Windows 10: A possible issue when setting up a folder in the environment path...

Discus and support A possible issue when setting up a folder in the environment path... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; The other day I was setting up this: C:\Python27 in the environment variable path so I can access Python from the command prompt. Usually in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BunnyJ, Feb 18, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

A possible issue when setting up a folder in the environment path...

The other day I was setting up this: C:\Python27 in the environment variable path so I can access Python from the command prompt. Usually in the previous builds and in Win8/Win7 you just perform the set up in the PC/Computer properties and when you're pressed Ok the requisite number of times and start the command prompt it's all set for you use.

Well, this time.. it did go that way. I issued a path command in the command prompt and the C:\Python27 didn't show up like it should have. So, I performed a reboot and it then worked just fine.

Just wanting to let others know of this situation and I plan on making a post in the MS feedback concerning this issue. And when the next build comes out I'll test this again and report back.

HTH
    Jeff *Smile

:)

BunnyJ, Feb 18, 2015
  2. Perkins.T Win User

How to add a Path in Environment Variables in Windows 10?

I have a program I like to run from command from any directory called xl.exe. In Win 7 and 8 I was able to add a path to environmental variables by putting ;C:\xl at the end of 'Path'. I tried this with Windows 10, but when attempting to run the program
    I get the error "'xl' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I need to go all the way back to c: to run the program, which is inconvenient because the files I want to work with are not on c:.

I have tried putting C:\xl at the beginning of the list, the middle of the list, and the end of the list. I have changed the name of the program (in case it was too short? I know, that's dumb...) I have tried it with and without the .exe. I have tried making
    a folder so that the program is not directly on the c: drive, in case that is somehow causing the confusion. I have tried all of these things under both user variables and system variables. I have restarted my computer between every attempt. What am I doing
    wrong?

Thanks!

Perkins.T, Feb 18, 2015
  3. How to add a Path in Environment Variables in Windows 10?

Hello Perkins,

Thank you for posting your concern in Microsoft Community and welcome to the Windows 10 Family.

If your computer is connected to a Domain Network, then it would be better to post the same question in Microsoft TechNet forum for further assistance with this issue.

We have a dedicated team with advanced tools and permissions to help you with this type of Domain issues.

Link: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=WinPreview2014General%2CWinPreview2015Phone&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

Thank You.

Sayan_Ghosh, Feb 18, 2015
  4. adamf Win User

Did you restart cmd? I just tested this and did not have to sign off or reboot. You do need to close all cmd windows and then reopen.

adamf, Feb 18, 2015
  5. BunnyJ New Member
    I did and I still have the issue. I just set up: C:\python27\Scripts in the environment path and this is what I get:

A possible issue when setting up a folder in the environment  path... [​IMG]

And Yes. I did restart the command prompt... now I'll restart my PC.

And now you can see that the folder appears when I issue the path command.

A possible issue when setting up a folder in the environment  path... [​IMG]

So.. odd. But not a huge issue for now.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Feb 18, 2015
  6. adamf Win User
    Weird. Works for me and I'm on 9926 also. I can't think what to suggest I'm afraid. Wait and see what happens in the next build perhaps as you said.

adamf, Feb 18, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    Thanks for the input on this. It's not a huge issue since I found a way around this but I just wanted to post it here so others can be aware of it and/or have them supply some feedback on this.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. A possible issue when setting up a folder in the environment path... - Similar Threads - possible issue setting

2. Folder path user profiles issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Folder path user profiles issue: We have user profiles in windows 10 system stored on D: partition.However they are logically stored on D:\UserData, but actual physical path is D:\Users.It means if I browse to D:\UserData, I am redirected to D:\Users. Path on windows explorer address bar shows "This PC >...
  3. Folder path user profiles issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Folder path user profiles issue: We have user profiles in windows 10 system stored on D: partition.However they are logically stored on D:\UserData, but actual physical path is D:\Users.It means if I browse to D:\UserData, I am redirected to D:\Users. Path on windows explorer address bar shows "This PC >...
  4. Folder path user profiles issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. set path in windows 10 for environment variables

in Windows 10 Customization
    set path in windows 10 for environment variables: Set path in windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/set-path-in-windows-10-for-environment-variables/b608e15a-4994-4d1a-ae4e-1d220293dc22
  6. Multiple PATH environment variables

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Multiple PATH environment variables: [ATTACH] There's a package that I want to install and it says in order to install it, it needs to be added to the PATH. Upon checking my environment variables, I noticed there are three of them as shown:...
  7. Setting path variable in Environment variables Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Setting path variable in Environment variables Windows 10: How can I stack up multiple path variables? Currently, it overwrites the old one when I try to edit. (I believe mindless updates are bad and updates should only happen when it is reasonably certain they will improve usability, and not just so that some people have a job.)...
  8. Is it possible to get always the full path of a folder in windows10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Is it possible to get always the full path of a folder in windows10?: I would like to have this feature as default, as a long time ago. An address like C:\Users\User Name\Documents\folder1\folder2 Thank you. 117815
  9. Automated modification of PATH environment variables

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Automated modification of PATH environment variables: The following archive contains scripts to safely edit the "Path" values in HKCU and HKLM. Useful to run after a new installation. path.7z New path inclusions are specified in "path.txt". Run "path.bat" to commit any changes. 103736
  10. Reset Java Environment Variable Path

in Windows 10 Support
    Reset Java Environment Variable Path: I had to restore my PC to factory settings because of a virus (maybe overkill, not sure) and reinstalled the Java JDK and editing the Environment Variable for Path. First try gave me this: [img] Second try gave me this (I can't remember how): [img] I'm trying...