Windows 10: A new Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade - Broken Defender problem

Discus and support A new Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade - Broken Defender problem in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my Win 7 Ultimate version to Win 10 Pro 1809 yesterday. All went fine with the exception of Defender. The service... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by rfdes, Mar 16, 2019.

1. rfdes Win User

A new Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade - Broken Defender problem

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded my Win 7 Ultimate version to Win 10 Pro 1809 yesterday. All went fine with the exception of Defender. The service IS running but I am having the problems regarding the Real-Time enabled buttons being greyed. I also cannot update definitions nor scan. I understand others have had the same issues in the past but everything I've tried has not been effective. Here is a rundown on my situation along with a list of the things I've done to fix the problem. Any additional help/tips would be appreciated.

Scenario:
    Upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro 1809 (10.0.17763.379)
    Upgrade done using online update tool from Microsoft.
    Uninstalled MS Essentials prior to install using MS Add/Remove tool
    All Win 10 updates installed
    My account is set to Admin level.

Problem (discovered from moment of Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade):
    All Windows Defender Options Greyed out. Unable to enable Realtime Protection
    Not able to run any manual SCAN option
    Not able to update definitions
    Firewall shows 'ON'
    Checked services and Defender service IS running.
    When checking Firewall settings message indicates settings do not properly match incoming rule.
    Restore settings has no effect.

Attempted Solutions:
    Ran MalwareBytes Premium
    Ran MalwareBytes Rootkit
    Ran online TrendMicro anti-virus (not installed on system - should not be interfering)
    Checked Defender Polices - None present (I understand that this is the default configuration)
    Suggestion to add Policy key 'DisableAntiSpyware' key performed - no effect.
    Used MsConfig to boot with only MS services running (Safeboot) - Results made no difference.
    Performed a System Scan (SFC using elevated privileges) - no issues
    Performed a registry scan for issues - none found
    Last resort - I reinstalled/repaired Windows 10 ... no luck.

Help - what else to try?

I've studied the boot logs to determine if the system is reporting any issues associated with Defender and am not sure what to look for. If anyone has any tips as to what to look for that would be appreciated.

:)

rfdes, Mar 16, 2019
  2. adoornik Win User

Win 7 and Win 10 on network

I have home network with separate modem, router, and WAP's. My Windows 7 computer does NOT list the Windows 10 computers on network computer list but the Windows 10 computers network list DO list the Windows 7 computer.

Turned off firewalls, gave permissions, shared drives. Nothing allows Win 7 computer to access the Win 10 computers.

Any suggestions for a fix?

adoornik, Mar 16, 2019
  3. Jererermy Win User
    Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 Puzzle

Ok, so here is my problem.

I currently have my 1.5 TB hdd partitioned in half. The first half is blank, and the second half has Windows 7 installed and activated. Unfortunately, I learned that I cannot combine the 2 partitions back together to diminish the partition split and maximize
    my hdd space like intended because I am only able to increase the first partition or shrink the 2nd.

So my problem is that I would like to upgrade from my Windows 7 to Windows 10 (which I am fairly confident in how to do it) but I need to use the free upgrade available to me to install Windows 10 to the 1st partition and not the 2nd one.

I created a USB bootable Windows 10 using the Windows 10 setup tool, but it gives me the following warning:

• If you are going to install Win 10 on your PC clean for the first time, you'll need a Win 10 product key.
    • If you are going to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, you won't need to enter a product key.
    The problem is that I need to sort of do both. I want to upgrade my Windows 7 to Windows 10 but on the 1st partition instead of the 2nd one that currently has Windows 7.

Does anyone have any helpful suggestions for me?!

Jererermy, Mar 16, 2019
  4. effendi- Win User

New Win 7 upgrade to Win 10

What if I'm a new user of Windows?

let's say I want to buy Win 7 and install it to my laptop,

Can I upgrade to Win 10?

Thx

effendi-, Mar 16, 2019
Thema:

1. A new Win 7 to Win 10 upgrade - Broken Defender problem - Similar Threads - upgrade Broken Defender

2. Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade: I have a really nice laptop that rarely get used that has Win 7 on it but it's becoming outdated and lost Microsoft support. It's a shame the Win 7 has reached it's end of life. Laptop works great. It MORE than has the capacity to run Win 10 Processor, Storage, Cache etc.....
  3. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: I was given a Win 7 laptop recently. I am trying to figure out how to upgrade it to 10? Any ideas how I go about that? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-win-7-to-win-10/cf7cfb0e-47d5-4031-a29f-468e37e00817
  4. Win 7 to win 10 upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win 7 to win 10 upgrade: This issue was posted 2 yrs ago and no solution was found then. It still has the same problem today on my Toshiba L775 laptop:Error: 0x8007001F - 0x20006 the installation failed in the SAFE_OS phase with error during REPLICATE_OC operation while upgrading to Windows 10 from...
  5. Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade

Win 7 to Win 10 Upgrade: So I'm biting the bullet and finally upgrading to Win10 from Win7 (upgrading my computer from Win7 hardware to Win10). However I don't have a Win10 key directly, but I do hear you can upgrade from Win7 to 10 for free still. How would this work in my case? Would I install...
  6. Win 7 upgrade to Win 10

Win 7 upgrade to Win 10: I currently have windows 7 and just found out I was to get a free upgrade to Window 10. How do I acquire it please? * Moved from Insider https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-upgrade-to-win-10/660e7921-eca1-4cde-be15-203ea0536f50
  7. Win 7 Win 10 upgrade problem.

Win 7 Win 10 upgrade problem.: When I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 in 2016 everything worked OK but I couldn't type in the search field for Edge or Cortina. I couldn't find a solution online before the back out period expired so I backed out of the update. I have continued using Win 7 since then. I would...
  8. upgrade win.7 to win 10

upgrade win.7 to win 10: I have 2 win 7 home that I upgraded to win 10 in my house they are fine But I have a win.7 home 32 bit in my shop out back i decided 2 days ago to upgrade it to windows 10 with media creation tool everything is working fine but I still don't have ver 1511 10586.36 I am...
  9. was win 7 upgraded to win 10 but on RESTART win 10 Problem!!!!

was win 7 upgraded to win 10 but on RESTART win 10 Problem!!!!: I upgraded win 7 home to win 10... a dell notebook i5 processor 4GB RAM but PC starts OK - shuts downs OK but on RESTART win 10 Problem!!!! after blue window icon and before show login screen appears a black screen and PC shows working or downloading - .... after...
  10. Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10

Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10: My Gateway laptop has Win7 Sp1 64bit installed. I've tried 5 different times to upgrade to 10. Using the 64bit creative tool the download goes great, completes and the install starts, then says "failed in first boot phase with an error during SYSPREP operation." Also shows...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. upgrade win 7 to win 10 problems

2. hp upgrade from win 7 to win 10 defender will not stay on

3. cdetermie what systems have window defender broken

4. upgrade windows 10 from win 7,
  5. upgrade win 7 pro to win 10 pro free