.
    However drive appears in the bios.
    Using Ubuntu drive appears in gparted and disks, and I can create and delete partitions on it.

The history of the drive, it recently had a severe boot problem, and I copied most of all my data off. If I tried to boot win7 or ubuntu from it, it error-ed, for windows saying ' a disk read error has occurred'. However in the ubuntu file manager all the files are there and can be copied.

Is there a program that can show the drive in windows 10? I think, when win10 boots, it somehow rejects the drive as a drive.

:)

sdowney717, Jan 2, 2019

2. Hard drive filled with invisible files.

My C:\ drive, which holds the Windows 10 OS, programs data/files and a little bit of user data, shows that I have used roughly 600gb of space (first image below) on a 1TB SSD. When I use WinDirStat to see what's on that drive, it shows that I have about 120gb of data on it (second image). Could someone kindly suggest what could be taking up 480gb of space—and why it is invisible to WinDirStat. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

A hard drive is invisible to disc management [​IMG]

A hard drive is invisible to disc management [​IMG]

Slow Processor, Jan 2, 2019
  3. SarahKong Win User
    Invisible Files on Hard Drive

Have you tried going to a command prompt and listing them?

To do this go to search and type command prompt then right click it and select Run as Administrator.

Once open type the driver letter to select, so for example if the drive letter is d you would type.

D:

Then type the following

dir

That will show you a list of what is in the drive.

if you want to get to a folder that's in the drive do this.

cd foldername

If you can see the files then i would copy them to a folder on another hard drive until you get that drive back in working order.

Also This maybe an issue with your drivers.

Try these steps.

UNPLUG YOUR USB DRIVES FIRST

Select the Start button, type Device Manager, and select it from the list of results.

Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers then right-click USB Root hub, and select Update Delete

Restart your PC and Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver.

SarahKong, Jan 2, 2019
  4. WOT
    WOT Win User

A hard drive is invisible to disc management

Thema:

A hard drive is invisible to disc management

1. A hard drive is invisible to disc management - Similar Threads - hard drive invisible

2. Space on hard drive being used by invisible files…?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Space on hard drive being used by invisible files…?: I factory reset my computer cause I planned on starting fresh because the everything is so disorganized but when I did it wiped everything like I wanted it too but it still says that my hard drive is using like 800gb worth of files but there’s nothing there? I tried to...
  3. usb drive not showing in device manager or disc management

in Windows 10 Gaming
    usb drive not showing in device manager or disc management: when i plug in my flash drive it doesn't show in the finder. when i attempt to resolve the issue which requires me to find the drive with device manager/ disc management the drive isn't shown in either. the port is working because i can see other flash drives i plug into it....
  4. usb drive not showing in device manager or disc management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    usb drive not showing in device manager or disc management: when i plug in my flash drive it doesn't show in the finder. when i attempt to resolve the issue which requires me to find the drive with device manager/ disc management the drive isn't shown in either. the port is working because i can see other flash drives i plug into it....
  5. usb drive not showing in device manager or disc management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. hard disc

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard disc: i bought a windows 10 machine and hadon C:Drive 117 gb of hard drive, i also have an extra on new Volume of E:Drive 1.36 TB my Question is i am running out on my C:Drive, HOW DO I GET TO USE THE E:Drive which holds 1.36 TB. i can not get to it as it will not let me get in...
  7. Hard disc drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard disc drive: how do I access this https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-disc-drive/c22b4328-29eb-4520-8d3c-b63f5b5a27e7"
  8. Regarding Hard Disc Drive Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Regarding Hard Disc Drive Partition: Hi Team, I just bought this Lenovo 330 i3 7th Gen laptop, which comes with pre-installed genuine windows 10 and doesn't come with a DVD Drive. so when I opened the laptop and chose all the languages and things I saw that in my "This PC" option there was already a "C drive"...
  9. A hard drive is invisible to disc management

in Windows 10 Support
    A hard drive is invisible to disc management: Simply does not even appear anywhere in any program in win 10. However drive appears in the bios. Using Ubuntu drive appears in gparted and disks, and I can create and delete partitions on it. The history of the drive, it recently had a severe boot problem, and I copied most...
  10. Hard drive filled with invisible files.

in Windows 10 Support
    Hard drive filled with invisible files.: My C:\ drive, which holds the Windows 10 OS, programs data/files and a little bit of user data, shows that I have used roughly 600gb of space (first image below) on a 1TB SSD. When I use WinDirStat to see what's on that drive, it shows that I have about 120gb of data on it...