Windows 10: A OneDrive folder keeps being created in my user file

Discus and support A OneDrive folder keeps being created in my user file in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; A few months ago I was working for a company I'll call Company X. As a part of my work I saved documents to Company's X's OneDrive folder which I was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MinaNilchian, Jul 13, 2021.

1. A OneDrive folder keeps being created in my user file

A few months ago I was working for a company I'll call Company X. As a part of my work I saved documents to Company's X's OneDrive folder which I was connected to by having my email through Company X synced with my laptop. I no longer work for this company, have disconnected my account from my laptop.However, a folder keeps being created in my C: drive. When I save voice recordings, it automatically saves it to C:\Users\minan\OneDrive - Company X\Documents\Sound recordingsI have checked and I don't believe I am still connected with Company X's OneDrive anymore. I have tried every solution I ca

:)

MinaNilchian, Jul 13, 2021
  2. Diadochos Win User

OneDrive and user file folders

In Windows 10, I put my user file folders (My Documents, My Music, etc.) into my OneDrive folder. But this seemed to confuse the OneDrive app, as well as Windows. I guess I should have known better than do do this with system folders, rather than just those
    system folders’ subfolders.

Anyway, upon rebooting, the system user file folders reappeared of their own accord in their original, default locations. So evidentally that makes the folders I moved into OneDrive just ‘copies’ that are no longer system folders.

And now it seems the files in my ‘copied’ user file folders often get replicated in, or moved into, the newly-reappeared system user file folders. (And no, I’m sure I didn’t simply accidentally misfile them there.) And I’m pretty sure this is causing OneDrive
    to make backup errors, because now it sometimes asks if I’m sure I want some files removed that I don’t want removed, and that I never tried to remove.

I researched how to move Windows user file folders elsewhere, but none of the instructions I’ve found seem to pertain to my OneDrive problem.

I suppose I could fix this problem by creating a OneDrive folder in each of My Documents, My Music My Pictures and My Videos, and then put my ‘copied’ user file folders into the OneDrive folders, but this seems unduly messy. Also, I don’t know if it could
    cause problems to do this with the other user file folders (Desktop, Favorites, etc.).

So, how do I fix this so that Windows and OneDrive are happy, and my data is still backed up in the cloud?

BTW, is this a complete list of default user file subfolders in a user file folder? So far, I haven’t been able to find such a list.

My Documents

Music

Pictures

Videos

Desktop

Downloads

Scans

Favorites

Links

3D Objects

Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Diadochos, Jul 13, 2021
  3. TarAn_D Win User
    Move the OneDrive Folder

Move the OneDrive Folder in Windows 10

When you set up OneDrive to sync with your computer, a folder C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive will be created to store the contents. XXXX denotes your username. To move this folder to another location follow these simple steps:

1. Unlink OneDrive from your PC:

• Go to the taskbar notification area
    • Right-click on the OneDrive icon
    • Select settings
    • Click: Unlink this PC
    2. Delete the C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive folder

3. Create a new folder (target folder) for OneDrive contents, e.g. D:\OneDrive

4. Create Directory Junction for the new folder

• In the search area of the taskbar type CMD and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
    • In the command window type
    mklink /J C:\Users\XXXX\OneDrive D:\OneDrive

adjusting it to your specific username and selection of the target folder

5. Link again OneDrive to your PC using the OneDrive icon in the taskbar notification area

TarAn_D, Jul 13, 2021
  4. CraigLong Win User

A OneDrive folder keeps being created in my user file

OneDrive and user file folders

Hi Diadochos,

Check out this video which shows how you should have backed up your Documents, Pictures, and Desktop folders to OneDrive.

Those folders should not be moved manually into OneDrive since backup is automatic once you turn on PC Folder Backup. After you turn on the backup the actual locations will be in OneDrive but the files will appear in their usual default locations.

I suggest you create new Music and Videos folders in OneDrive and use those instead of the Music and Videos folders in File Explorer.

Back up your Documents, Pictures, and Desktop folders with OneDrive

Feel free to ask any further questions. I hope that helps.

CraigLong, Jul 13, 2021
Thema:

A OneDrive folder keeps being created in my user file

1. A OneDrive folder keeps being created in my user file - Similar Threads - OneDrive folder keeps

2. OneDrive keeps creating an empty folder on my desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive keeps creating an empty folder on my desktop: Previously I have a folder named "XQ" on my desktop with OneDrive sync on. Afterwards, I merged other folders and this one into another folder stored on my desktop. Now whenever I start-up my computer and use it, a folder is created on my desktop with the exact name "XQ",...
  3. OneDrive keeps creating an empty folder on my desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive keeps creating an empty folder on my desktop: Previously I have a folder named "XQ" on my desktop with OneDrive sync on. Afterwards, I merged other folders and this one into another folder stored on my desktop. Now whenever I start-up my computer and use it, a folder is created on my desktop with the exact name "XQ",...
  4. OneDrive keeps creating an empty folder on my desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. OneDrive and user file folders

OneDrive and user file folders: In Windows 10, I put my user file folders My Documents, My Music, etc. into my OneDrive folder. But this seemed to confuse the OneDrive app, as well as Windows. I guess I should have known better than do do this with system folders, rather than just those system folders’...
  6. Folders Being Created

Folders Being Created: Lately I have noticed that something in (I Think in Windows) is creating 2 folders on my computer. One is called (_CLOUD) and the other is called (ASTRA). I can delete them (and I do). Does anyone know what is causing these folders to be created and if so … How do you turn...
  7. Duplicate files created in OneDrive Folder

Duplicate files created in OneDrive Folder: When I create a new file in a child folder in my "This PC" parent folder, the file is automatically also created in a child folder in my "One Drive" parent folder. As a result, I essentially am doubling the storage usage on my PC. Similarly, if I delete a file from my "One...
  8. Wndows Keeps Creating User Folder

in Windows 10 Support
    Wndows Keeps Creating User Folder: When I first did a clean install of Windows 10 on my laptop, I moved my user 'Documents' folder to 'C:\DataFiles.' I have since created another partition and moved the 'Documents' folder to 'd:\DataFiles.' now even thpugh I delete 'c:\DataFiles' Windows contitues to re-create...
  9. Win 10 update keeps creating new user file folders

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 update keeps creating new user file folders: Every few WIN10 updates or so I end up with my all my settings changed as if it was a brand-new install. no programs, nothing. When I look at the C:/Users directory I get this: C;/Users/Jason (original) C:/Users/Jason.JASONWIN10 (update 2 months ago)...
  10. OneDrive folders appear under my user folder in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Support
    OneDrive folders appear under my user folder in File Explorer: I'm not sure when this happened (prior to my Anniversary update), but something has gone weird in File Explorer. When I view my user folder (from the left navigation of FE), the sub folders for Documents and Pictures shown aren't my local folders at all, but OneDrive folders....