Windows 10: A mystery file called "y.url"

Discus and support A mystery file called "y.url" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; What is the purpose of the 'y.url' file that random appears on my desktop, and is it safe to delete this file? [ATTACH] If I click on this file, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AndyLi4, Apr 9, 2021.

1. AndyLi4 Win User

A mystery file called "y.url"

What is the purpose of the 'y.url' file that random appears on my desktop, and is it safe to delete this file?

A mystery file called "y.url" 259dced3-d622-498e-adee-9d367b35144d?upload=true.png

If I click on this file, it takes me to the OneDrive online edition, which I don't need because I already have OneDrive installed on my computer and can easily access and use it.

:)

AndyLi4, Apr 9, 2021

2. Mystery app preventing Windows 10 shutdown after update.

After much searching, and trying many, many suggestions, this is what eventually worked for me:-

Run Windows System File Checker
    Your Windows PC comes with an in-built system file checker utility program. It can scan your system files and let you know if there is some corruption over there for which you get smashed
    with the error message “Task Host Window Preventing Shutdown”. You must follow these simple steps here to run the Windows System File Checker,

• Press the Windows Logo Key + X from your PC
    • From the drop-down list select the Command Prompt(Admin)
    • Click on Yes if prompted for permission. It will open the elevated command prompt on your system
    • Now, type in the following command and press the enter button
    • sfc /scannow
    • Then, wait until the System File Checker continues the process of scanning. Press Y if the program asks for permission to apply the fixes for your missing system files
    • Finally, Restart your PC once again and check if you can get over the problem there
    I found the above on a list of several suggestions, which are on the following link, but the above was what removed the problem for me.

This App is Preventing Shutdown in Windows 10 [SOLVED]

GavinGillespie, Apr 9, 2021
  3. RPC call failed

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

As you receive an error: The remote procedure call failed, I suggest you to check the status of Remote Procedure Call locator service.

Step 1: Make sure the Remote Procedure Call status is Started and set to Automatic. RPC Locator should be set to Manual. Follow the below steps for the same:

• Press Windows + R keys from the keyboard to open
      Run command.
    • Type services.msc in the search box and press
      Enter
    • Search for the Remote Procedure Call locator service
    • Make sure the Start-up type is Manual.

Steps to set the services to Automatic

• Right click on the service
    • If the service is stopped then Start the service
    • Select Properties
    • And in the Start-up type, select Manual.

Step 2: If the service is already started and set to manual, then run
    System file checker (SFC) scan on your computer.

System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files.

Follow the below steps:

• Right click on the Start button, click on
      Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type “sfc /scannow” without the quotes and hit
      Enter.

• After the scan, restart the computer and check for the issue.

Hope it helps. Kindly get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 9, 2021
  4. A mystery file called "y.url"

After Windows 10 upgrade I find some new drive (YA mystery file called "y.url" :) by name PBR Images appearing and then disappearing every now and then

Hi,

Thank you for being part of Windows 10.

Before we proceed, I need more information to help you better.

• What was the error message/code you were getting?
    • What happens when you try to open the new Y: drive?
    Try the following steps and check if it helps:

Step 1:

I would suggest you to check if you are able to view the new Y: drive and if there is any memory loss in the Disk Management.

Follow the below steps to check the disk partitions from the Disk Management:

• Right click on the Start button and select Disk Management option.
    • Check if you are able to view the new Y: drive and memory loss.
    If the issue persists then follow the below step.

Step 2:

I suggest you to run check disk on the hard drive to see if there are any corruptions.

Follow the below steps:

• Windows key + X, click Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press
      ENTER
      :
    chkdsk /f

Disclaimer: While performing check disk on the hard drive, if any bad sectors are found then check disk will try to repair that sector. Any data available on a bad sector might be lost.

Once Check Disk completes, boot the computer and then check.

If the issue still persists then, I suggest you to provide us the screenshot of the issue in order to assist you further.

Kindly refer to the following Wiki article created by Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP] on
    How to include a screenshot in your post.

How to include a screenshot in your post

Hope the above information helps. Reply with necessary information and the result to help you further.

Thank you.

Harshavardhan Rathod, Apr 9, 2021
Thema:

A mystery file called "y.url"

1. A mystery file called "y.url" - Similar Threads - mystery file called

2. .url files not working

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    .url files not working: hello there, I am trying to use a .url file but it is not working. it keeps showing me the target location and some other text. I created the .url using the windows shortcut creator built-in. refer the image I copied the URL it showed and it did go to the proper website but...
  3. Mystery file

Mystery file: 1c7b1472-9b59-4652-9dde-f1dc675649cc Find in WER/temp folder but # changes after reboot? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/mystery-file/731f8936-7e73-4c24-8a82-688e024eb67b
  4. MP4 Files Mysteriously Disappearing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    MP4 Files Mysteriously Disappearing: Hi, I've got a weird one.. MP4 files saved in my Videos folder keep mysteriously disappearing. I'm editing them in Premiere Pro, then something happens and it tells me the files can't be found. I look in the videos folder, deleted items ..nothing, they're gone. I've run a...
  5. .url files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    .url files: so for apps like steam, to open games on the desktop, the file is a .url file. i have the latest version of windows insider build, and it just will not open. how do i fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/url-files/c9e99cac-8564-4868-bbe0-3ced22fe6671
  6. One file mysteriously disappeared

One file mysteriously disappeared: I had a file of beautiful paintings I've downloaded from various sites. Two nights ago, I logged on and saw that it was gone - it was pinned to Quick Access and it's very strange. Does anyone have any suggestions, thoughts or ideas - though I looked in File Explorer and...
  7. .url file problem

.url file problem: this all started when I was trying to play some steam games and I must have selected open with note pad instead. I went to the properties of one of my games and changed the opens with setting to steam client bootstrapper because it is the only steam related option I could...
  8. Files Mysteriously on New Laptop

Files Mysteriously on New Laptop: I bought a new laptop. I was setting it up at home. It seemed to be taking a long time to update. This morning I got up to find that every file from my desktop was now on the new laptop. I did not initiate anything to make this happen as far as I know. I do have a...
  9. Mystery drive in File Explorer

Mystery drive in File Explorer: I have a "mystery drive" in the This PC section of File Explorer. It's called EZ and is mapped as the Z: drive. I am baffled by what this is and how it got there. It is *not* something I have installed, at least knowingly. When I click on it to see what is on it, it tells me...
  10. Mysterious Folder in Program Files

in Windows 10 Support
    Mysterious Folder in Program Files: I have a strange folder in C:\Program Files (x86) called "My Company Name" and inside it another one called "My Product Name". This one is empty. My ESET Smart Security found nothing. I can't figure it out where it came from. Is this malware? 23506