Windows 10: A music CD does not open in my assigned default app

Discus and support A music CD does not open in my assigned default app in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have Win 10 Home Pro. Isusue: When I'm playing a music CD, the CD does not open with the required app. Scenario: With no music apps running,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by OldGrantonian, Jan 25, 2017.

1. A music CD does not open in my assigned default app

I have Win 10 Home Pro.

Isusue: When I'm playing a music CD, the CD does not open with the required app.

Scenario: With no music apps running, insert a CD in the drive. The CD opens with Windows Media Player. This is despite the fact that iTunes is set as my default music player.

Info: If iTunes is currently active, a new CD opens in iTunes - not WMP.

I found two options in Control Panel which associate files and apps:

Select a music app, then assign file extensions to that file:
    Control Panel > Default Programs > Set your default program
    Select iTunes.The current setting is "Set this program for all files that it can open as default"

Select a file extension(s), then assign a music app to that extension:
    Control Panel > Default Programs > Associate a file type or protocol with a program
    Select .CDA, which is the file type on the CD.
    The current setting is iTunes.

I would be grateful for any assistance.

Thanks.

:)

OldGrantonian, Jan 25, 2017
  2. UrunTekin Win User

Default Music Player

Hello,

I want to assign my keyboard's launch music player key to Spotify on win 10. For this I need to either assign the media key to the program somehow, or change the default music player.

The default music player is Groove and this is the one that starts when I press music player button. I cannot change the default program to Spotify, because it does not show up in the list when I go to default programs > music player. It suggest I search
    in the store, so I downloaded store version of Spotify as well, and it still doesn't show up there.

So how do I either change the behaviour of the music launcher key, or change the default music player to a program that does not show up in the list of music players under default programs.

UrunTekin, Jan 25, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Pro doesn't read my CDROM drive without a forced File Explorer scan

Hello, I created a new user, and describe the behavior below:

1) Logged on using the new user account

2) Inserted a music CD, wait a few minutes but nothing happens

3) Opened File Explorer, no CD drive present!

4) Logged out, then logged in to my account, and as soon as the home screen appears,
    the CD begins playing in Win Media Player (default program for audio CD)!

5) Switched to another music CD and . . . . nothing.

6) Logged out, logged back in to the new user account, and the CD immediately started to play in PowerDVD. Note that I had not set an auto play default, but I know that PowerDVD will reset all auto play defaults when installed - maybe as
    a global setting?

7) So, switched music CDs, but .... nothing.

8) Switching back to my account, the home screen opened, but no music this time.

And still back to square one. Weird behavior to say the least.

J Mike Ferrara, Jan 25, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

A music CD does not open in my assigned default app

A music CD does not open in my assigned default app [​IMG]

Hi, try autoplay settings.

dalchina, Jan 25, 2017
  5. .
    That worked fine. Thanks.

OldGrantonian, Jan 25, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    Good- you're fortunate autoplay is actually behaving properly.

dalchina, Jan 25, 2017
  7. .
    Now, now *Wink

OldGrantonian, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

A music CD does not open in my assigned default app

1. A music CD does not open in my assigned default app - Similar Threads - music does open

2. Assign Amazon Music as default music player on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Assign Amazon Music as default music player on Windows 11: What it says in the title, folks. I've recently switched from 10 to 11 and am trying to assign various apps to my keyboard shortcut keys. I'm trying to assign Amazon Music as my default music player and the settings for the default apps are different on 11 than 10. I can't...
  3. Assign Amazon Music as default music player on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Assign Amazon Music as default music player on Windows 11: What it says in the title, folks. I've recently switched from 10 to 11 and am trying to assign various apps to my keyboard shortcut keys. I'm trying to assign Amazon Music as my default music player and the settings for the default apps are different on 11 than 10. I can't...
  4. Windows 10 forgets assigned default apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 forgets assigned default apps: Hi, This question exact same title and issue is the same as someone posted 27 January 2018.Can you imagine!Three years later and you microsoft programmers still didn't act!For example if I associate Mp3 with MPC-BE portable it is set as default app but once in a while MS...
  5. Assign Default Mail App By GPO

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Assign Default Mail App By GPO: How does a domain administrator assign a Default Mail Application to windows 10 users without replacing the entire AppAssociations.xml? I want to only set the default mail app to Outlook instead of Windows Mail. I do not want to replace the entire AppAssociations.xml due to...
  6. Spotify as default music app

in Windows 10 Customization
    Spotify as default music app: Hi, i was wondering why I can't seem to be able to add spotify as my default music app? I'm in the latest version of Windows 10 pc https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/spotify-as-default-music-app/413124c1-46e1-4c0c-aac7-80db35e908de
  7. assigning a default program for opening .bat files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    assigning a default program for opening .bat files: see images folks. why can't I in win 10? I want notepad++. possible? [ATTACH] [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/assigning-a-default-program-for-opening-bat-files/1f5a9749-b1eb-405b-9c9a-3ec543112987
  8. I want to set YouTube Music as my default music app

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    I want to set YouTube Music as my default music app: I know that it isn't a Microsoft store app therefore you can't do it via settings, but is there an alternative? Thanks in advance submitted by /u/ItzXenoo [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/i38o9l/i_want_to_set_youtube_music_as_my_default_music/
  9. music cd's

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    music cd's: I recently purchased a LG SLIM DVD player for the purpose of transferring my music CD'S to my music library on my surface pro 7. I recently changed from my old mac pro where all I had to do was put the cd in and it automatically transferred to my music library. The CD plays...
  10. music cd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    music cd: how do I transfer a music cd to an ipod https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/music-cd/dc1ab6ff-5325-42ac-8796-ce6a933ca41d"