Windows 10: A lot of important windows apps like Settings, Microsoft Store as well as sfc and DISM...

Discus and support A lot of important windows apps like Settings, Microsoft Store as well as sfc and DISM... in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello. I had this problem recently. I'm suspecting that the update is behind this. I've been using the 2004 Update for a long time now but I always... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Javonski, Aug 20, 2020.

1. Javonski Win User

A lot of important windows apps like Settings, Microsoft Store as well as sfc and DISM...

Hello. I had this problem recently. I'm suspecting that the update is behind this. I've been using the 2004 Update for a long time now but I always update when it's available.

It started in the action center, when Security & Maintenance was asking me to scan drive for errors. Confusing, but I did it anyway. Restarted. I noticed that some apps had stopped working. Chrome was saying it couldn't launch because of something about chrome_elf.dll. I reinstalled Chrome and got it working again. OBS also had an error but I fixed it by reinstalling too.

Then I noticed that the Settings app as well was not working. I thought I could run an "sfc /scannow" command but I realized that I also can't run anything in administrator mode. Apps run normally but when I try to run it in Administrator, it says that the exe of the app is missing.

I booted into safe mode. Tried to run sfc /scannow but stopped at 8%. Tried DISM and stopped at 50.9%.

A lot of important windows apps like Settings, Microsoft Store as well as sfc and DISM... 61088925-7863-48ef-b82a-c3af31089143?upload=true.png

Here's the DISM log file MEGA

Other things I noticed I don't know if related:

I noticed that C:\Program Files\WindowsApps changed ownership back to me. I once took ownership but reverted using icalcs command"

I also tried Get-AppxPackage but I only get lots of errors and nothing happens. I was able to run the command in safe mode using this

I tried to use the Media Creation Tool but it also failed.

I have a spare windows.iso so I tried it but it said that my PC wasn't capable of running windows 10.

:)

Javonski, Aug 20, 2020
  2. P4-630 Win User

Microsoft is purging a lot of low quality apps from the Windows Store

"Microsoft is sending emails to some Windows Store developers informing them that their apps have been removed from the Store for violating its quality standards."

"Neowin reports that app developers have been receiving these emails over the past couple of days:

In its latest review of the Store, Microsoft is evaluating if the published apps are good enough to be listed in the Windows Store. This includes publicly available apps as well as private beta apps. Additionally, Microsoft is also asking developers to delete any promotional campaigns for their apps to prevent advertising charges. Similarly, app name reservations are also being nullified; which means that if your app is unpublished, there's no guarantee that you'll be able to republish it under the same name.

Officially, the policies for the Microsoft Store says that apps must have "distinct and informative metadata" and "provide a valuable and quality user experience". There are also some specific standards that must be in the apps, including having a name that is not similar to another app or device, along with offering a description that is accurate about its features and functions.

There have certainly been many Windows Store users who have complained over the years about the large number of apps published that are clones of other apps or ones that are simply poorly made. Hopefully, this new move by Microsoft will help to curb these issues, at least for now.
    "

Microsoft to remove low quality apps from Windows Store

P4-630, Aug 20, 2020
  3. RejZoR Win User
    Can't get SFC and DISM to work anymore on Win10

Ok, can someone help me out because this crap is starting to piss me off. There was once a time when you could simply run SFC and DISM to check Windows files integrity and if there were any problems found with the local files, Windows repaired it automatically. The reason why I want to run this is because I'm getting stupendously huge amount of errors and warnings in Event Viewer, but I don't want to run refresh because it'll mess up tons of apps.

Commands I used:
    sfc /scannow
    Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

Fast forward few years and we now have glorious Windows 10. Trying to run the same tools, they find errors but stubbornly refuse to fix ANYTHING. What's the god damn point of it then?

Sfc finds issues but can't repair them and DISM constantly bitches how it can't find the source. All this used to work directly in Windows 7, but in Win 10, nothing. This was one of the best features to get OS back in good state and they go and ruin it. Because Microsoft!

