Windows 10: A look at VX Search, a desktop search program for Windows

Discus and support A look at VX Search, a desktop search program for Windows in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; VX Search is a powerful desktop search program for Windows that is available as a free version and commercial versions. Windows Search, the built-in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Jul 10, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

A look at VX Search, a desktop search program for Windows

VX Search is a powerful desktop search program for Windows that is available as a free version and commercial versions.

Windows Search, the built-in search function of the Windows operating system, does not have the best of reputations. While it is good enough for launching programs, file searching is anything but enjoyable.

Third-party search programs offer a way out. All-time favorites like Everything or WizFile are lightning fast and very thorough when it comes to results.

VX Search

A look at VX Search, a desktop search program for Windows vx-search.png

VX Search is not slow either but the program's main strength is its functionality. Interested users can download the free (for home use) version of the search program from the developer website. The free version is limited to 500,000 file searches per search. Other features may also be limited, e.g. the number of search profiles that you may create.

The program is offered in 32-bit and 64-bit versions, and it is compatible with all versions of Windows starting with Windows XP.

The main program interface looks clean; you can start searches with a click on the button or open the options or layouts first to make adjustments before you start using it in earnest.

A look at VX Search, a desktop search program for Windows vx-search-options.png

The options list plenty of preferences that range from various logging and report options to enabling an ODBC interface and changing program shortcuts.

The Layouts and View buttons in the main interface change the look and feel of the program. Layouts switches between three different toolbar layouts that change the size of icons. View may be used to add or remove columns from file listings.

A click on Search options the search menu and you get an impression of the powerful features that VS Search offers right away. You may run one or multiple queries, select target locations that you want the program to search, and may set a number of rules, actions, and limits as well.

Search supports lots of parameters including searching by file name or extension, size, dates, text strings or hex code, or JPEG tags to name a few. These can be combined, e.g. to search for files with the .JPG extension that have "vacation" in the name and a size of at least 1 Megabyte.

Searches support single and multiple locations. You can run them on a single directory, a single hard drive, multiple folders, all hard drives, and even network locations.

The options list several interesting settings. You may use them to exclude directories from search, change the number of threads, and change the maximum number of search and display results. Actions allow you to create reports in various formats or to run custom commands.

VX Search lists all matching files and folders in the interface when you run searches. Each result is listed with its name, path, size, and modification date by default but you can add more columns or remove some to change the information.

Statistics offer an overview of the searched locations. VX Search displays the total number of directories and files of the selected locations, the total space, disk space of the found files, processing time, and information about errors.

A look at VX Search, a desktop search program for Windows file-information.png

A double-click on a file opens a detailed view. There you find options to open it with the default application or another program, or to open its directory. You may right-click on files in the results listing to display additional actions such as copying or moving the selected file or files, deleting them, or compressing them before moving or copying.

VX Search may create several charts, e.g. search results by extension, location, or last access time.

Another useful feature is the program's wizard as it makes available search profiles that you may run right away without configuration. You may use the wizard to find all files created or modified in the past week, files that were not accessed for a year, search large files used a long time ago, hidden files, or files with long file names.

VX Search supports the creation of custom search profiles that you can save to run them directly without any configuration.

Other features of interest are support for command line searches and regular expressions.

Closing Words

VX Search is a very powerful search program that you can automate to a degree. The free version is limited to 500,000 file searches per operation which limits its usefulness unfortunately. You cannot use it to search across an entire drive usually, e.g. C:, as you will run into the limit pretty quickly.

I'd give VX Search a five out of five it the limit would be higher or non-existent, but since it impacts searches significantly, I cannot give it more than 3 out of 5.

It is a great tool if you need to run searches that won't hit the limit or if you don't mind buying the Pro version as it raises the limit to 25 million files.

Now You: What is your favorite search program and why?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here (https://www.ghacks.net/support/) or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon (https://www.patreon.com/ghacks)). Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post A look at VX Search, a desktop search program for Windows appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Jul 10, 2019
  2. XeoNoX Win User

Looking for Website search engine submitting program

I just made a website and was looking for a good program that would submit my website to most of the major search engines.

