Windows 10: A HDD shows 2 logical partitions attached to the same physical partition

Discus and support A HDD shows 2 logical partitions attached to the same physical partition in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was given a HDD to fix a problem but i cant find the solution. In the volumes it shows 2 logical partitions named RECOVERY (D:) and that is actually... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by patedi, Nov 17, 2018.

1. patedi Win User

A HDD shows 2 logical partitions attached to the same physical partition

I was given a HDD to fix a problem but i cant find the solution. In the volumes it shows 2 logical partitions named RECOVERY (DA HDD shows 2 logical partitions attached to the same physical partition :)

and that is actually one of the partitions of the disk i was given BUT both volumes have the same name and are attached to the same partition (when you click either of them it highligts the same partition of the disk). NOTE there is only ONE physical partition named RECOVERY (DA HDD shows 2 logical partitions attached to the same physical partition :) and it's not split into two with the same name! how do i get rid off the unnecessery one?

:)

patedi, Nov 17, 2018

2. Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

A HDD shows 2 logical partitions attached to the same physical partition partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Nov 17, 2018
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Nov 17, 2018
  4. A HDD shows 2 logical partitions attached to the same physical partition

To Partition HDD or not?

Partition the HDD with PRIMARY not logical partitions.

Why?

1. Organisation
    2. Better, faster, defragmentation
    3. Easier to backup or copy specific partitions
    4. If you have a drive problem, SEPARATE PRIMARY partitions are easier to recover and are essentially ringfenced. (unless fail is catastrophic)
    5. With separate partitions (into separate drive letters) you save yourself one level hierarchy in your directory/folder structure. IMO that is neater AND faster at the command line or search across a network

I use d:/ for data
    And g:/ for games
    And m:/ for media (music and video)
    And s:/ for setup files

Completely Bonkers, Nov 17, 2018
Thema:

A HDD shows 2 logical partitions attached to the same physical partition

1. A HDD shows 2 logical partitions attached to the same physical partition - Similar Threads - HDD shows logical

2. Installing windows on a logical partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing windows on a logical partition: Hello Microsoft community,I recently wanted to dualboot Windows Vista and Linux on my old Linux computer. When I got the ISO file and flashed it to a USB drive, went through a regular Windows Vista installation process all the drives were detected by setup and opted to...
  3. Installing windows on a logical partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing windows on a logical partition: Hello Microsoft community,I recently wanted to dualboot Windows Vista and Linux on my old Linux computer. When I got the ISO file and flashed it to a USB drive, went through a regular Windows Vista installation process all the drives were detected by setup and opting to...
  4. Recover Deleted Logical Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recover Deleted Logical Partition: After installing the SSD hard drive in my laptop and installing new Windows 10 21h1 version in it, I added the empty space in the HDD, which was unallocated, to one of the partitions in HDD, and HDD became a dynamic diskto convert dynamic to basic, I shrink the partition that...
  5. Recover Deleted Logical Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recover Deleted Logical Partition: After installing the SSD hard drive in my laptop and installing new Windows 10 21h1 version in it, I added the empty space in the HDD, which was unallocated, to one of the partitions in HDD, and HDD became a dynamic diskto convert dynamic to basic, I shrink the partition that...
  6. Recover Deleted Logical Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. HDD Partition Not Showing Up

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Partition Not Showing Up: Yesterday, I changed my motherboard and CPU and upgrade to Windows 10. Fortunately, that all went over without a hitch. Today, I installed my 4 TB HDD, my second hard drive from my "old" PC, into the rig. On that old computer with Windows 7, the 4 TB HDD had been split...
  8. 2 of the same partition in disk manager?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    2 of the same partition in disk manager?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/nikkes91 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gqpirk/2_of_the_same_partition_in_disk_manager/
  9. partition on HDD is showing unallocated

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    partition on HDD is showing unallocated: Hello all, I recently upgraded my main HD to a SSD. After i was sure i could boot off my new drive i reformatted my old C: drive. It was previously partitioned, and wanted just one drive for extra storage, so i removed it and was going to try and combine them. After i...
  10. How to convert primary partitions to logical partition

in Windows 10 Support
    How to convert primary partitions to logical partition: I have four primary partitions (System, C: , D: , E: ) and some free space in my Win10 laptop. Now, I want to make create an extended partition which will hold C, D & E as logical partition. How can I do it without loosing data (i don't have a spare hard disk where I can...