I've checked this thread:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.co...sfc-failed-to-repair?forum=win10itprohardware

Nothing worked. And they keep mentioning install.wim where my Windows image downloaded from Microsoft itself! only carries install.esd which I can't seem to use with anything.

I've also tried this tool:
    CodePlex Archive

Which again wants .wim file and refuses to work with esd.

RejZoR, Aug 20, 2020
  4. OneMoar Win User

A lot of important windows apps like Settings, Microsoft Store as well as sfc and DISM...

How to get damn DISM to work?

you need to run DISM first before running SFC
    SFC query's the local component stores to make repairs
    DISM is targeted for rebuilding the component stores and a offline image the 'live' section is still handled by SFC in some cases
    except on windows 8.1 and up because they changed it
    but only for certain files and only if x part of the store is corrupt
    so yea pretty confusing eh

OneMoar, Aug 20, 2020
Thema:

1. A lot of important windows apps like Settings, Microsoft Store as well as sfc and DISM... - Similar Threads - lot important apps

2. Is there a 3rd Party DISM and SFC App That Doesn't Rely on Windows' Built-in DISM and SFC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a 3rd Party DISM and SFC App That Doesn't Rely on Windows' Built-in DISM and SFC?: Hi Microsoft friends, my DISM and SFC in the command prompt won't work, can't boot to a Windows USB installer, can't go to Recovery Mode, can't go to Safe Mode and I can't install in-place Windows 11 22H2, is there a 3rd party DISM app that doesn't rely on Windows' built-in...
  3. Is there a 3rd Party DISM and SFC App That Doesn't Rely on Windows' Built-in DISM and SFC?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a 3rd Party DISM and SFC App That Doesn't Rely on Windows' Built-in DISM and SFC?: Hi Microsoft friends, my DISM and SFC in the command prompt won't work, can't boot to a Windows USB installer, can't go to Recovery Mode, can't go to Safe Mode and I can't install in-place Windows 11 22H2, is there a 3rd party DISM app that doesn't rely on Windows' built-in...
  4. Microsoft Store Not Handling App Updates Well

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store Not Handling App Updates Well: When I check for updates it shows a slew of updates but then I get the check mark on "Get Updates". When I click update all it freezes up. This happened once and I had to run through a KB to fix it. Any idea what is causing this? I also get updates in Windows that have...
  5. Microsoft Store Not Handling App Updates Well

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store Not Handling App Updates Well: When I check for updates it shows a slew of updates but then I get the check mark on "Get Updates". When I click update all it freezes up. This happened once and I had to run through a KB to fix it. Any idea what is causing this? I also get updates in Windows that have...
  6. DISM and SFC

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    DISM and SFC: Greetings, I am asking for some guidance regarding the above Windows features. I ask, knowing that perhaps there is no concrete answer to my question. Let me set it up. I was trying to unfreeze a friend's machine. It was his second machine and hadn't been used in months. He...
  7. Lots of important settings missing...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Lots of important settings missing...: [ATTACH] Hello im new to reddit and im not sure if im posting in the right place but ive had problems with my computer where i couldnt toggle some settings it said they were locked by my org or sth of that sort. Eventually i gave up on those settings but recently more and...
  8. DISM and SFC

DISM and SFC: I posted in the Win 8 forum but saw I should have posted here. I read the corrective material in Win 8 as to how to fix this missing or corrupted files issue but either it is over my level or it is too difficult for me. I have run both programs and rebooted. i have run in...
  9. SFC and DISM Errors

SFC and DISM Errors: So I was running an SFC /scannow And got the some files are corrupt but cannot be fixed etc. So I did the dism restore heath, and it can't find source. So I did the scan health, check health, reset Base, restore health from local esd source and limited access, changed...
  10. Sfc/dism

Sfc/dism: SFC stops at 22% and cannot complete. DISM returns "The specified buffer contains ill-formed data." RESOLVED via a Windows 10 refresh second attempt that succeeded after the first would not allow files to be retained. After again creating an ISO file, the second...