If someone could please list some FREE ones as well as pay ones it would be nice. Thanks

XeoNoX, Jul 10, 2019
  3. rtwjunkie Win User
    Search Question

Which is why I suggested he try there instead. TPU is too limited of a user base to search here alone for anything gaming related.

rtwjunkie, Jul 10, 2019
  4. Arul_D Win User

Start Menu Search Not Displaying Local / Windows Programs

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience that you are unable to search Windows programs on your computer, we will help you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the below troubleshooting steps and check:

Method 1: Run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

If you're having problems locating specific files, folders, or other items on your computer, try using the Search and Indexing troubleshooter to fix the problem. It makes sure that the Windows Search service is running, and checks to see whether you
    have the correct permissions to search all the directories on your computer.

Follow the steps given below to run Search and Indexing Troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the Search box from the desktop.

• Select the Troubleshooting option.

• Select View All option and select the
      Search and Indexing

• Click on Next to perform the Search and Indexing troubleshooter and follow the steps.
    Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you.

Arul_D, Jul 10, 2019
Thema:

1. A look at VX Search, a desktop search program for Windows - Similar Threads - Search desktop search

2. Looking for Windows Explorer search codes?

in Cortana
    Looking for Windows Explorer search codes?: If you want it, come and get it:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/lwef/-search-2x-wds-aqsreferenceOne thing to note is if a parameter has >1 word, it should be entered as 1 word with no spaces in-between. For example, to search videos with a frame height >400,...
  3. Looking for my search bar in Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Looking for my search bar in Edge: Is there a way to add or display a search bar next to the address bar in Microsoft Edge? I have looked but haven't found an answer. Help! :- https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/looking-for-my-search-bar-in-edge/b7678238-4902-4041-86ff-68ecb16f14e0
  4. Search bar looking weird

in Windows 10 Customization
    Search bar looking weird: [ATTACH] This is what my search thing looks like, what happened? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/search-bar-looking-weird/2c83f2b5-ee2f-4914-8178-e7fffa613922
  5. Some of the program are not found when searching on search function

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some of the program are not found when searching on search function: I am finding myself in this situation where I can't seem to find the ordinary app that I use on the search, I have few programs like signal, simplenote and java eclipse that was easily accessible through search function. They are not showing, just the installation file. Even...
  6. Taskbar search automatically searchs for desktop

in Cortana
    Taskbar search automatically searchs for desktop: Now everytime i open the start menu the search box pastes the word desktop, in around 3 seconds, followed by enter- wich opens the remote desktop connection. Seems like a low effort hack job malware effect, but so far i couldn't find a virus, program or service responsible,...
  7. Type on Desktop to search

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Type on Desktop to search: Hi, iam searching for a function to activate the Windows search, if i type something while iam on the desktop. This would ease up my "searchflow" (does this exist? lol) alot because i have a certain key on my mouse mapped to show up the desktop and find it abit of a hassle to...
  8. A new look for Google Search

in Windows 10 News
    A new look for Google Search: Our goal with Search always has been to help people quickly and easily find the information that they’re looking for. Over the years, the amount and format of information available on the web has changed drastically—from the proliferation of images and video, to the...
  9. Still no program search support in Start menu search

in Windows 10 Support
    Still no program search support in Start menu search: I'm still having to use Stardock Start10 to use the keyboard to find non-store-app programs. Whenever I use the native Start menu and use the keyboard to enter the non-store-app program name it only finds useless hits among documents and junk (I have Bing disabled otherwise...
  10. Search doesn't search programs

in Windows 10 Support
    Search doesn't search programs: Whenever I want to search for a specific program it doesn't show anything. For example if I search 'Steam' a program that exist in the OS, it will find nothing. I also noticed that it doesn't search files that aren't inside the OS drive. (A song on another HDD) Did...