Windows 10: A phantom removable drive is showing up in disk management

Discus and support A phantom removable drive is showing up in disk management in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; There is no drive assigned. I wonder what it refers to? I've checked the registry but can't figure it out. How would I remove it? [img] 40439 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jmikef, Feb 9, 2016.

1. jmikef Win User

A phantom removable drive is showing up in disk management

There is no drive assigned. I wonder what it refers to? I've checked the registry but can't figure it out. How would I remove it?

A phantom removable drive is showing up in disk management [​IMG]

:)

jmikef, Feb 9, 2016

2. Windows 10 isA phantom removable drive is showing up in disk management :) assigning Local Disks that don't exist. I now have E-K & want to remove them

You could launch the Disk Manager and remove the drive letters of the phantom drives. They will then no longer show up in Windows Explorer.

Frederik Long, Feb 9, 2016
  3. sadnewbie Win User
    non existing phantom drives listed as Unknown devices in Device Manager

Original title: Phantom drive in Windows 10

OS Windows 10. My computer showed two phantom drives. I tried to eject them through the “Safely remove hardware and eject media” but I never get a list of those drives to remove.

I also tried through the Device Manager> View> Show Hidden Devices> but those phantom drives do not show in the listing, so I can’t uninstall them. It did show a “WPD FileSystem Volume Driver” with a yellow triangle and I clicked to uninstall. Then
    I moved to Disk drives in the same Device manager and it listed one non-existing drive. I clicked on uninstall and after a little time it instructed me to restart the computer which I did by clicking the “restart now’. The computer went to restart and just
    hanged in there, allowed it to work the restart for a couple of hours so I finally did a hard reboot.

When it finally came on, I clicked on the Windows Explorer> This PC. This time it showed only one phantom drive as “Local Disk H:”

Opened again Device Manage> View> Show hidden devices> under disks it only showed the correct disks installed on the PC. Under portable devices showed: Unknown device, so I did uninstall it. Closed the Device manager. No restart request this time.

On Windows explorer it still shows the phantom drive as “Local Disk H:”

Next I went to Disk Management. The window for it came up but although it says “Connecting to Virtual Disk Service,” it never shows anything in spite of letting it work for a couple of hours. I believe the PC gets confused searching for that non-existing
    phantom drive. Also checked under Computer management> Services> Virtual Disk: and it said it was running. Still nothing shows in Disk Management.

The Phantom disk I believe is interfering with the search feature in Windows Explorer since every time I try to find a document it takes too long.

On my frustration downloaded from Microsoft the “Windows installation tool” for my Windows 10 and tried that to see if a repair would get me clear of that non-existing drive. However after doing that repair it still did list the non-existing drive.
    So I tried again with that DVD and did a reinstall of Windows 10. No luck the phantom drive is still there; if I click on it the computer tries to find it and just hangs in there and nothing can be done on it just freezes.

Any help and suggestions will be greatly appreciated

sadnewbie, Feb 9, 2016
  4. jmikef Win User

Ah, forgot I had a card reader. I assigned it a letter, and inserted media, and it's OK now.

jmikef, Feb 10, 2016
Thema:

1. A phantom removable drive is showing up in disk management - Similar Threads - phantom removable drive

2. Drives not showing up in drive manager.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Drives not showing up in drive manager.: I just factory reseted my pc today and my ssd that i had installed isnt showing up anymore, also I installed a new M.2 drive that also isnt showing up. I've watched a bunch of videos trying to fix this problem but they all tell me the same thing, to go to drive manager and...
  3. My new drive isnt showing up in disk manager.

My new drive isnt showing up in disk manager.: I just got a new ssd not too long ago and im trying to install it. Its not working as storage so I have to configure it. It is detected under "disk drives" as Samsung SSD 870 EVO 1 TB but whenever I open disk management, it doesnt show a second drive. I already checked the...
  4. Drive shows up in Disk Management, but not in File Explorer

Drive shows up in Disk Management, but not in File Explorer: I'm running bootcamp Windows 10 on MacOS Monterey 2018 Macbook Air. I've been using the hard drive Seagate backup to play valorant. However, after a computer restart, now it doesn't show up in file explorer. I tried this on another pc, both running windows 10, and got the...
  5. Drive shows up in Disk Management, but not in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive shows up in Disk Management, but not in File Explorer: I'm running bootcamp Windows 10 on MacOS Monterey 2018 Macbook Air. I've been using the hard drive Seagate backup to play valorant. However, after a computer restart, now it doesn't show up in file explorer. I tried this on another pc, both running windows 10, and got the...
  6. Drive shows up in Disk Management, but not in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Disk partition not showing up in disk management

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Disk partition not showing up in disk management: I installed a windows 10 update yesterday and now I have lost my D and E drive and all of the data that was on there. When I go into disk management the only drive that shows up is the C drive and 3 others that are called disk 0 partition 1, 4 and 5. When I go into file...
  8. Hard drive shows up in device manager but no in disk management

Hard drive shows up in device manager but no in disk management: I have a few months old Seagate 2tb HDD that just today began to not show up in my drives in file explorer. After screwing with SATA and power cables (to no prevail). It was previously assigned a letter and didn't show any sign of failure, any help?...
  9. My 2nd hard drive shows up in device manager but does not show up in disk management.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My 2nd hard drive shows up in device manager but does not show up in disk management.: How can I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-2nd-hard-drive-shows-up-in-device-manager-but/20dbfc90-2335-42f1-8dee-7b1c0abd58b4"
  10. New drive not showing up in explorer or disk management

New drive not showing up in explorer or disk management: Its a 4TB Barracuda Pro 6 GB/s It shows up in the BIOS (of course it does) but nowhere else. When I first went into disk management I got a prompt asking which partition I wanted and I chose GPT, but the drive didn't show up after. Ive tried different sata ports, memory...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. disk manager shows phatom hard drive

2. windows 10 phantom removable device

3. phantom removable disks

4. ive got a phatom usb drive showing up