Windows 10: A look at Open Shell (Classic Shell fork)

Discus and support A look at Open Shell (Classic Shell fork) in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Open Shell is a fork of the popular discontinued Classic Shell program for Windows that may restore a classic Start Menu, Explorer and Internet... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Sep 5, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

A look at Open Shell (Classic Shell fork)

Open Shell is a fork of the popular discontinued Classic Shell program for Windows that may restore a classic Start Menu, Explorer and Internet Explorer shell on the system.

Classic Shell was a popular program for Windows that restored functionality in Windows versions that Microsoft discontinued. The program rose in popularity after the initial release of Windows 8 as users preferred to work with a regular Start Menu and not the Start interface that Microsoft tried to push down everyone's throat.

Classic Shell was not the only program that saw a surge in user numbers as Start Menu programs were downloaded in record numbers.

The lead developer of Classic Shell announced in 2017 that he would quit development. He decided to publish the source code of the program to give other developers the chance to fork the program and continue development.

One of the first forks was called Classic Start. The first version of Classic Start was released in June 2018 and a first development released followed in the same month. The program was renamed to Open Shell in September 2018 when a first stable version was released.

A look at Open Shell (Classic Shell fork) open-shell.png

The project is not dead as work on Nightly versions continues. Users may download and install these Nightly versions which are linked on the main GitHub page; it is not recommended to install these on production machines because though.

I downloaded the latest release version of Open Shell, version 4.4.131, and installed it on a system running the latest Windows 10 20H1 Insider build. Installation went through without issues. The classic Start Menu was restored after installation and most features worked just fine during the test.

I was able to change the Start Menu layout and make modifications to it. Some features did not work properly in that version, however. I was not able to change the taskbar design nor disable breadcrumbs in File Explorer.

One reason that the original developer of the program gave for quitting the project after all those years was that the Windows 10 update interval was too high. Granted, running Classic Shell on an Insider version of Windows 10 that won't be out for another six or so months is not entirely fair.

I decided to run it on a recent Windows 10 version 1903 build to find out whether it would have less bugs. The issues that I experienced on the Windows 10 20H1 machine were experienced on the Windows 10 version 1903 PC as well.

Considering that the latest stable version of Open Shell was released before Microsoft released Windows 10 version 1903, it did not come as a surprise that the issues were experienced in that version as well.

I downloaded the Nightly version of Open Shell to find out if the issues were resolved in that version; this was not the case unfortunately.

Closing Words

Open Shell suffers from Microsoft's fast paced development and the changes that the company makes to new versions of Windows 10. If you run earlier versions of Windows, you won't notice these issues or bugs.

Users who run Windows 10 can still use Open Shell to restore a classic Start Menu and use most of the functionality that it provides. Bugs should be expected, however.

Now You: do you use Classic Shell / Open Shell or another program to restore classic functionality?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks/). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post A look at Open Shell (Classic Shell fork) appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Sep 5, 2019
  2. MiltonHey Win User

Classic Shell

I have just started up my 32 bit computer for the first time since an update to Win 10 Pro.

I tried to open a document using the Classic Shell start menu only to be informed that Windows update has uninstalled Classic Shell.

This is unauthorised interference with my property and not acceptable, The Win10 start menu is inefficient and not as versatile as the old style menus.

I demand my Classic Shell be reinstated.

MiltonHey, Sep 5, 2019
  3. I don't want Classic Shell on my hard-drive.

Hi Nickolas,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to assist you with the query.

Classic Shell is a freeware, formerly open-source software[4][6] for Microsoft Windows that restores several usability-oriented Windows user interface (shell) features, File Explorer features and Internet Explorer features which have been removed by
    Microsoft.

To uninstall Classic Shell, follow the below steps:

• Press Windows + X keys, and select Control Panel.

• Look for the Programs and Features.

• Click on the Programs and Features option to open it on a new window.

• Right-click on Classic Shell and choose
      Uninstall option.

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Abdul_Malik, Sep 5, 2019
  4. BulldogXX Win User

Classic Shell

One of my user accounts also uses Classic Shell, and it's never been uninstalled by a Windows 10 update. Install it again from the Classic Shell website.

BulldogXX, Sep 5, 2019
Thema:

1. A look at Open Shell (Classic Shell fork) - Similar Threads - Open Shell Classic

2. Classic shell

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Classic shell: Sorry if this has already been answered. I just got a Windows update, and now I lost my classic shell, and I really need it. I guess the update got rid of it. When I click on the start button, it just flashes. I have a new laptop and use Edge. Any help would be appreciated....
  3. Classic shell

in Windows 10 Support
    Classic shell: Sorry if this has already been answered. I just got a Windows update, and now I lost my classic shell, and I really need it. I guess the update got rid of it. When I click on the start button, it just flashes. I have a new laptop and use Edge. Any help would be appreciated....
  4. classic shell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    classic shell: what is the purpose of classic shell ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/classic-shell/65de2760-eb0a-4c92-9b25-76aadb23625d
  5. classic shell configuration

in Windows 10 Customization
    classic shell configuration: hi , I turn on my HP laptop entitled Splitx2 and the following two things happen; 1. I get a message that says " classic shell needs to configure itself for new operating system." 2. When I hit ok on that screen then a next one pops up and says "ADministrator has...
  6. Classic Shell to Classic Start

Classic Shell to Classic Start: I've used Classic Shell since I upgraded to Windows 10. It has been a lifesaver. The developer stopped supporting the program a couple of years age, but someone picked up on it and developed a fork called "Classic Start". Classic Shell is still working fine for me, but is...
  7. classic shell

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    classic shell: 1.classic shell needs to configure itself 2. an administrator has blocked you from running this ap. I have an HP notebook and keep getting the above messages every time I use my laptop and I would like to continue to use classic shell, and have tried unsuccessfully to sort...
  8. Open-Shell (Formerly Classic-Start)

Open-Shell (Formerly Classic-Start): Open-Shell (Formerly Classic-Start) 4.4.140 [ATTACH] [ATTACH] 139893
  9. Classic Shell in 11082

in Windows 10 Customization
    Classic Shell in 11082: Using Classic Shell 4.2.5 and Window 11082 and I can no longer open the native Windows start menu from Classic Shell. When I click on Start Menu (Windows) nothing happens. Anyone else seeing this behavior in 11082? 35658
  10. classic shell

classic shell: Well it doesn't work on W10 9975

Users found this page by searching for:

1. classic shell start menu exe

2. http://www.allaboutlifehacks.com/a-look-at-open-shell-classic-shell-fork/

3. open shell menu fork