Windows 10: A number of problems after OS SSD was used on another computer

Discus and support A number of problems after OS SSD was used on another computer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey everyone, I removed the ssd which had the OS a couple of weeks ago but because some information needed to be accessed my sister attached a SATA... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by munchkins, Jul 27, 2017.

1. munchkins Win User

A number of problems after OS SSD was used on another computer

Hey everyone,

I removed the ssd which had the OS a couple of weeks ago but because some information needed to be accessed my sister attached a SATA to USB cable to the ssd and plugged it into her computer. She said that it asked permission to access the files and that she clicked yes.

I just came back today and installed my drive back into the computer but as soon as I logged in all I got was a black screen and the errors "taskhostw.exe application error" & "DeviceCensus.exe application error"

This happened a number of times and after I long pressed the power button to shut down I checked over all the cables to see if everything was ok. Once that was done windows did a scan and repair at the boot screen after which I could login and see my desktop but now my taskbar applications didn't show and the start button as well the things like volume control and notifications could not be clicked. I could open notepad files but when I tried to open an image file it would time out. I opened my recycle bin to see if I could and it did open but when I went to open my downloads folder it said that I don't have permission to open the folder.

I tried to restart but it just shows "Restarting" for a very long time which forced me to long press the power button and shut down. Now when I turn on the computer I can get up to the login screen which shows the date and time but when I click space so I can enter my password that screen never shows up, it just shows my login background with no other information.I've now been able to get into safe mode by using shift + restart but initially when running sfc/scannow I get "windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation" and when I run chkdsk I got that the file system is NTFS and "windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected". The weird thing is that after a restart both sfc/scannow & chkdsk work fine and don't show any issues.

As of this post I can get past the login screen but like what I said initially, the desktop comes up but no pinned apps in taskbar, clicking on start button and notification area doesn't do anything, loading pictures which are on the desktop times out and I need to give permission to access folder such as downloads and videos and pictures.

Some help and advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks for reading.

:)

munchkins, Jul 27, 2017

2. WindowsUpdate_80070002-20009 error when upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10

Its the problem because of the OS is in SSD.... after i have reinstalled the OS in my main hard drive and then it upgraded successfully and migrated OS back to SSD after upgrade...

AnishKintali, Jul 27, 2017
  3. WindowsUpdate_80070002-20009 error when upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10

Install Win8.1 on D: (secondary HDD)

upgrade to Win10

Migrate on C: (Primary SSD)

Am I right?

SINCE1982-FR, Jul 27, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

We need to know what she did it sounds like she has changed permmisions on some things that are stopping it running. Under permission of folders does her name or strange user appear

Samuria, Jul 27, 2017
  5. munchkins Win User
    She said that this is the only prompt that was given:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-yl3XL8xZH...ermissions.PNG

How can I check for permission changes?

munchkins, Jul 27, 2017
  6. Samuria Win User
    As quick test can you set up a new admin user login with it and see if everything works so we know what needs fixing

Samuria, Jul 27, 2017
  7. munchkins Win User
    I created a new username with admin privileges and after the welcome message it basically gave me a clean slate where everything works.

So the windows instance for the new user works fine it's just that my personal instance of the OS is messed up.

munchkins, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. A number of problems after OS SSD was used on another computer - Similar Threads - number problems SSD

2. PIN NUMBER TO USE THE COMPUTER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PIN NUMBER TO USE THE COMPUTER: I am an old man, I put a pin number to use my computer, I want to uninstall it so I can use my computer without a pin number. I am an old man and what about if I pass away; Are you telling me not even my wife can get into my computer to see some important information that I...
  3. PIN NUMBER TO USE THE COMPUTER

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PIN NUMBER TO USE THE COMPUTER: I am an old man, I put a pin number to use my computer, I want to uninstall it so I can use my computer without a pin number. I am an old man and what about if I pass away; Are you telling me not even my wife can get into my computer to see some important information that I...
  4. Error 0xc000000e after using Windows 11 computer to install Windows 10 onto another SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error 0xc000000e after using Windows 11 computer to install Windows 10 onto another SSD: So I'm using my main computer which uses Windows 11 to install Windows 10 onto another SSD using USB media. After finishing the install, I remove the SSD from the computer as well as the bootable media USB. Then when I try to start up, I'm greeted with error 0xc000000e saying...
  5. Error 0xc000000e after using Windows 11 computer to install Windows 10 onto another SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error 0xc000000e after using Windows 11 computer to install Windows 10 onto another SSD: So I'm using my main computer which uses Windows 11 to install Windows 10 onto another SSD using USB media. After finishing the install, I remove the SSD from the computer as well as the bootable media USB. Then when I try to start up, I'm greeted with error 0xc000000e saying...
  6. Error 0xc000000e after using Windows 11 computer to install Windows 10 onto another SSD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Problems after transferring C: OS SSD Drive to new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems after transferring C: OS SSD Drive to new SSD: I bought a new Samsung 860 pro 256gb. ssd to transfer everything from my main/OS drive to it since the drive is pretty old and, I've already had one drive just like it go bad and it was actually a little newer. First off, I just put the new drive in my Kingston docking bay...
  8. Another SSD issue - desktop computer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Another SSD issue - desktop computer: HI. I bought an SSD for my LAPTOP and with help from this forum got it installed correctly. Now I bought one for my desktop and I'm in trouble. PC is a HP Model 260-p025, windows 10 home, OS 19041.508. Here is what I did: migrated data from HDD to SDD (on USB) using Samsung...
  9. Upgrade OS from one SSD to another SSD?

Upgrade OS from one SSD to another SSD?: Could I possibly get some help on how best I can upgrade my existing SSD. I have a 256 GB SSD which I would like to upgrade to a 480 GB SSD. I already have the new SSD and want to upgrade it tommorow. How best I can transfer/migrate my OS (Windows 10 Insider Preview) from the...
  10. Another Newby with a SSD to SSD upgrade problem...

Another Newby with a SSD to SSD upgrade problem...: So, yes, I am a newby here, and know just enough to be dangerous... So please flame me gently! I have an HP laptop with 128gb SSD and 1tb hdd. OS lives on the SSD, which is too small. So I am trying to upgrade the SSD to 1tb. I cloned the existing SSD to my new 1tb SSD via...