Windows 10: A number of problems, probably related

Discus and support A number of problems, probably related in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I upgraded to the latest Insider preview build. Also, SFC and DISM completed successfully, twice. Problems persist. *Sad I agree with what you... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nimanyu, Nov 6, 2015.

1. davidhk Win User

A number of problems, probably related

I agree with what you said...... " reinstalling Windows or upgrading to a newer build (while keeping all the settings and files) are not solving the problem".

Gabriel Aul said Build 10586 ISO will be released in a few days.
    My suggestion is to wait for the ISO and use it to do a Clean Install....... keep nothing, start fresh.

Of course, if you have not deleted the $Windows.~BT from your C: drive, you can use its esd file, convert it to an iso file, burn it to a bootable DVD or USB and then do a clean install.

A number of problems, probably related [​IMG]

davidhk, Nov 9, 2015
  2. davidhk Win User

By the way.............
    Re : 1. Cannot start windows defender real-time protection:
    Shows error code 0x800705b4 (attached)

Do you have a 3rd party security program installed ?
    Some of those have their own defenders and they will disable Windows defender automatically. It is because having 2 defenders running is not only redundant but could also create conflicts between the 2 defenders.

I have not used a 3rd party security program for a long time. So I am out-dated in this subject matter.
    In the past, the following programs will turn off Windows Defender.............
    Avast, AVG, Norton and McAfee.

davidhk, Nov 9, 2015
  3. DustSailor, Nov 9, 2015
  4. Nimanyu Win User

I guess I have reached the end of my list...Clean install...
    Resetting will have the same effect as clean installing, right?

There are few programs which I don't wish to undergo the trouble of reinstalling because:
    1.They are working perfectly fine
    2. They are not causing any problem
    3. They will take too long to install
    4. They are not installed in the Windows partition(coz they were large) so won't be removed after a clean install
    like my games from Steam, MATLAB and other large softwares....
    Is there a way to backup all their settings and saved games, and just replace them after the reinstall/refresh to get them back to current state, coz the installation directory would remain untouched?

Nimanyu, Nov 10, 2015
  5. You are thinking of a refresh. A reset will be more like a reinstall, and a refresh will save those programs.

DustSailor, Nov 10, 2015
  6. davidhk Win User
    So far I know, in a PC, and I have Win 10 Home and Win 10 Pro, there is no Refresh option in Win 10 anymore. Just Reset.

I have a Surface RT, and I do have the Refresh option.

davidhk, Nov 10, 2015
  7. Well, it is called reset now I guess, but you keep your files still (or choose not to). See this: Refresh Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

DustSailor, Nov 11, 2015
  8. davidhk Win User

Thank you.
    I am well aware of Brink's tutorials. They are well known and I used them often. I even have many of those safe kept in my external hard drive.

A Reset is to reinstall and can only keep own files if one chooses to but NOT programs.

davidhk, Nov 11, 2015
  9. Very true, but due to your comment, I re-read the tutorial I linked to which explained that the refresh function is now found within the reset function... So you choose to keep your files or not. Hope I was more clear. The refresh tutorial takes you through resetting, but instead of erasing everything, you keep certain stuff, like the op desired. You are right, apps are no longer preserved

DustSailor, Nov 12, 2015
  10. davidhk Win User
    That's just another Microsoft's inept way to say .........................
    there is no more Refresh option anymore, just Reset.
    And you cannot keep your programs, just your files.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. A number of problems, probably related - Similar Threads - number problems probably

2. BSOD Errors probably related to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD Errors probably related to SSD: Have experienced twice a BSOD in during the evening, both time i can find hints that SSD driver? could be involved. Please help understangind the dump files and finding and fixing the cuase of this error. Copying content from one of the crash dumps:************ Preparing the...
  3. BSOD Errors probably related to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Errors probably related to SSD: Have experienced twice a BSOD in during the evening, both time i can find hints that SSD driver? could be involved. Please help understangind the dump files and finding and fixing the cuase of this error. Copying content from one of the crash dumps:************ Preparing the...
  4. Getting BSOD on clean install. Probably related to graphic drivers

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Getting BSOD on clean install. Probably related to graphic drivers: Hi guys,I have a Samsung NP470R5E that started crashing with BSOD Kernel Security Check Failure. I read online that this could be caused by graphic drivers, so I decided to make a clean install and use the drivers provided by Samsung. No matter what I do, I can't get the...
  5. Problem with BSOD probably a driver

Problem with BSOD probably a driver: Since about 3-4 weeks I have been getting BSOD's almost every time I start up my system. They vary in message but most of them are things like MEMORY_MANAGEMENT or ISQL or some others I can't remember. Using a blue screen viewer I have come to the conclusion that it is always...
  6. A lot of problems with my PC, probably related to win 10 (help)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    A lot of problems with my PC, probably related to win 10 (help): Hello I hope you are having a good day. to start, i[ll tell you that my understanding of computers is limited (i´m not an ignorant but not a mega geek neither) and I use my computer mostly for office applications, digital art and some minor gaming. The problem is that my...
  7. Horrible sound problems (crackling) after Windows Update (probably driver related)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Horrible sound problems (crackling) after Windows Update (probably driver related): I always reject Windows updates for long periods of time and then download all of them at once, and today was one of those bulk update days. I downloaded many updates, including the new Edge and the May 2020 update. Before these updates, everything was perfectly fine with my...
  8. Recurring sudden blackscreens, probably driver-related

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Recurring sudden blackscreens, probably driver-related: Hello. Basically, every few days, when I'm lucky just every few weeks, my screen will suddenly go black while the PC is running. I can usually get it back by rebooting the PC, but it'll repeat itself a few minutes later. The only solution I have found so far is to uninstall...
  9. Probably keyboard driver problem

Probably keyboard driver problem: Hi I've recently updated windows 10 and also updated all of my drivers ones with update available and after a few days it caused really serious problems to my keyboard. Some of the buttonsREALLY don't work properly. Most of the top bar buttons f1 ,f2 ,etc. and buttons d and c...
  10. some probably related power issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    some probably related power issues: I've been having a few different problems with my computer since a hardware upgrade. the first problem I have been having is my computer takes 2 attempts to boot. example situation: wake up in the morning, turn computer on. BIOS posts, windows 10 logo appears, but fades to...