Windows 10: A partition on a USB stick cannot be marked as active.

Discus and support A partition on a USB stick cannot be marked as active. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Code: DISKPART> list volume Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Matthew Wai, Mar 11, 2020.

1. A partition on a USB stick cannot be marked as active.

Code:
    Does anyone know why partition 1 cannot be selected? I want to mark it as active.
    The partitions on other devices can be selected as usual.
    Partition 1 is shown as "Healthy" on Disk Management, but "Mark Partition as Active" is greyed out"

A partition on a USB stick cannot be marked as active. [​IMG]

:)

Matthew Wai, Mar 11, 2020
  2. thraxed Win User

Installing windows off of a USB stick

Step By Step from vista:
    From admin cmd prompt

1. diskpart
    1a. list disk
    2. select disk 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1 (replace 1 with your usb drive)
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\ (d being your vista cd and e being your usb stick)

And that's it, boot off your usb disk

thraxed, Mar 11, 2020
  3. Pauli O Win User
    Why is Mark Partition Active greyed out in Disk Management?

"If I'm correct USB flash drives aren't shipped with an Active partition."

You are right, on normal use USB stick, USB drive or HDD/SSD used just data disk without boot option don't need any active partitions.

On MBR disks only one active partition is allowed and that is System partiton.

Pauli O, Mar 11, 2020
  4. A partition on a USB stick cannot be marked as active.

formatting usb stick format and partitioned into 3 partitions

I formatted a 32 gig usb stick with win32disk manager and copied a raspberry operation system on it. It partioned it into 3 partitions. I can only get to the first partion in disk manager and when I try to format the partitions it only has has help when
    i right click it. Think it might be format with ext3 or ext4, but not sure. when i try to use it only does the first partition. On my microsd cards it let me delete the partition and then format it to use in windows.

Any suggestions?

**moved from Windows / Windows 10 / Devices & drivers

LesCockerill, Mar 11, 2020
Thema:

A partition on a USB stick cannot be marked as active.

1. A partition on a USB stick cannot be marked as active. - Similar Threads - partition USB stick

2. USB stick cannot be opened on Windows XP

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB stick cannot be opened on Windows XP: Hello, I recently found an old PC that has Windows XP and an Athlon. I've found around 50GB worth of old photos and I would like to move them to my PC. It does not connect to the internet, I have tried absolutely everything, but it also cannot open any storage external hard...
  3. USB stick cannot be opened on Windows XP

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB stick cannot be opened on Windows XP: Hello, I recently found an old PC that has Windows XP and an Athlon. I've found around 50GB worth of old photos and I would like to move them to my PC. It does not connect to the internet, I have tried absolutely everything, but it also cannot open any storage external hard...
  4. Cannot merge USB partitions

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Cannot merge USB partitions: I have a approximate 14.5 GB USB pen drive. Once I had installed an operating system on it, which made its main partition only about 200 MB. Now, I want to remove the installed operating system on that and want to use the whole USB. So I formatted the USB, but again, because...
  5. A partition on a USB stick cannot be selected via DiskPart.

A partition on a USB stick cannot be selected via DiskPart.: Code: DISKPART> list volume Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info ---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- -------- Volume 0 Z DVD-ROM 0 B No Media Volume 1 C Windows 10 NTFS Partition 80 GB Healthy Boot Volume 2 Recovery NTFS Partition 528 MB...
  6. Marked the wrong partition as active

in Windows 10 Support
    Marked the wrong partition as active: While trying to solve a different problem i followed an article: You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive from Setup, 0xc1900104 In which i went into disk managment and marked a different partition as active which does not have an OS, how can i revert back to the other...
  7. Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Why is a separate partition marked as active instead of the boot drive: I have two storage devices in my PC. One is a 128GB SSD which is used as the System disk (where I installed my OS) and the other is a 1 TB HDD which is used for keeping my usual files, docs, movies etc. As I have mentioned, Windows 10 is installed in the SSD, I never...
  8. usb stick

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    usb stick: When using the media creation tool and when you get to the part where you can choose 'create USB stick' or 'ISO file> (Rufus not shown)', is it the same either way or is one better than the other? I used the ISO file and then Rufus to create the bootable stick to install Win...
  9. put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick?

put a 4gb fat16 partition on a 8gb USB stick?: I work with HAAS CNC lathes and mills, which only accept FAT16-formatted USB drives. I ahve an old 2gb drive that is starting to fail so I got a new drive. problem is the smallest size I could find is 8GB, which is too big for FAT16. I tried using Disk Management but the...
  10. windows wouldn't shut down, then marked wrong partition active

in Windows 10 Support
    windows wouldn't shut down, then marked wrong partition active: My dad's PC wouldn't shut down it would hang forever on the spinning circle. I had him try a bunch of things but I accidentally marked the C partition as active. This prevented the machine from booting. I used the win10 disk and had him mark it inactive with DISKPART...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. marked stick cle