Windows 10: A little mess-up with user accounts

Discus and support A little mess-up with user accounts in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Well, things were great for a while but the honeymoon is over and my user accounts are now quite messed up. It took one click to get me into this mess,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by mediaman09, Aug 6, 2015.

1. A little mess-up with user accounts

Well, things were great for a while but the honeymoon is over and my user accounts are now quite messed up. It took one click to get me into this mess, perhaps one click to get me out?? ; I really would like to avoid a clean install so soon!

Up to an hour ago things were great. I has two sign-in accounts:

1) An outlook account, all my desktop icons, signing in with L: john.smith@outlook.com, with profile files under \users\john
    2) A local account, clean desktop, signing in my mylocal, with profile files inder \users\mylocal

I had forgotten I had a local account , so I went ahead an created one (ironically I do this in case a profile gets corrupt and I need another way to get in to my pc)...and in the process, I ended up in the wrong area, where it "switched" my outlook account to a local account.

So now its all messed up and reversed and I have:

1) An outlook account, clean desktop. signing in with L: john.smith@outlook.com, with profile files under users\mylocal
    2) A local account, all desktop icon, signing in as Admin, with profile files under \users\john

Can I correct/reverse what I did and get back to where I was ??

:)

mediaman09, Aug 6, 2015

2. how can I separate my hotmail contacts and my phone contacts, seems they all mixed up?

If you go to email+accounts, how many accounts do you see? This information could tell us a little more as to why your contacts are all messed up.

Jay_answers, Aug 6, 2015
  3. AndreePin Win User
    user accounts messed up in windows 10

Hi,

For us to get a better grasp of your query, kindly provide us the following below:

• What is the error you that you get whenever you try to an another user?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you applied?
    • What changes were made prior to the issue?
    In the meantime, kindly refer to this link for adding a new user into your computer.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

AndreePin, Aug 6, 2015
  4. A little mess-up with user accounts

Is it as 'simple' as going to the current local account only, and start the process of "Sign in with a Microsoft account instead" ?

mediaman09, Aug 6, 2015
  5. linw Win User
    Don't think of accounts as local or MS.

You have two accounts under users, John and mylocal. You can login in to either using the local or MS a/c.

Just choose what login you want under Accounts.

linw, Aug 6, 2015
  6. Thanks, Understood, and that's almost how I think of it. Usually I have one account for outlook.com, and a different local account with no email address.

But as you can see from my original post, , the outlook account is no longer pointing to the right user settings. Recall, my outlook signin this morning booted to my full set of desktop icons, whereas now, that same outlook login does not.

I will re-flip it back and see if that brings me back to normal.

if it doesn't, I will delete all the user accounts and start over. Fortunately i only keep user profiles under \users ( my real user data is elsewhere) and only use outlook.com to mirror my real mail, calendar (all with my ISP and Google). Seems I should be able to avoid a windows reinstall.

mediaman09, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

A little mess-up with user accounts

1. A little mess-up with user accounts - Similar Threads - little mess user

2. User profiles messed up

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User profiles messed up: Hi, Suddenly some of my user profile standard folders are now nested in the OneDrive folder. How want to change the folder paths back to the local username folder? Why it's happening?...
  3. Really messed up user accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Really messed up user accounts: My laptop is running Windows 10 Home. I was trying to create an additional user account and somehow messed up my main account. It appears that instead of creating a new account I told it to log into my windows account with a local account instead of my Microsoft account. What...
  4. Really messed up user accounts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Really messed up user accounts: My laptop is running Windows 10 Home. I was trying to create an additional user account and somehow messed up my main account. It appears that instead of creating a new account I told it to log into my windows account with a local account instead of my Microsoft account. What...
  5. Really messed up user accounts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. messed up user accounts

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    messed up user accounts: ok, got a win 10 pc for a friends mum from ebay. It came with the only account called User. I added another local account I then seen a video on YT to right click the start button, computer management, local user & groups and rename Administrator account to what i needed,...
  7. User Account Messed up after Upgrade

User Account Messed up after Upgrade: I was working on a friend's PC yesterday and could not get a windows update to install.This update was a upgrade from v1909 Build 18363.628 to the latest v19041.450.I used the Microsoft Windows 10 Update Assistant to do this upgrade finally after the windows updates failed to...
  8. are my user accounts messed up?

are my user accounts messed up?: I'm not sure if I'm worrying for nothing, but here goes... I'm running Win10 ver 1909 (build 18363-959) on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I was logged into my "steve" account - which is an admin account. I saved a picture from Ifranview64 to the Documents folder. Going online...
  9. are my user accounts messed up?

in Windows 10 Support
    are my user accounts messed up?: I'm not sure if I'm worrying for nothing, but here goes... I'm running Win10 ver 1909 (build 18363-959) on a Toshiba Satellite laptop. I was logged into my "steve" account - which is an admin account. I saved a picture from Ifranview64 to the Documents folder. Going online...
  10. User account mess up

in Windows 10 Support
    User account mess up: Interesting problem yesterday. I was logged in on a local account without password. I went to the accounts settings to select the option to switch to an MS account. No such option. But there was an option to select a local account! Whaaat?? I restarted comp and it hung....