Windows 10: A new win install on a HDD messed up my win install on my m.2 SSD

Discus and support A new win install on a HDD messed up my win install on my m.2 SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Win version: 1909 Complicated story. I had to send my laptop to service because a hinge broke. They informed me, that because GDPR reasons I need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by giorgioblues, Jul 28, 2020.

1. A new win install on a HDD messed up my win install on my m.2 SSD

Win version: 1909

Complicated story. I had to send my laptop to service because a hinge broke. They informed me, that because GDPR reasons I need to erase my data from it before sending it in. The laptop originally only contained an hdd, which i used for storage, and I formated it before sending it in. My windows install was on an m.2 ssd which I installed later. I removed this ssd from the laptop before sending it to service, so when it comes back, I thought I would just put it back inside, and use it like nothing happened.

When the laptop came back, I put the SSD back inside, not knowing, that the service people changed the BIOS to legacy, and changed the boot order to prefer the hdd, and installed a new instance of windows 10 on the empty hdd. I started the laptop, and this new windows system on the hdd greeted me. I tried to change the boot order back to the ssd, and put it back to uefi, but by the time I restarted the laptop, the new install on the hdd messed up something on the ssd, so now the laptop cannot boot from it, even though every file is still present on it.

The only way I'm able to access my old system is disconnecting the hdd, and using a win10 boot usb stick to start windows, which results in my old system running in this "hybrid" way, booting from the usb stick, but using all my files from the ssd.

Is there a way I can restore the booting capability of my ssd without a fresh install?

I tried fixmbr fixboot rebuildbcd with no luck.

:)

giorgioblues, Jul 28, 2020

2. Installing Windows on m.2 ssd keeping old hdd

Hi

I purchased a new m.2 ssd .I want to install windows 10 on it.But i also want to keep my old hdd for storage (which currently has win 10) .How can I format the old and install win 10 on new ssd?

Also link the necessary resources and links please.My dell laptop is almost new and i dont want to mess it up.

Thank you.

MihirLonkar, Jul 28, 2020
  3. win 10 and new ssd

I found similar queries but not the answer i quite need. I'm thinking of buying a new ssd and then installing win 10 to it as my current 1TB hdd is running low on space. I'm currently running win 10 on the hdd so the question is 3-fold.

1)how do i proceed to install win 10 on the new ssd

2)how do I remove win 10 from my hdd after installing it to my new ssd

3(can i do all this without having to wipe my hdd as it took nearly a week to re-install all my games and programs last time when I upgrade from 8.1 to 10 and it wiped my HDD.

chadpalmer1313, Jul 28, 2020
  4. A new win install on a HDD messed up my win install on my m.2 SSD

windows installation on m.2 ssd Intel 600p

hi,

i want to install win 10 on my Intel 600p m.2 ssd, pci-e and i cannot do that. win10 start the installaton and when i need to select location, i select the ssd and i get this message: we couldn't create a new partition or locate an existing one. for more
    information , see the setup log files. my os who is installed on my hdd is win10 home, ver 1709, build 16229.431. my machine is lenovo y700 17isk.

IacobIonut, Jul 28, 2020
Thema:

A new win install on a HDD messed up my win install on my m.2 SSD

1. A new win install on a HDD messed up my win install on my m.2 SSD - Similar Threads - install HDD messed

2. Install Win 11 to external M.2 SSD via laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install Win 11 to external M.2 SSD via laptop: Hello everyone, I purchased a new NVMe M.2 1TB SSD and my old 512gb SSD is in the laptop. I have a SSD reader by which I can connect the new SSD externally to the laptop. The new SSD is clean and I need to install Win 11 on that so that I can replace my laptop SSD with the...
  3. Install Win 11 to external M.2 SSD via laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install Win 11 to external M.2 SSD via laptop: Hello everyone, I purchased a new NVMe M.2 1TB SSD and my old 512gb SSD is in the laptop. I have a SSD reader by which I can connect the new SSD externally to the laptop. The new SSD is clean and I need to install Win 11 on that so that I can replace my laptop SSD with the...
  4. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  5. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD: My PC has a WD 1 T HDD as the primary drive with Win 10 installed. There is also an 2nd older WD HDD for data storage purposes if ever needed - unlikely.I recently bought a new 500 GB SSD drive. I would like to install my WIN 10 on the new SSD using it as the primary drive.To...
  6. Install of Win 10 from old HDD to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows 10 install on new m.2 ssd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 install on new m.2 ssd: Hi, i already have licensed windows 10 on hdd, so i just bought a new m.2 ssd to improve the performance. The question is if i do a clean install of windows on the ssd using the usb drive, what will happen to the windows on the hdd? Can i enter the same key or do i have to...
  8. A new win install on a HDD messed up my win install on my m.2 SSD

A new win install on a HDD messed up my win install on my m.2 SSD: Win version: 1909 Complicated story. I had to send my laptop to service because a hinge broke. They informed me, that because GDPR reasons I need to erase my data from it before sending it in. The laptop originally only contained an hdd, which i used for storage, and I...
  9. installing win 10 on a new hdd

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    installing win 10 on a new hdd: I purchased a Sony laptop several years ago that came with win8 MS offered a free upgrade to win10 that I took advantage of When my unit crashed a while back, I was able to download a media creation tool to a flash drive. to reintall win 10 I now have to replace this hd...
  10. Installing Windows on m.2 ssd keeping old hdd

Installing Windows on m.2 ssd keeping old hdd: Hi I purchased a new m.2 ssd .I want to install windows 10 on it.But i also want to keep my old hdd for storage (which currently has win 10) .How can I format the old and install win 10 on new ssd? Also link the necessary resources and links please.My dell laptop is...